Droping a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiddynamite914

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Earlier this semester I had to drop a class due to my aunt passing away. I had to go home for 2 weeks, and miss classes. My professor would not move my exam, so I had to drop the class to be able to go home without failing that exam. This was reflected on my transcript. Would I be able to explain this to med school officials? Is there a problem with dropping a class?

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you're talking about a W. There are countless threads on this subject. But I'll save you a few minutes. No one is going to care about one W. I doubt your interviewers would even ask you about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I assume you're talking about a W. There are countless threads on this subject. But I'll save you a few minutes. No one is going to care about one W. I doubt your interviewers would even ask you about it.

Some people have mentioned that it is important to retake the class you withdrew from. Is that necessary? The class was Cognitive Psychology, which I found very similar to Neuro 2. I really wouldn't want to retake it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard that you should have to retake a W. I wouldn't worry about it. I had a W in a class that I didn't retake and it was never mentioned (albeit my W wasn't in a science class but, since yours isn't a prerequisite, then I don't imagine it would be any different).

W's should only be a problem if they are numerous.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Some people have mentioned that it is important to retake the class you withdrew from. Is that necessary? The class was Cognitive Psychology, which I found very similar to Neuro 2. I really wouldn't want to retake it.
Don't retake, don't worry about it, just don't make a habit of dropping classes and you'll be fine

1 W is fine. I had a W from my first semester of college and no one ever asked me about it.