Driving day of interview ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imrizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Was wondering what you guys would suggest for an interview at 11 AM. It is about 1 hr 40 minutes to 2 hrs away. Would it be better to drive there in the morning like at 7 ish AM or would it be better to drive the night before and stay at a hotel?

Would appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely drive the morning of...

Reactions: 3 users
i would rather get some extra sleep and get a hotel room personally. But then again, im also a bit paranoid about getting a flat tire or getting mauled by a gorilla on the drive there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you show up tired to your interview, you may look apathetic, and come off clumsy with your answers. You may not even realize it. You can certainly still drive (traffic permitting), but that's something to consider. You may be fine just getting enough sleep the week before. I'm only speaking up because I went to an interview severely sleep-deprived, and it didn't work out too well. (I was hallucinating about gorillas...)

Hey all,

Was wondering what you guys would suggest for an interview at 11 AM. It is about 1 hr 40 minutes to 2 hrs away. Would it be better to drive there in the morning like at 7 ish AM or would it be better to drive the night before and stay at a hotel?

Would appreciate any input!
It all really matters how much money you have to spend. Personally I'd drive and save money on a hotel

Think about traffic, rush hour (early morning), possibilities of having issues with your car like a flat tire while on the way to the interview. Its best to be safe and get a hotel. You have already spent so much money applying to school(s) and you are one step closer to getting in. Why would you risk losing this opportunity here. Get the hotel and you will be well-rested for the interview and you won't have to worry about anything. Good luck with the interview(s)!

lots of hotels also have rewards programs like "stay 3 nights, get 1 free" deals which will be clutch when one has to start traveling more for interviews.

Wow, I didn't realize so many people would choose staying in a hotel. The interview is at 11 am, which, in my opinion, is extremely late. Leaving at 7 gives you a whole 4 hours to get there! Plus you get to sleep in your own bed, eat breakfast in your own house, don't have to worry whether you forgot shampoo. If you're worried about car malfunctions, think about all the things that could go wrong in a hotel: noisy neighbors, terrible food, AC/heat not working, uncomfy bed, etc. I'm driving to as many interviews as possible. But that's just my opinion. You know yourself better than anyone.

Thanks everyone for your input! I decided to drive the morning of my interview. I made it about 2 hours early and left at around 730 so I am sitting down just reviewing info on the school. I wasn't too worried about a break down its well maintained relatively new car and I left plenty of room for any traffic problems. Good luck to everyone applying!

Also I stayed well clear of any gorillas :p

Last edited: