Dropped classes on transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nolatrell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I drop pre-cal to spend more time on Algebra will that look bad on my transcript for PT schools? I will be attending summer APT classes to spark my application for PT and to have a backup plan if denied. I currently have 2 maths as a Biology major, while attempting to balance my courses, sports and personal problems. Also if I was somehow enrolled at a CC and registered for classes and did not show up, will the F's on that transcript effect my chances at getting accepted into a PT school? It was only 3 classes that I myself didn't register for but an advisor did. I notified the advisors I will not be attending that school but some how I was still enrolled even though I never touched ground in the city. Will that effect my chances to get int a PTS?

Members don't see this ad.

A W is better than an F, in my opinion. Withdrawing won't hurt your GPA.

F's will never look ok, no matter what your story/reasoning is. "I told the advisor" is not a good enough excuse. There is always paperwork and procedure when you withdraw from a school. It's your responsibility to know this. Those three Fs will seriously bring your cumulative GPA down. You will definitely need to explain the circumstances on your application and pray that there is a school that understands.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any possibility you can work with that CC to get those F's off your transcript? I doubt it but you might want to try as that is going to cause you some major difficulties getting into PT school. It may cause your application to get automatically screened out at a lot of PT schools, depending on what they brought your GPA down to.

Just because you had some bizarre circumstance where an adviser enrolled you in classes, you shouldn't have expected the to fix it for you. You probably had the first several weeks of the semester to un-enroll/submit drop requests for those classes. If those F's stay on your transcript you may need to own your mistake when discussing it with PT schools rather than trying to make excuses. Excuse-making generally only makes a bad situation worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
And what are APT classes?

The dropped classes shouldn't matter. The programs I am applying to have stated that they only look at the GPA's calculated by PTCAS and their GPA's do not include W's at all in the calculations. The programs also noted that W's only become an issue when they are consistently used EVERY semester.

I can't speak for the F's though, they will be included in the PTCAS GPA unless you can get them replaced with W's or something similar and will unfortunately have a significant impact on your GPA.

Is there any possibility you can work with that CC to get those F's off your transcript? I doubt it but you might want to try as that is going to cause you some major difficulties getting into PT school. It may cause your application to get automatically screened out at a lot of PT schools, depending on what they brought your GPA down to.

Just because you had some bizarre circumstance where an adviser enrolled you in classes, you shouldn't have expected the to fix it for you. You probably had the first several weeks of the semester to un-enroll/submit drop requests for those classes. If those F's stay on your transcript you may need to own your mistake when discussing it with PT schools rather than trying to make excuses. Excuse-making generally only makes a bad situation worse.
Agreed, however once I spoke with staff members at the college they said I wouldn't have to worry about the transcript if I never use it or bring it up.

Agreed, however once I spoke with staff members at the college they said I wouldn't have to worry about the transcript if I never use it or bring it up.

I'm not sure what you mean. When you apply to PT school you will be required to submit an official transcript from every institution you have ever attended.

I was in the same situation. No the drops don't matter. But those Fs absolutely do and will be calculated in your pre req gpa!!!!!!! I didn't have any luck getting mine removed either and it significantly dropped my gpa. You might want to do your gpa calculation now if you can't remove them. 3 Fs will pull it down a lot.

You need to contact the CC and if you truly didn't sign up/attend the classes then it shouldn't be a problem getting them off your transcripts...but honestly that sounds a little fishy to me. I know when I was doing pre-recs at a CC (and even while I was at my undergrad university) if you didn't attend a class or submit an assignment to show you were in the class you would be automatically dropped from the class. Also if you didn't sign up for these classes I'm assuming you didn't pay for them so how did you manage to complete the semester (even not showing up) without paying?

Again if it really is an advisor mistake then it should be no problem, but to me your story seems to have some holes in it.

And knj27 is correct, you will have to submit transcripts from ALL institutions attended, you can't just pick and choose the ones you want to send in.

