Drexel University College of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therocketman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi? I'm surprised no one else started this, unless not many people have heard from Drexel yet lol..
regardless hi.

Members don't see this ad.

yay! i was wondering why no one had started this thread yet :)

I think it's quiet because, even with acceptances, people aren't sure where they're going to end up yet. There's still a lot of time for interviews and whatnot.

I, however, am pretty pumped about my Drexel accept and would be just fine if that turns out to be the only one! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey fellas, how are you doing. Congrats on your acceptance to drexel. Are you guys thinking PIL or IFM?

Hey fellas, how are you doing. Congrats on your acceptance to drexel. Are you guys thinking PIL or IFM?

about applying to PIL, did you guys get the application for it in the mail along with the acceptance letter? I got a application form and wasn't sure if that's all we have to fill out and send or is there another online application. Did anyone else apply?

Are a lot of the students there concerned with the amount of debt they will incur after graduating from Drexel? Also, how what do you think the overall opinion from the students is with regards to years 3 and 4? Thanks

Hi all, congrats on the acceptances. If anyone has any burning questions about Drexel, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Are a lot of the students there concerned with the amount of debt they will incur after graduating from Drexel? Also, how what do you think the overall opinion from the students is with regards to years 3 and 4? Thanks

I'm sure that everyone who has taken out loans is at least somewhat concerned with the debt they're accumulating. However, I think that people realize that for most med students, loans and debt are just another part of the process.

I'm only an MS1, so I can't speak very much about 3rd and 4th year. I can say that I haven't heard any complaints. There are a lot of options at Drexel, and we have affiliations with hospitals across Pennsylvania and New Jersey. As such, you can expand your horizons or stay in Philly during your clinical years. There are also full-year programs at Allegheny General in Pittsburgh and Monmouth in NJ where you can spend your entire 3rd year without having to move around every 4-6 weeks.

I'm sure that everyone who has taken out loans is at least somewhat concerned with the debt they're accumulating. However, I think that people realize that for most med students, loans and debt are just another part of the process.

I'm only an MS1, so I can't speak very much about 3rd and 4th year. I can say that I haven't heard any complaints. There are a lot of options at Drexel, and we have affiliations with hospitals across Pennsylvania and New Jersey. As such, you can expand your horizons or stay in Philly during your clinical years. There are also full-year programs at Allegheny General in Pittsburgh and Monmouth in NJ where you can spend your entire 3rd year without having to move around every 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for the info. Why did you choose drexel, if you don't mind my asking?

Hey guys, please convince me that there is no point into going to an SLU interview. Drexel is better in every respect, right? ;)

Thanks for the info. Why did you choose drexel, if you don't mind my asking?

That's a tough question. There were a lot of different reasons why I decided on Drexel--some being more tangible than others, and some more serious than others:

The feel of the school, the quantity of affiliated hospitals, the symptom-based curriculum, the choice between IFM and PIL, the location, my student interviewer, the opportunity to spend 3rd and 4th year in Pittsburgh at AGH, the friendly folks at the security desk, the technology, the humanities courses, the school mascot, grading, faculty, etc.

There are a lot of reasons, but a lot of it was just a feeling.

you know, that's probably why I'm going to drexel as well (i got in around november).. the feeling. even though people on sdn hate on drexel, when i went to interview, it was a lot of the little things that kind of fell into place, from the security guard, to the way they structured the classes, to the people i interviewed with as well as the city itself. nice place to spend the next 4 years i think.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who don't know already:

IFM = sucks

PIL = teh awsum

Hey could you tell us a little more about the PIL track? positive and negative? What made you choose PIL over IFM? Thanks!

Hey could you tell us a little more about the PIL track? positive and negative? What made you choose PIL over IFM? Thanks!

Because when I look at it now, you're going to have to be self-directed for pretty much your entire career when it comes to your education. You're not going to get lectured to much after you finish 2nd year. The problem based track gets you thinking in a "clinical" mindset, which I thought was a better way to learn medicine than just getting it all read to you from some lecture.

Hey Rocketman, I feel the same way about Drexel. Out of all the schools I've been to I really got an excellent vibe with the school, more so than any other. Doesn't mean I'm not going to explore other options, but I'm so grateful and excited if that is where I end up going. I can't believe I was so dumb for underestimating it before I went.

Hey Rocketman, I feel the same way about Drexel. Out of all the schools I've been to I really got an excellent vibe with the school, more so than any other. Doesn't mean I'm not going to explore other options, but I'm so grateful and excited if that is where I end up going. I can't believe I was so dumb for underestimating it before I went.

Yeah, lots of people do that. It's a real shame that folks tend to make up their mind about Drexel before they ever get to experience it.

is drexel pass/fail? or honors/pass/fail? i can't remember, all the schools are jumbled in my head in terms of those details. thanks!

I was so excited to be accepted to Drexel. I live in Center City Philadelphia now and love the city. Sent my PIL application a few weeks ago, too. I am really looking forward to getting started!

I was so excited to be accepted to Drexel. I live in Center City Philadelphia now and love the city. Sent my PIL application a few weeks ago, too. I am really looking forward to getting started!

Did you send the paper application for PIL?

Is it possible to change your mind on living in Pittsburgh for the 3rd and 4th years if you decide later on you want to do it? I didn't choose it when I received my acceptance but may want to down the road.

Is it possible to change your mind on living in Pittsburgh for the 3rd and 4th years if you decide later on you want to do it? I didn't choose it when I received my acceptance but may want to down the road.

Definitely. It's not set in stone until you start scheduling your rotations as a second year.

i saw on the class of 2012's thread from last year that there was an accepted students day in april. has anyone heard anything about it, when it is this year, what goes on, etc?

i saw on the class of 2012's thread from last year that there was an accepted students day in april. has anyone heard anything about it, when it is this year, what goes on, etc?

I think we'll hear about it soon. After I send my deposit, I got like 3 letters on different weeks saying they've received my deposit and more information will be send later on in the year. I guess we'll just have to sit tight till then.

Just got my acceptance letter in the mail today! Anyone know if there is a facebook group made yet for accepted students.
Hope to meet you all soon whenever this accepted students day is.

Just got my acceptance letter in the mail today! Anyone know if there is a facebook group made yet for accepted students.
Hope to meet you all soon whenever this accepted students day is.

yayy congrats!! ANyone thought about housing? Is there an area where a lot of students live?

yayy congrats!! ANyone thought about housing? Is there an area where a lot of students live?

most students live in either manayunk(if you have a car) or east falls.
i dont know much about manayunk but these are some apartments complexes students use in east falls. however if you want a home to rent or something just try craigslist, and anything 19129 should be close enough to school.
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...hia/Charlwin-Apartments/13287?listingid=13287
http://www.classicmgt.com/carltonpark.htm
http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/phila/aldenpark/aldenpark.htm
http://www.forrent.com/apartment-co...om/apartment-community-profile/1000052821.php

If you know you want to live in the city it's very doable as well. There is a shuttle that goes right from center city (4 blocks from my current apartment!) and takes you directly to the medical school.

i dont know much about manayunk but these are some apartments complexes students use in east falls. however if you want a home to rent or something just try craigslist, and anything 19129 should be close enough to school.

Thanks guys for the info. so excited!!!

Hey guys,

I was accepted to Drexel last month, my only acceptance but I'm incredibly excited to go! Quick question: someone mentioned receiving a few letters after sending in the deposit check--my application status website says
Matriculation Fee Feb 17, 2009

and "Thank your for your deposit. Your place in the entering class is being held for you."

I have yet to receive anything in the mail after the acceptance packet. Should I be worried? I don't want to leave anything up to chance... Thanks for the help!

Hey guys,

I have yet to receive anything in the mail after the acceptance packet. Should I be worried? I don't want to leave anything up to chance... Thanks for the help!

Congrats!! I got those letters like 1.5 month after I send in the deposit at my current address (not permanent), so it might still be with the mail man, however I don't think it's a big deal even if you don't recieve it. As long as your webpage says they got a spot for you, you'll be fine. The letter contains no 'extra' information besides saying they got your deposit and they'll send information about financial aid later.

If you know you want to live in the city it's very doable as well. There is a shuttle that goes right from center city (4 blocks from my current apartment!) and takes you directly to the medical school.

Keep in mind that the shuttle doesn't run on weekends and doesn't run past midnight on weekdays. That may not be a problem for you, but it's important to know.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...hia/Charlwin-Apartments/13287?listingid=13287
http://www.classicmgt.com/carltonpark.htm
http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/phila/aldenpark/aldenpark.htm
http://www.forrent.com/apartment-co...om/apartment-community-profile/1000052821.php

In East Falls, Hathaway House is another good choice. You can also sometimes find apartments or rooms to rent in the many houses around campus (on Midvale, Indian Queen, etc.) The Roxborough neighborhood is also another option, and so are the apartments in and around City Ave. (Presidential City, for example, although it's sometimes hit or miss).

been awfully quiet here!

Hey!
This thread seems to be quickly dying out.
Where are you all from?

Hey!

This thread seems to be quickly dying out.
Where are you all from?​

LoL. I'm from PA - in the suburbs outside of Philly :) Are u guys going to the accepted students day? I can't wait!

saqrfaraj are you in PIL or IFM?

Hey there, I'm so excited to meet everyone for Accepted Students Day on the 28th! Is anyone driving over from Chicago? If you want to go green and carpool, let me know.

Can't wait! Congrats everyone!

When is accepted students day? March or April? I didn't get a letter yet.