Dropping a Government Class versus getting a C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docta_docta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Junior and plan on applying to medical school next summer. Right now I'm a physics major with a 3.47 GPA and a 3.43 science GPA.

I currently have a C in a Government class, and am planning on dropping it. Would this be a good idea? (I think I'm going to get an A in all my classes except for 1 other which I think I'll get a B or B+).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd drop it. Your GPA is already on the low side, and you need to get it as high as possible before applying.

Will medical schools see a W as an F though? Don't they recalculate the applicant's GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Calculate what the difference in your GPA would be if you took a C. Then we can better advise you.

No, I had 3 Ws on my transcript (1 freshman year, 1 sophomore, 1 senior), and it did not hinder my GPA calculation at all.

Will medical schools see a W as an F though? Don't they recalculate the applicant's GPA?

No, W does not mean F. A couple W's here and there are fine, just don't make a habit of it; in this case, I think it is justified.

I'm a Junior and plan on applying to medical school next summer. Right now I'm a physics major with a 3.47 GPA and a 3.43 science GPA.

I currently have a C in a Government class, and am planning on dropping it. Would this be a good idea? (I think I'm going to get an A in all my classes except for 1 other which I think I'll get a B or B+).

Thanks!

Drop it; protect your GPA. One or two withdrawals won't matter in the grander scheme of things.

The withdrawal will not affect your GPA unless you are failing when you withdraw and your school as a WF notation on your transcript. Not every school does this. Otherwise, a withdrawal will not enter into the GPA calculation. At least 2 or 3 adcoms have posted here that one withdrawal likely won't matter. This is especially true, in my opinion, when it is a government class.

Thanks for the advise guys, definitely dropping it. Also Ski89, it, alone, will drop my GPA to a 3.41, while if do well the rest of the semester my GPA would remain relatively unchanged (while if I drop it and do well this semester I could get around a 3.516

No to both questions. You made the right decision dropping the course.

Isolated W's won't do anything to harm your application, so relax!

Thanks for the advise guys, definitely dropping it. Also Ski89, it, alone, will drop my GPA to a 3.41, while if do well the rest of the semester my GPA would remain relatively unchanged (while if I drop it and do well this semester I could get around a 3.516

Good decision. Getting that GPA above 3.5 will help come application time.