drop in step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yangsc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, sorry to post another step question, but i just got my step2 score and i went down. i got 246 on step 1 and 236 on step 2. am i screwed? how bad does this look?

Members don't see this ad.

Horrible. See you cleaning the urinals at the hospital. And as a tip, I miss a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish they would turn up the temperature in the toilet bowl water because everytime I sit down its sooo cold........

Members don't see this ad :)
My scores were a bit higher with a less dramatic drop. It got brought up by one person throughout the entire interview season, and their program was great but not ultra-competitive. I matched to my #1 at a well-respected program. You'll be fine, but prepare to answer to it and own it.
I never really understood this being an issue. I get if you go from well above average to well below but if you still score well why is it an issue? I find it so ironic that physicians of all people who choose to use an isolated data point that is most likely due to statistical variance and draw a conclusion from it.

Last edited:
I think it was more curiosity than anything else. I still scored above average on Step II even with the drop, but since I did so well on Step I, he was curious as to why I didn't stay in the same percentile. It was basically a non-issue from what I could tell.
Ok that's reasonable. It's like asking Kobe why he scored 35 this game after scoring 45 last week. The sample size is too small to not see variance in percentiles with these exams.

Ok that's reasonable. It's like asking Kobe why he scored 35 this game after scoring 45 last week. The sample size is too small to not see variance in percentiles with these exams.
Umm... no.

It's a big dip. It's the difference between 54 points over passing (Step 1) and 27 points over passing (Step 2 CK). It's a big drop in the percentile. Not only that, but the Step 2 score reflects better the necessary knowledge base for anesthesia.

But it doesn't matter; both scores are good enough nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm... no.

It's a big dip. It's the difference between 54 points over passing (Step 1) and 27 points over passing (Step 2 CK). It's a big drop in the percentile. Not only that, but the Step 2 score reflects better the necessary knowledge base for anesthesia.

But it doesn't matter; both scores are good enough nowadays.
Do you know what percentiles OP's scores would fall into? Not familiar with step 2 scoring distribution really.

"The mean score for Step 2CK as of 4/2/2014 for first-time test takers in US and Canadian medical schools is a 238 with a standard deviation of 19."

hi, sorry to post another step question, but i just got my step2 score and i went down. i got 246 on step 1 and 236 on step 2. am i screwed? how bad does this look?

You are one worthless POS, how do you even look at yourself in the mirror?

How many think this is a "look at me" post?

No way this dude is serious

You are one worthless POS, how do you even look at yourself in the mirror?

How many think this is a "look at me" post?

No way this dude is serious
Lighten up, Francis. From what the last two posters said it seemed like he scored well into 85th+ percentile on Step 1 and below 50th for Step 2. Not insignificant. I personally do not think it's a deal breaker but seems fair to address it.

If he's a us grad,I it's not a deal breaker