Drexel University Class Of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shakenotstirred said:
you better go in person bull---my phone's been doing the same thing. I think they're overrun.

Also, anyone doing PIL? I'm still on the fence...I think I hate having to end my summer a week short because of it...i heard that PIL was kinda losing popularity, too much work or some bs like that. As of now, in IFM, but looking to maybe change...anyone?

Hey I went in today. And they were completely closed. Apparently someone was sick in the office. I guess they only have a few people in the office...cause one person sick should not close a normal finaid office.
So that is the update.

I am trying to do PIL. But I applied about a month and half ago and still have not heard back. I was told it would only take two weeks. So much for that. I've called in twice...sigh.

Members don't see this ad.

Shakenotstirred said:
Also, anyone doing PIL? I'm still on the fence...I think I hate having to end my summer a week short because of it...i heard that PIL was kinda losing popularity, too much work or some bs like that. As of now, in IFM, but looking to maybe change...anyone?

There is a pretty good discussion of PIL vs. IFM on pages 1 & 3 of this thread; that might help you with your decision. I am doing IFM (although I originally thought that I would do PIL).

Please reference my old posts and other PIL student posts. It's not actually "more work". We have just as many notes and lectures given to us, typical texts, just like IFM. It's different types of work and thinking that they teach us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ms.Doctor said:
Please reference my old posts and other PIL student posts. It's not actually "more work". We have just as many notes and lectures given to us, typical texts, just like IFM. It's different types of work and thinking that they teach us.

Hey Ms. Doctor,

I applied to PIL weeks ago about 6 and still have not heard back. Do you think this means I didn't get in? I am dying to figure out what my schedule will be like..and when i will start exactly. But still no word even after calling twice and being told it would take no more than two weeks.
What do you think i shoudl do next?

bullhorn said:
Hey Ms. Doctor,

I applied to PIL weeks ago about 6 and still have not heard back. Do you think this means I didn't get in? I am dying to figure out what my schedule will be like..and when i will start exactly. But still no word even after calling twice and being told it would take no more than two weeks.
What do you think i shoudl do next?

Did they definitely get your application? I would verify that they did. I accidently sent mine to the Office of Admissions instead of the PIL office, so I didn't hear for months until I called and found out that they never received my app!!

I would call and double check that they got your application and say that you sent it in 6 weeks ago. The turnover really is 2 weeks or so (at least the people I know).

With that being said, perhaps staff is out of the office since it's break and things are getting slow? There are only 4 staff members, who are usually pretty efficient, but if some are missing....

I don't think no word is the end. More likely, something is misplaced or held up. Good luck!

I got asked some questions, and I wanted to post the response I wrote out since it was long and it would probably be helpful for others....

Regarding the "presentations" that PIL students do that IFM doesn't. Are they real? What are they?:
They do exist. These are called IPAs (individual process assessment or something like that). There are 4 of these total over the 4 years. They are 24 hour exams. On the first day, you sit alone in a room, are given a case (just like during group sessions, except you only get one page with lots of information instead of 5 pages with the same info spread across the pages). So basically you have the patient complaint, history, physical and lab findings. You have to write down pertinent data, come up with 3 diagnoses, and make learning issues. Just like group, but on your own. This part really isn't stressful. What is important here isn't that you diagnosed the patient correctly, but that you are identifying important data, making links between the data, and showing that your clinical reasoning process is developing. Then over the next 24 hours, you research your learning issues and put together a concept map for the patient. This is a lot like what we do during clinical years-- have a patient, look up the disease, be ready to do a presentation on it. You also have to re-rank your hypotheses after you've done some research. The second day, you sit down with a faculty person for an hour and go through your concept map and your day 1 process. You don't have to have the map memorized, and you basically walk the faculty member through what your line of thinking was on day one, why it maybe changed after research, and then your map. You will get asked questions, but they aren't usually terribly "off the wall"-- usually just for clarification or to see if you can make the bridge between what you've researched and a similar situation/disease/etc.

Some people don't sleep over these nights (again-- 2 during first year, 2 during second), but I know that most people get sleep-- and a fair amount (6 hours or more). Most of the stress comes from the time crunch (just don't make too many learning issues, which the older students tell you this ahead of time) and who they have (i.e. the harder graders vs. the easier ones). That's the subjective stuff.

The cool thing about this-- I was talking to a 4th year and she was like "at the end of such and such rotation, we had to do an HOUR PRESENTATION! It was sooo hard" And I was like "oh, you did IFM then, huh?" and she said "yeah.... how did you know?"

These exams are the big times where we "do our own research" and all that jazz, not all during the year. Oh yeah-- no classes during this.

Only real rules-- no talking about the case to each other or other PIL students (in years past). Faculty, doctors, family-- anyone else!!-- is fair game for information.

This sort of thing is repeated, sort of, during your primary care practicum. During the practicum, you make Learning Issues and research/write up a selected patient that you saw. Then you sit down with two faculty (one MD, one non-MD faculty) and they go through a case with you. Very similar, but not 24 hours. ;-)

---------------
Just a little hit on the primary care practicum-- what it is, where it is, yada yada.

The Practicum is in Philadelphia. It begins in late April. Classes are over. 12 hours a week in the doc's office. 8 hours a week in community work. Write up the cases and then do the thing mentioned above at the mid and end.

You can relocate for the practicum. Some people went home, some went to stay in the same city as their significant others. If you do this, you need to find your own doc to work with, but it's worth it if you are homesick or miss your S.O. Otherwise you are in the "Philly area" (this means you may have to commute, same as 3rd year-- up to an hour). But you are only working 2 or 3 days a week.
----
Scheduling--- I've said PIL is 9-4 and some say IFM is 8-12-- how do I feel about the longer days...

Regarding PIL vs. IFM scheduling. Please reference: http://webcampus.med.drexel.edu/ifm/calendar.asp?year=1

You should be able to access this without ID. But if you can't, the main idea is that IFM goes to class from 8-3 or 4 on average. Also, on wednesdays they have to do their community work, and there is also patient clinical experience in there too (not sure if it's on this calendar).

You may or may not be able to get to our calendars through here: http://webcampus.med.drexel.edu/pil/ (click on the different block websites and calendar will be listed 1st).

Personally, I could group as classtime, cause it's required time at school (note-- class not required, but I attended a lot of them). So my days at school were about 9-4. 9-12 is group on MWF 1st year and 12-1 is lunch and 1-??? is class. Again, it varies between year/case/week and such. Sometimes we'd only have group for a day, or only morning classes. Other times we'd be there all day. Just depended on scheduling. We are at school as much as IFM, but 9 hours of our time in first year is dedicated to group therefore less class time.

PS: If i said that IFM is in class from 8-12 before, I don't know what I was thinking, cause I checked the calendar, and while there are some 8-12 days, they are definitely there into the afternoons.

I interviewed at drexel on march 23, and i didnt hear back from them until June 15. by that time, of course i had been waitlisted. my question is if i really even have a chance. i've been reading all the other posts, and it seems that there are a ton of people waitlisted there. i loved drexel, but i dont know how things will turn out if i do get accepted now. There's just about a month before orientation, and i'll have to get a place to live, finaid, and everything else in order. ive lived in florida all my life, so philly will be a huge change - but i'm looking forward to it. anyway, i'm curious as to everyone's opinion on my situation. any advice is appreciated. thanks.

jmtanes said:
I interviewed at drexel on march 23, and i didnt hear back from them until June 15. by that time, of course i had been waitlisted. my question is if i really even have a chance. i've been reading all the other posts, and it seems that there are a ton of people waitlisted there. i loved drexel, but i dont know how things will turn out if i do get accepted now. There's just about a month before orientation, and i'll have to get a place to live, finaid, and everything else in order. ive lived in florida all my life, so philly will be a huge change - but i'm looking forward to it. anyway, i'm curious as to everyone's opinion on my situation. any advice is appreciated. thanks.

That's a tough spot to be in. I guess if it were me (assuming the waitlist has a positive outcome), it would depend on a) if I'd been accepted elsewhere or not, and b) if I felt like the stress/cost of doing all that stuff in a short time outweighed the stress/cost of waiting another year and reapplying.

Choice "b" is probably a highly individual decision, based on how easily you can uproot and move given your life circumstances. An anecdote: a friend of mine got waitlisted everywhere she applied a few years ago, and she was seriously considering an alternate career because she didn't think she could deal with the application process again. She finally got accepted somewhere across the country literally *two weeks* before classes started, meaning she had two weeks to sell her condo, find a place, move cross-country, and get everything set up with school and what not. She pulled it off, and is now happily entering her fourth year of medical school. Point being, it's rough, but probably doable if you want it bad enough.

