Dropping an away rotation after accepting them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chesswiz23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I accepted an away rotation at Program A b/c it was the only offer I had at the time. Just got an offer from Program B that I would rather go to. I would be giving Program A a little more than 1 month notice. Is 1 month enough time? Does anyone have any experience with this? How bad does it look?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I did that to several programs, and everything turned out okay. As SouthernSurgeon recommended, be polite and have a good reason to explain to them why you're canceling the rotation.

Yes, as above, nobody will care.

In general, many/most programs simply offer away rotations on a first-come first-served basis without much of any review of your file to see if you would be a competitive applicant at the program. I didn't do any aways personally, but a number of friends did and I will say that a few of them canceled away rotations and did not receive an interview at that program. Now, whether that's because of the cancellation or because they just weren't competitive enough for an interview is hard to say.

So no worries about canceling - just be professional and do it asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, I accepted an away rotation at Program A b/c it was the only offer I had at the time. Just got an offer from Program B that I would rather go to. I would be giving Program A a little more than 1 month notice. Is 1 month enough time? Does anyone have any experience with this? How bad does it look?

Thanks in advance!
hi if you are dropping your position, can you please let me know the program so that I can apply. I am completing my intern year in a transitional program and still looking for a spot. thanks

hi if you are dropping your position, can you please let me know the program so that I can apply. I am completing my intern year in a transitional program and still looking for a spot. thanks
I think you're confused? Or maybe I am. Seems like the OP is dropping a fourth year medical student away rotation. If you are in a TY year and already a physician you can't complete an away, unless there is something major I am missing?

When you cancel, do you call the program and do it over the phone, or can you send a polite email?

3 "do it" posts in a row. You have summoned:

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're confused? Or maybe I am. Seems like the OP is dropping a fourth year medical student away rotation. If you are in a TY year and already a physician you can't complete an away, unless there is something major I am missing?
Yea I misunderstood. Thanks