Drexel University Class Of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mylaina said:
The college of medicine fin aid application is what you fill out at your pre-interview this summer. Just have your FAFSA done and printed out when you go to that.

As for options other than MedLoans-- I am not 100% sure, but I think most students use them because they are convinent (no research necessary). I just didn't have the knowledge or time to research bank loans. Try and call and ask the Fin Aid office.

Thank you Mylaina :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Is it too late to schedule the financial aid interview? I'm waiting on a few waitlists before I will be 100% sure that I will be attending Drexel and I don't want to fly out to the east coast if it is not necesary. I guess I'll call tomorrow and talk to the people from financial aid. But if anybody else has called your input would be appreciated.

Anyone get off Drexel's waitlist recently? I sent in a letter of intent and I'd really like to be a part of the class of 2008. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are from the West coast, you can call the office and do your interview over the phone. With that being said... I'm not sure how signing the form and getting the money works.

Scheduling the interview isn't a big deal-- it's a group of students in the room. I would call and ask though, cause it's been 2 years since I had to schedule mine. ;)

Waitlist movement hasn't started yet-- 2 more weeks.

I just got a letter saying the cost for a year is $56K a year. :eek:

Has everyone got there financial aid award yet. I haven't and I submitted my FAFSA in Jan.

wesgirl04 said:
hi all, i'm trying to decide whether i will go to drexel or one of a couple other schools.... can you all tell me what it is that made you choose drexel over whatever other schools you got into?
thanks

I would not go to Drexel if i had a choice. The two major reasons are the cost and the fact that MCP will probably be closing in the near future. Without MCP finding clinical rotation spots at affiliate hospitals will be tough. Not that drexel is a bad school, it has many good points that have been mentioned above, but why attend a school that is going through a transition phase. Until Drexel resolves its financial problems i would not recommend going there.

Adapt said:
I just got a letter saying the cost for a year is $56K a year. :eek:

Has everyone got there financial aid award yet. I haven't and I submitted my FAFSA in Jan.

Same here, and no, I haven't gotten the financial aid award yet either. Just that letter you mentioned. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, except that tuition has gone up.

bmwm3 said:
I would not go to Drexel if i had a choice. The two major reasons are the cost and the fact that MCP will probably be closing in the near future. Without MCP finding clinical rotation spots at affiliate hospitals will be tough.

More likely than not, MCP will not be closing because there are four potential buyers bidding on the hospital right now. It will remain open in some capacity. Also, Hahnemann hospital in Center City is a major clinical spot for Drexel students along with the many affliate hospitals in the area.

bmwm3 said:
I would not go to Drexel if i had a choice. The two major reasons are the cost and the fact that MCP will probably be closing in the near future. Without MCP finding clinical rotation spots at affiliate hospitals will be tough. Not that drexel is a bad school, it has many good points that have been mentioned above, but why attend a school that is going through a transition phase. Until Drexel resolves its financial problems i would not recommend going there.

Please do not make comments about a school when you don't know the facts. First of all, the students don't go off and "find" clinical rotation spots. There are faculty that take care of this for us. Right now, the problem is not knowing whether MCP will be open and if students can rotate there. The problem is *not* a lack of spots to rotate at.

Additionally, *drexel* is not going through financial problems, *tenet* is. They are TWO DIFFERENT institutions.

Again, please get your facts straight.

Also, you don't get your fin. aid reward until you go to the entrance meeting this summer. Even then, you don't get money, just know what you are requesting.

Ms.Doctor said:
Please do not make comments about a school when you don't know the facts.

On the other hand... anything that encourages people NOT to go to Drexel and the waitlist to move really doesn't bother ME. ;)

Mylaina said:
The college of medicine fin aid application is what you fill out at your pre-interview this summer. Just have your FAFSA done and printed out when you go to that.

As for options other than MedLoans-- I am not 100% sure, but I think most students use them because they are convinent (no research necessary). I just didn't have the knowledge or time to research bank loans. Try and call and ask the Fin Aid office.
I would stay away from MedLoans. They charge a 3% origination fee. If you're borrowing 38500+, that's a large chunk of change that could have gone into your pockets. There are many lenders that don't charge upfront fees. Look into T.H.E loans (www.northstar.org) or the Access Group (www.accessgroup.com).

You can learn more from perusing the financial aid forum.

oldtimer said:
I would stay away from MedLoans. They charge a 3% origination fee. If you're borrowing 38500+, that's a large chunk of change that could have gone into your pockets. There are many lenders that don't charge upfront fees. Look into T.H.E loans (www.northstar.org) or the Access Group (www.accessgroup.com).

This is great info...thanks!

BUMP! for any new folks out there....

Members don't see this ad :)
did you guys get the letter saying that there won't be any one-on-one financial counseling sessions, rather it will be held during orientation. IFM = $57,250/yr and PBL = $58,190/yr. I wonder why there is a difference. Either way god d$mn that is expensive.

I like the group session idea better that way someone might ask a question that I would otherwise not think of. It also eliminates the hassle of scheduling one of those one on one interviews.

And yes, this is definitely one expensive endeavor. I'm still trying to calculate rent and how much money per month I am going to need for living expenses. I've almost secured myself a 1 bedroom/studio in Center City. I'm going to be looking at a few more places on monday. They are all within walking distance to Hahnemann Hospital, which I can then take the shuttle to East Falls. It looks like I will be paying around $850/month for rent and all utilities except cable and internet. If anyone wants any more information, feel free to post here or PM me.

There never was a "one-on-one" fin. aid sessions-- they were always the fin aid person and like 10 people. Our classes complained about having to come out for the summer sessions, so this is good to hear that they took our complaints and acted on them.

Although I don't know, the increased PIL pricing could be due to the fact that we get a ton more clinical exposure than IFM.

I actually think it's because technically, the PIL school year is 1 or 2 weeks longer than the IFM year, so you get more financial aid for the increased living expenses.

Good luck to all - we'll see you this summer!
:)

pwrpfgrl said:
I actually think it's because technically, the PIL school year is 1 or 2 weeks longer than the IFM year, so you get more financial aid for the increased living expenses.

Good luck to all - we'll see you this summer!

sounds about right. No use patting yourself on the back Ms. Doctor :)

Although I have the tendency to portray PIL in a very positive light, I wasn't patting ourselves on the back. ;) While PIL-1 gets out of school 2 weeks later than IFM, PIL-2 gets out of school about 2 weeks earlier than IFM-2.

The Clinical skills was all I could think of that was really drastically different between the two programs (both have offices with staff, both have lecturers, etc...)

Maybe I'll ask Dr. Puglia next time I am at school, I'm curious now.

I believe that PIL is more because since the last part of the year the PIL students are doing clinical work with a physician, it might be up to an hour away so I think they are accouting for any other expenses you may incur during that period.

here's another question. How is it that school can start in august and then go to june? That's pretty damn annoying. I think drexel is the only school with this schedule, at least the only school i know.

I have a question:
Does the loan money technically cover expenses all year round or only for when school is in session? If not, what if our loans do not completely cover the cost of rent, utilities, and living during the "off season"?

As an aside, I plan on getting Quicken (for free, perhaps) or similar program and tracking my living expenses during my first year so that I can make more intelligent loan decisions for the remaining three years. I only wish I had enough foresight to do that for this past year.

does anyone have the 2004 match list?

MErc44 said:
here's another question. How is it that school can start in august and then go to june? That's pretty damn annoying. I think drexel is the only school with this schedule, at least the only school i know.

Hmmm... there are people that I know who started in August and some of them (as second years) and just finishing now, whereas Drexel's students get out in late April/early May for year 2.

ForensicPath said:
I have a question:
Does the loan money technically cover expenses all year round or only for when school is in session? If not, what if our loans do not completely cover the cost of rent, utilities, and living during the "off season"?

As an aside, I plan on getting Quicken (for free, perhaps) or similar program and tracking my living expenses during my first year so that I can make more intelligent loan decisions for the remaining three years. I only wish I had enough foresight to do that for this past year.

The loan money is supposed to last the whole year-- it can get tight in the last month or so. ;-) But that's how I picked my apartment and other expenses to make sure it lasted.

Regarding housing...I primarily used the website www.homestore.com and searched near 19144. There is definitely a mouse problem in the area of all the apartments, but if you have the holes all fixed up, then it's no problem.

Alden Park apartments are quite eye pleasing (old historic looking building) with a nice gym, but quite expensive and they have funny things with their heat sometimes during the winter. They are within walking distance.

Don't live in School House Lane (all I hear is negative comments from people that lived there).

There are some other apartments near the school, but I don't remember the names of them. Some are only 2 BRs though.

