Drop in MCAT (27 to 25), cGPA 3.64, sGPA 3.60, IL Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catlady19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I took the MCAT twice in January (I know now it was a huge mistake). I got a 27 the first time and then a 25 the second time. I know that getting into MD schools with a 27 was a long shot to begin with, but with this 2-point drop, I'm not sure if I've obliterated any chance of getting into an MD school. I'm also a non-trad (finished undergrad in '12) and have been taking care of a mentally ill cousin and working (as a tutor) since I finished school. I do have tons of research (no pubs), shadowing, volunteering, and other clinical experience. Should I even bother applying to MD schools? Also, is July too late to be applying with my stats?

Thanks for reading my post. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCATs are lethal for MD schools. A 27 by itself is circling the drain. You will have some luck if you apply broadly to DO schools. But skip CCOM, AZCOM, the coastal Touros, KCUMB, and Westerns. i can't recommend LUCOM.

The DO cycle is longer, so you fine to apply up to the end of the year. Earlier is always better.

And a teaching moment: never, ever take a high-stakes, career deciding exam if you have your hands full and are not at your 100% best.

Your MCATs are lethal for MD schools. A 27 by itself is circling the drain. You will have some luck if you apply broadly to DO schools. But skip CCOM, AZCOM, the coastal Touros, KCUMB, and Westerns. i can't recommend LUCOM.

The DO cycle is longer, so you fine to apply up to the end of the year. Earlier is always better.

And a teaching moment: never, ever take a high-stakes, career deciding exam if you have your hands full and are not at your 100% best.
Thanks goro. I appreciate your candor. I honestly thought I did better the 2nd time...was expecting a 29-30. :( I didn't know that a drop would be so significant until I started the application process and started researching it.

Last edited: