Drop out of Grad School to finish pre-reqs for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaoziPen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently in my second semester of grad school. I am doing my Masters of Science in Health Promotion at University of Texas. I am currently debating of dropping out to finish my pre-reqs for med school, but would that be a bad move for when applying to medicine school? Would it beneficial to finish graduate school, do my premed reqs after grad school? I've tried talking to an advisor but it didn't help because she knew nothing about med school. I did talk to a few health professionals advisors for medicine school, but they advised for me to take the courses now along with grad school, but I would have to apply as a non-degree seeking student, since I am currently considered as a graduate student.

I know med schools don't really like community classes as pre-reqs, but would it possible for them to accept me with my pre-reqs if I finish graduate school?

Wasn't sure what my options are, if anyone could provide some advice that would be pretty awesome because I am in such a pickle.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I am currently in my second semester of grad school. I am doing my Masters of Science in Health Promotion at University of Texas. I am currently debating of dropping out to finish my pre-reqs for med school, but would that be a bad move for when applying to medicine school? Would it beneficial to finish graduate school, do my premed reqs after grad school? I've tried talking to an advisor but it didn't help because she knew nothing about med school. I did talk to a few health professionals advisors for medicine school, but they advised for me to take the courses now along with grad school, but I would have to apply as a non-degree seeking student, since I am currently considered as a graduate student.

I know med schools don't really like community classes as pre-reqs, but would it possible for them to accept me with my pre-reqs if I finish graduate school?

Wasn't sure what my options are, if anyone could provide some advice that would be pretty awesome because I am in such a pickle.

1) You are not in a pickle in your current state. You would be in a pickle if you decided to drop grad school to chase after community college prereqs. And it's medical school, not medicine school.

2) Do what the health professions advisors tell you to do --- You're in the UT system which has a strong history of getting people into medical school -- I mean, c'mon, a basic search of the TMDSAS system for applying to medical schools in Texas will show that a whole lot, if not all, of the MD schools in Texas start with the letters "UT" in front of them. That should be a strong hint.

3) By finishing the graduate work, it shows you can do work at the graduate level. Taking the prereqs at the same time shows you can take volume at the graduate level. Get some volunteer hours in to demonstrate time management and commitment. Get some shadowing experiences to demonstrate that you know what you're getting into. Get a 3.7 or higher in your prereq GPA and do average or above average on the MCAT and you'll get in somewhere.

4) As @Goro said, once you quit at the graduate level for whatever reason, you'll have to defend that decision and you'll be up against other students without that mark on their record. As a side note --- having a masters from UT in Health Promotion may likely enhance your application and demonstrate a commit to the medical field -- bail on that and I would be asking sharp and pointed questions regarding your commitment to medicine and public health if I were the interviewer, assuming you get that far.

Reactions: 1 users