I would advise not living in one of the rented out houses across the street from the school-- a number of people have had problems with them. Additionally, I strongly recommend living in a high rise, now more than ever. The area around the school is not the most safe, and it's good to not have windows/doors that open to the ground and aren't guarded, to prevent robberies.

I knew a few people who live(d) in Park Heights. I hear reasonable things about it. It's nothing really special, but it's a good size for the money (in philly), gas is included (yes, that means heat in the winter), and has security. It's one of the high rises. The exercise room is adequate, but not super. The management was always really nice to my friends when I was there.

There is another place called Blythewood Estates, but I don't know much about that one. Also, Carlton Park? I think that's the name-- it's next door to the school (if facing the school, on the right).

You should be alright getting an apartment in the next month or so and still have your choice, but if you specifically want a studio, I would go sooner (not as many of them and they go fast). But one bedrooms will probably stick around for a bit....

I know some people at some of the various buildings mentioned above-- if you want names/emails to contact to get more information, please let me know-- via PM!

Other Drexel students have other comments? I don't know much about the "other" side of the school (non-Wissahickon).

the match for 2004 looks pretty good but I don't really know much about the programs. I was referring to year 1. I got a schedule when i was interviewing and they finish at the beginning of june. Year 2 gets out much earlier.

myID said:
http://webcampus.med.drexel.edu/Admissions/

Click on Admissions, then Why Drexel?, then Residency Placement.

Has anyone else been apartment hunting yet? I have only been to Philly twice before and don't even know where to start.

I have been. I hope to sign a lease by the end of the week. I looked briefly at the manayunk area, but have focused my search to Center City. I have found that you can find a place in CC for not too much more than you would be paying for a place closer to school. I have been looking primarily at places that are within walking distance or close public transportation distance to Hahnemann hospital so I can then take the shuttle to East Falls. I have a number of reasons for wanting to live in Center City including the fact that I am still waitlisted at Jefferson. I also do not want to be within walking distance of Drexel so I don't feel like I am there ALL the time. I find it nice to separate school/work life from home life. Not to forget that the Center City social scene is also a little more lively than that of East Falls. I like the social scene in Manayunk, but there is just simply more to do in Center City.

Ms.Doctor said:
Although I have the tendency to portray PIL in a very positive light, I wasn't patting ourselves on the back. ;) While PIL-1 gets out of school 2 weeks later than IFM, PIL-2 gets out of school about 2 weeks earlier than IFM-2.

The Clinical skills was all I could think of that was really drastically different between the two programs (both have offices with staff, both have lecturers, etc...)

Maybe I'll ask Dr. Puglia next time I am at school, I'm curious now.
Yeah, that's what i remember them telling us last year - but after one year of med school, who knows how reliable my memory is! ;) I'd be interested to hear what Dr. P says.

And even though first year PILs are in "school" a bit longer, the last 7 weeks we are at a clinical site (PCP), which has been great, and not nearly as intense as regular classes (of course, maybe it's just because i've been slacking off for the last 5 weeks and now have to get my act together before finals!)

if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me as well.

myID said:
Has anyone else been apartment hunting yet? I have only been to Philly twice before and don't even know where to start.

I just found a place fairly close to school last Monday, over across Fairmount Park, near PCOM. It's right at the edge of the park in a converted house, with a garage, washer/dryer, A/C, the works. There's a back way to school so I don't have to deal with the traffic on Route 1. I used craigslist and had really good luck with it. Seemed like there were a lot of places in East Falls, Manayunk, Roxborough, and Germantown, all of which are reasonably close to school.

I visited School Lane House and Ms.Doctor is right...they're a little ghetto. Park Heights was pretty nice...I looked at a couple of places in there and they seemed fine. Alden Park looks amazing from the outside, but we didn't go in to look because they seemed like they'd be expensive.

Another thing I did that seemed to work well was, I put an ad in the "Housing Wanted" section on craigslist. It was free, and I got several responses with available apartments.

I'm hopefully going to be living in Roxborough. My boyfriend and I are buying a condo there and hopefully nothing will go wrong between now and settlement. I'm a little worried about the commute, but figure that it can't take more than 15-20 mins during rush hour. Does anyone know how long the commute would be from Roxborough to Upenn? Thats where my boyfriend will be going to school.