If I drop pre-cal to spend more time on Algebra will that look bad on my transcript for PT schools? I will be attending summer APT classes to spark my application for PT and to have a backup plan if denied. I currently have 2 maths as a Biology major, while attempting to balance my courses, sports and personal problems. Also if I was somehow enrolled at a CC and registered for classes and did not show up, will the F's on that transcript effect my chances at getting accepted into a PT school? It was only 3 classes that I myself didn't register for but an advisor did. I notified the advisors I will not be attending that school but some how I was still enrolled even though I never touched ground in the city. Will that effect my chances to get int a PTS?

I had to drop physics lecture twice, and physics lab once, because of personal reasons. I am taking it now, and doing quite well in it. I made a note of that in my applications and tried my best to explain the personal circumstances that caused me to drop.

So far I've been invited to interview at 5 schools, and have been accepted to 1. It's not the end of the world. A W is MUCH MUCH better than an F; hands down.

I was worried about my 2 withdrawals, but I asked the admission's person that was on here from Indiana University, and he said the admissions committee doesn't care about a couple of withdrawals. Just don't have like 10+.

You need to contact the CC and if you truly didn't sign up/attend the classes then it shouldn't be a problem getting them off your transcripts...but honestly that sounds a little fishy to me. I know when I was doing pre-recs at a CC (and even while I was at my undergrad university) if you didn't attend a class or submit an assignment to show you were in the class you would be automatically dropped from the class. Also if you didn't sign up for these classes I'm assuming you didn't pay for them so how did you manage to complete the semester (even not showing up) without paying?

Again if it really is an advisor mistake then it should be no problem, but to me your story seems to have some holes in it.

And knj27 is correct, you will have to submit transcripts from ALL institutions attended, you can't just pick and choose the ones you want to send in.
Thanks for the advise. I don't see how there's holes In the situation or story. I spoken with my counselor at my current school and she wants me to file an appeal for the grades to be dropped. Like you said if someone never attends class or turn in an assignment shouldn't a student automatically be dropped or purged!?

I had to drop physics lecture twice, and physics lab once, because of personal reasons. I am taking it now, and doing quite well in it. I made a note of that in my applications and tried my best to explain the personal circumstances that caused me to drop.

So far I've been invited to interview at 5 schools, and have been accepted to 1. It's not the end of the world. A W is MUCH MUCH better than an F; hands down.
Thanks for replying and the advise. Congrats on the success, hopefully 3-4 years from now I'll be in your position lol

if someone never attends class or turn in an assignment shouldn't a student automatically be dropped or purged!?

Just depends on the school. At ASU teachers aren't allowed to drop students, they have to drop themselves. If you don't, you're just stuck with the F.

I agree with @knj27. We were told on day one that it's our responsibility to drop a class--no one will do it for you. It comes with the territory of being a college student. At my school, it's actually written in the handbook.

But I guess in your situation, talking to admissions at the CC can't hurt...

Best of luck to you! :)

My question is, did you pay for the courses? If you didn't, this seems like a very strange situation. But if you did, that really sucks. And you probably won't be able to do anything about it.

I can't imagine it would be a problem if the classes were never paid for. However, at the schools I have attended you are automatically dropped if you (or your financial aid) fail to pay.

However, if you have paid and then fail to attend, I think you would only be dropped automatically if there was a waitlist for the class. Otherwise, it is no problem to them if people pay and then don't attend.

I can't imagine it would be a problem if the classes were never paid for. However, at the schools I have attended you are automatically dropped if you (or your financial aid) fail to pay.

However, if you have paid and then fail to attend, I think you would only be dropped automatically if there was a waitlist for the class. Otherwise, it is no problem to them if people pay and then don't attend.
I did not pay. It seem like the grades will be dropped from my transcript. Thanks for the advice guys!

Currently have As in Biology, Biology seminar, and biology lab. B- in English and d in algebra