Good luck!! :)

jmtanes said:

personally, I wouldn't let the situation of having a small amount of time to get settled bother you. I got accepted to Drexel in January and I won't have a place to live until just before orientation as I am on the waitlist at my top choice and am not willing to sign a lease until I am sure I am going to Drexel. I live in California and can't wait to get to the east coast.

snapdad said:
That's a tough spot to be in. I guess if it were me (assuming the waitlist has a positive outcome), it would depend on a) if I'd been accepted elsewhere or not, and b) if I felt like the stress/cost of doing all that stuff in a short time outweighed the stress/cost of waiting another year and reapplying.

Choice "b" is probably a highly individual decision, based on how easily you can uproot and move given your life circumstances. An anecdote: a friend of mine got waitlisted everywhere she applied a few years ago, and she was seriously considering an alternate career because she didn't think she could deal with the application process again. She finally got accepted somewhere across the country literally *two weeks* before classes started, meaning she had two weeks to sell her condo, find a place, move cross-country, and get everything set up with school and what not. She pulled it off, and is now happily entering her fourth year of medical school. Point being, it's rough, but probably doable if you want it bad enough.

Good luck!! :)

thanks snapdad, its good to know that people actually do it and are successful.

Ms.Doctor said:
Did they definitely get your application? I would verify that they did. I accidently sent mine to the Office of Admissions instead of the PIL office, so I didn't hear for months until I called and found out that they never received my app!!

I would call and double check that they got your application and say that you sent it in 6 weeks ago. The turnover really is 2 weeks or so (at least the people I know).

With that being said, perhaps staff is out of the office since it's break and things are getting slow? There are only 4 staff members, who are usually pretty efficient, but if some are missing....

I don't think no word is the end. More likely, something is misplaced or held up. Good luck!

Yes, I am generally very thorough. So, when I faxed it to them I asked them to call and confirm receipt. I got a call that afternoon. I still sent them a hard copy to be safe. At two and a half weeks, i called them to find out th status. The administrator called me back, and said one person was still out with my application and I would hear from them the following week. No word the following week...so I call the week after that and the administrator isn't there. I gave up after that. I don't understand what is going on. I will call again tomorrow.

That is strange. I would try again. Perhaps there was a personal problem or something and that was why the person was out. I can think of something that would have caused this person to be out of the office, but I'd prefer not to share here.

this is a pretty off topic question but my dad has been suggesting that prices for clothes, food, etc are cheaper on the east coast in particular in philly. I come from marin county which is just across the golden gate bridge north of San Fran. Essentially, Marin is one of if not the most expensive counties in the country which sucks for a poor student and I'm hoping my money will go farther back east.

Members don't see this ad :)
Philadelphia in general is a cheaper city to live in. I don't know much about the west coast, but philly is much cheaper than New York, Boston, and D.C. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a sales tax on clothing in PA, but don't quote me on that. I know philly and the surrounding areas are cheaper than Long Island, which also has a very high cost of living.

rent is so damn cheap in philly. much cheaper than most other big cities.

ForensicPath is correct, there is no tax on clothing. :thumbup:

oh wow!! someone from the bay area is goin to philly too!
i wanna live in center city and see if i can take the subway to school. how feasible is that? or should i just live in the general area of queen lane? i dunno... that area was kinda depressing for me..

Ascensionmd said:
i wanna live in center city and see if i can take the subway to school. how feasible is that? or should i just live in the general area of queen lane? i dunno... that area was kinda depressing for me..

There is a shuttle that runs from Hahnemann hospital in Center City to Queen Lane. There is also a train station in East Falls. It is on the R6 line if I am not mistaken.

For all your public transportation needs in philly: http://www.septa.org

I was going to live in Center City if I ended up at Drexel.

Are we supposed to receive a white coat ceremony RSVP form? I read something about it in the orientation packet but I haven't received anything

MErc44 said:
Are we supposed to receive a white coat ceremony RSVP form? I read something about it in the orientation packet but I haven't received anything

If you go onto the orientation webpage, there is a link for it. Once you open the link, you can submit everything online. You can acess the orientation page through the webcampus.med.drexel.edu page (incoming students). It also says you can do it at the bookstore if you don't want to do it online.