I'm getting so excited for school, but also somewhat scared. I know that I'll be balling my eyes out during the white coat ceremony. Does anyone else get emotional about that stuff? I'll be the one with lots of tissues...hehe

I'm a second year at Drexel, and live in Roxborough. It's very convenient to Drexel Med and probably no more than 20 minutes or so to Penn. Your plan sounds very doable, from my perspective. Good luck with first year.

snapdad said:
I just found a place fairly close to school last Monday, over across Fairmount Park, near PCOM. It's right at the edge of the park in a converted house, with a garage, washer/dryer, A/C, the works. There's a back way to school so I don't have to deal with the traffic on Route 1. I used craigslist and had really good luck with it. Seemed like there were a lot of places in East Falls, Manayunk, Roxborough, and Germantown, all of which are reasonably close to school.

Great idea snapdad. PCOM is in an area that is pretty nice-- you are right near a good grocery store (none in East Falls-- avoid Chelten if you can). However, there are some sketch neighborhoods nearby (welcome to city life, eh?) And it's a pretty quick drive to East Falls.

My only comment regarding your post-- and I know this is totally stereotyping, but if you are a female, I really must suggest not to live in the converted house apartments, especially not the first floor. Sorry to get all "mom", but a friend's place (converted house) just got broken into and she really got freaked out. She lived on the first floor. So just make sure it's secure. Okay, sorry about the mom moment! :)

Good luck with the apartment hunt. Oh yeah-- I cried at the WC!!!

Ms.Doctor said:
My only comment regarding your post-- and I know this is totally stereotyping, but if you are a female, I really must suggest not to live in the converted house apartments, especially not the first floor. Sorry to get all "mom", but a friend's place (converted house) just got broken into and she really got freaked out. She lived on the first floor. So just make sure it's secure. Okay, sorry about the mom moment! :)

No worries...it's good to know this stuff in advance. I'm a guy, but I still wouldn't be thrilled to have my place broken into, especially as I have some musical instruments that it'd be hard to replace. Luckily enough, I'll be on the second floor...the first floor is a couple of PCOM students. If you don't mind my asking, what area does your friend live in?

No Problem... I just think women tend to be targetted more, but that might just be personal bias! ;)

My friend lives in the East Falls area near the school. Get some renter's insurance to cover stuff--- it costs less than $200 a year and it'll replace anything (although things like musical instruments have sentimental value whereas TVs and DVDs.... perhaps not so much)

Ms.Doctor said:
Regarding housing...I primarily used the website www.homestore.com and searched near 19144. There is definitely a mouse problem in the area of all the apartments, but if you have the holes all fixed up, then it's no problem.

Alden Park apartments are quite eye pleasing (old historic looking building) with a nice gym, but quite expensive and they have funny things with their heat sometimes during the winter. They are within walking distance.

Don't live in School House Lane (all I hear is negative comments from people that lived there).

There are some other apartments near the school, but I don't remember the names of them. Some are only 2 BRs though.

I knew a few people who live(d) in Park Heights. I hear reasonable things about it. It's nothing really special, but it's a good size for the money (in philly), gas is included (yes, that means heat in the winter), and has security. It's one of the high rises. The exercise room is adequate, but not super. The management was always really nice to my friends when I was there.

You should be alright getting an apartment in the next month or so and still have your choice, but if you specifically want a studio, I would go sooner (not as many of them and they go fast). But one bedrooms will probably stick around for a bit....

Other Drexel students have other comments? I don't know much about the "other" side of the school (non-Wissahickon).

I'm new to this SDN thing... so I apologize if I don't do this correctly.

I went and visited 3 places over the weekend: Alden Park, Park Heights and School House Lane.

If you're interested in Alden Park, go take a look while there are places left! They're having a special where you can get 100 bucks off your rent for the year. :thumbup: They dotn' have many 1br spots left (which are actually about the same price as their studios). Except for the really expensive electricity bills in the winter due to the old windows, the place seems like a great place. (I filled out the application for a 1br).

School House lane was about the same price as Alden (with the discount rent), but to me it just didn't compare. Plus, my mom didn't like how the parking was across the st. You know moms and their safety concerns!

Park Heights was definitely the worst of the 3. However, if you want to save on rent thats the place to go.

After talking to the leasing agents, they definitely said now is when they get really busy. They recommend going and looking at places soon, before all the best places for your money are taken!!!

I have checked out all the above mentioned places: Alden Park, Park Heights, and School Lane House.

Alden Park is nice because of gated parking/access and the amenities(pool, fitness center) which we really dont need, but it so expensive for a 1bedroom for how old the place is. The studios are the size of a closet if you want a good price. Nice if you can afford 825 for a 1bedroom plus elec.

Park Heights has very limited availability if any right now for studios or 1bedrooms. Nice place with lots of students for decent price.

School lane house seems decent for the price of a large studio or if you want to pay more for a 1bedroom but I have heard everyone say to stay away from it and it got really bad ratings online, so i stayed away.

I recommend EMPIRIAN luxury towers. Seems like a good enough place, high rise building which is good b/c the areas around it arent the best but it is a city. You can get cheap studios/1 bedrooms there.

I chose Alden park because of the 100 off of the rent for each month of the year, which makes it 745-755 a month for the 1 br. Personally, having the pool and fitness center onsite were a big part of my decision. The 100 off applies to all units, and also if you don't want to use that there is a coupon on apartmentguide.com for 'first month rent free'. Just go to aparments-Pa-philly-search alden. (you just can't use both discounts)

When are you guys going to start moving into the area??

RU2003 said:
I recommend EMPIRIAN luxury towers. Seems like a good enough place, high rise building which is good b/c the areas around it arent the best but it is a city. You can get cheap studios/1 bedrooms there.

Thanks RU2003, I forgot to mention Empirian... This is a nice building. I always forget about it because it's beyond my apartment. I was choosing between that one and Park Heights, but I choose Park Heights because it was closer (empirian was pushing the limits of a daily walk to school with all my books!) I've heard good things about it too.

Keep in mind, SHL, Park Heights, and Alden all have fitness centers. The Park Heights one is small, but I never had a problem with other people in it when I wanted to use it (people rarely use it). I'm not sure about Empirian...

Are there places you can rent by the month? I don't want to sign a lease and then get off the waitlist at another school, because if I get off the waitlist I won't be going to Drexel. Ms. Doctor, do you know any other students who were in my situation?

MErc44 said:
Are there places you can rent by the month? I don't want to sign a lease and then get off the waitlist at another school, because if I get off the waitlist I won't be going to Drexel. Ms. Doctor, do you know any other students who were in my situation?

No, I don't know anyone else who did that. I really don't think many of the places are rented by the month (at least not from the start-- some places give you that option after you've been there for a year). Honestly, a number of students found their places during orientation (i.e. those who lived far away and didn't want to pay for more than one plane trip!)-- one friend was in a studio in Alden. The selection won't be as big, but you can still find places to live. Don't get scared into signing a lease right away-- the purpose of the leasing agents is to sell the apartments, they are going to tell you to sign today or lose it!

MErc44 said:

Look for places to sublet. Sublets tend to be widely available in the summer months. Check out craigslist or http://www.sublet.com/city_rentals/Philadelphia_Rentals.asp

But if Merc sublets from another student/person, then he can't keep the apartment for this year, necessarily. Is that what you wanted to do, Merc? or just move out, and then find a perm. place once you are here.

Try searching just for places with monthly rent. They may be out there!

Ms.Doctor said:
But if Merc sublets from another student/person, then he can't keep the apartment for this year, necessarily. Is that what you wanted to do, Merc? or just move out, and then find a perm. place once you are here.

Try searching just for places with monthly rent. They may be out there!

When I was looking for an apartment recently I came across a number of ads for a sublet and an option to take over the lease after that current lease was up.

ooh- nice call FP. Most people I know that have subletted only do so for a month or two because they technically aren't supposed to.... but that makes sense if perhaps, it's not a huge business run apartment.

MErc44 said:

ONce you begin orientation during med school, you're technically enrolled and you're not allowed to quit to attend another school... IN fact, other schools can't offer you an acceptance one you begin orientation at another... I'm not sure if this is what you're afriad of.

I live in California so I won't be making many trips out to Philadelphia. I probably won't look for a place until july sometime but I am apprehensive to sign a lease when there is a possibility I may get off the waitlist at Tulane. I am hoping to hear from them shortly so i won't have to deal with this crap but I'm not sure it will happen. It's a pretty difficult situation with no real solution in sight at least from my end. Besides I will be in school until mid june so i don't really have time to do search for housing with finals coming up.

anyone know if there is a special form required for our physical??? Or do we even need to get one?? Hoepfully they will be sending us some information pretty soon.

MErc44 said:
anyone know if there is a special form required for our physical??? Or do we even need to get one?? Hoepfully they will be sending us some information pretty soon.

That's funny, I just looked this up today. The Class of 2008 website says that we will be able to download the form and to check back later for more information. So I guess try not to worry about it for now.