OOOOps! My bad, I totally read your post wrong! I thought you said were can we order the white coats. Sorry. I remember reading somewhere that the rsvp forms would be mailed seperately in July sometime.

Sorry. I will read the whole thing next time.

Is on Campus (Queen Lane) parking impossible to get? Is there a campus parking lot for the Center City Campus? I just figured out how much taking the train to campus will cost each month and am starting to feel like getting a car would be worth the investment.

(just to clarify, I am asking about the availability of spaces, not how easy it is to get a permit)

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend!!!!

myID said:
Is on Campus (Queen Lane) parking impossible to get? Is there a campus parking lot for the Center City Campus? I just figured out how much taking the train to campus will cost each month and am starting to feel like getting a car would be worth the investment.

(just to clarify, I am asking about the availability of spaces, not how easy it is to get a permit)

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend!!!!

parking at school is plentiful. Just gets crowded on test days (but there are spots, it's not totally full)-- just a longer walk. ;-)

Also-- the R8 is the Septa train that is a block from campus. Be wary though and check out the times the train runs....

Ms.Doctor said:
That is strange. I would try again. Perhaps there was a personal problem or something and that was why the person was out. I can think of something that would have caused this person to be out of the office, but I'd prefer not to share here.

Thank Ms. Doctor. I tried again and I am in! So, I feel MUCH better. :)

Ascensionmd said:

have you found a place to live or are you waiting until you get an answer from UCSF?

bullhorn said:
Thank Ms. Doctor. I tried again and I am in! So, I feel MUCH better. :)

Excellent! Hope you enjoy it! :) Let me know if you have any questions about school! (this goes for anyone, of course!)

MErc44 said:
have you found a place to live or are you waiting until you get an answer from UCSF?

gonna wait til the last split second to get a place in philly. i don't want to sign a lease until i know for sure. in the meantime, i can always just stay at a hotel for a few days of apt. searching.

Ascensionmd said:
gonna wait til the last split second to get a place in philly. i don't want to sign a lease until i know for sure. in the meantime, i can always just stay at a hotel for a few days of apt. searching.

I thought I was the only one. Good luck to both of us

I've got another fin aid question (they don't seem to like to reply to emails)

When will our finacial aid information show up on the drexel one banner system? ie, required documents, loan application history, our finacial award, the payment schedule for the loans, etc.. I've used a similar system for undergrad but I was expecting our information to be there by now. I'm just beginning to get antsy about our loans and specifics.

I've got a question for anyone who wants to answer whose going to Drexel this year. Why did you pick it? I'm applying this year for entry next fall 2005.

What were its positive aspects compared to other schools? Thnx.

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to say hello to my new classmates. I will be coming to Drexel this fall as well. I am really looking forward to meeting you all in three weeks! (Holy crap, that is real soon :D ).

Flick

On another note, to any current Drexel students: How consistent is the shuttle from Center City to the Queens Lane Campus? I am going to live in Center City and wanted to use that as my primary means of getting to campus. Does anyone use it regularly?

Thanks,
Flick

I've been waitlisted, and I'm starting to feel pretty desperate. I've already written a letter of intent, and I call at least once a week to check the status of the waitlist. What more, if anything, can I do to increase my chances of getting in??

I think the only thing you can do is hope that other schools have movement. I think this is the only way spaces will open up, the class is most likely full right now and they won't let anyone else in unless people withdraw and this will only happen if other schools have movement. I will withdraw my acceptance if I am offered one at another school but since I will be leaving for philly in two weeks I'm not too optimistic. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but it is the truth so far as I can tell.

according to the admissions department, there will be students who simply won't show up to orientation on Aug. 2. Those will be immediately dropped and waitlisters will be contacted.

thats interesting, do you know if it's the same for other schools?

hi incoming first years....if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. i look forward to meeting some of you guys. :)

F&ck I'm driving out to philly next wednesday, pretty damn weird. Hope I can find a place to live within a reasonable distance to the campus.

So I finally got through to the finacial aid office... BUT,

my loans amounts have been set as if I was going to be doing IFM (I'm doing PIL). When I explained that I was going to be in PIL, the woman said she had no record of it!! Does anyone else have this problem with their loan amounts? Anyone know if this is a problem (like will the amount for IFM really affect me in PIL?)

I don't think I've ever had a good experience with fin aid offices :(

I dont know why you were given a lesser amount since you are doing PIL but I was given a lesser certified amount than I request and when I asked she said that I qualified for a Perkins loan for a certain amount which made my total right. So, maybe that is why you have a lesser amount. You can check the status of your fin. aid on drexelONE.

Right, she also mentioned the Perkins which will go through sometime in September. However for the loan amounts in the two programs the subsizided is the same (8500), but the amounts for the unsub and ALP are different limits. They are something like 32,222 vs 34,000 and 15,000 vs 16,000 (not exact) for IFM vs PIL. I'm just hoping this doesn't mess everything up with my loan being paid, etc.

I have been having the same issues. I am very concerned because I expected to reevaluate my budget because I have a child.

I only received about 13k in ALP and the 32222 for unsub stafford. I, too am in PIL and was expecting more. Also my loan requests only add up to 53935 but my budget is 56935. Finally, and most important, I sent promissory notes for the stafford loans ONLY with T.H.E. and decided to go with MEDLOANS with the ALP. Of course all of them say MEDLOANS...i am very confused since I never signed a promissory note for that. IF fees are taken out I am going to be very pissed.

Anyone else have that same problem. I am emailing them as we speak.

bullhorn said:
I have been having the same issues. I am very concerned because I expected to reevaluate my budget because I have a child.

I only received about 13k in ALP and the 32222 for unsub stafford. I, too am in PIL and was expecting more. Also my loan requests only add up to 53935 but my budget is 56935.

Anyone else have that same problem. I am emailing them as we speak.

EXACTLY THE SAME AS ME for the loans amounts, those are the IFM amounts!!! please let me know what they tell you! The lady I spoke with (after trying for weeks) said everything would be taken care of and I didn't have to do a thing.....

i had the same prob---they always say they're gonna take care of it, so I'm gonna let em. Remember, medschool is a LOT smaller than undergrad, so they only have 200 financial probs to deal with instead of 2000---so they're more flexible. Worse case, it doesn't get fixed, but they're not gonna say, you owe another 2grand--she told me this btw. Drexel is so centralized, I'm sure this isn't major at all. I'm just gonna wing it and see what flies.

On another note---is anybody else still on the fence, waiting to hear from some other choices, but feeling the crunch time of living arrangements/etc.? (don't get me wrong, psyched about Drexel, but still have couple others in mind).

??

Shakenotstirred said:
i had the same prob---they always say they're gonna take care of it, so I'm gonna let em. Remember, medschool is a LOT smaller than undergrad, so they only have 200 financial probs to deal with instead of 2000---so they're more flexible. Worse case, it doesn't get fixed, but they're not gonna say, you owe another 2grand--she told me this btw. Drexel is so centralized, I'm sure this isn't major at all. I'm just gonna wing it and see what flies.

On another note---is anybody else still on the fence, waiting to hear from some other choices, but feeling the crunch time of living arrangements/etc.? (don't get me wrong, psyched about Drexel, but still have couple others in mind).

??

that's how I feel except tuition is due at the end of the month, after I pay that I'm not going to hold out for the waitlists anymore.

I know this was asked before, but--anyone going to these orientation "events" for real? Anyone going alone, or are most bringing a guest?

i'm holding out til the end of next week before i even think about a place to live or even arrive in philly. i'm shipping all my stuff and car and taking a one way flight. hopefully, i'll be able to manage the chaos. :scared:

Shakenotstirred said:
I know this was asked before, but--anyone going to these orientation "events" for real? Anyone going alone, or are most bringing a guest?

I personally despise these type of events (just my personality), but whenever I skip them I always feel like I should've gone. So I'm gonna go, alone, and just suck it up and hope to have a good time with everyone...

anyone else?

Shakenotstirred said:

I'm still planning on going with my gf, who will be in Philly helping me move in. I'm not usually into these kinds of events either, but hey, they probably will turn out to be fun, and it might be a good chance to ease into things and meet some people. We'll be spending so much time getting tooled starting the following week, it might be nice to just kinda kick back a bit beforehand.