Dropping masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avid77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys new to sdn so this is my first post.
So I have applied to vet school and did not get in the first time. Just recently got into a masters program in hopes that it would increase my chances of gaining acceptance. Unfortunately I really do not enjoy the masters program at all and want to get out of it. I have been told by many vet schools that they don't think it would have any negative effect on my application so I guess my question is do y'all think it would be ok to drop and strengthen other areas of my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys new to sdn so this is my first post.
So I have applied to vet school and did not get in the first time. Just recently got into a masters program in hopes that it would increase my chances of gaining acceptance. Unfortunately I really do not enjoy the masters program at all and want to get out of it. I have been told by many vet schools that they don't think it would have any negative effect on my application so I guess my question is do y'all think it would be ok to drop and strengthen other areas of my application?

First off, entering intro a research degree program only to increase your chances of being accepted to vet school is a terrible idea. You do research because you want to do research, or else you will end up miserable like you are now.

Secondly, did you do a file review? Do you know it was due to grades and did someone suggest doing an additional degree to raise your post-undergrad GPA? Or were there other factors? Perhaps increasing and diversifying your vet experience would be a better option here, or one of the other things you alluded to strengthening.

Don't force yourself along in something you hate. It will only cause bitterness and resentment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First off, entering intro a research degree program only to increase your chances of being accepted to vet school is a terrible idea. You do research because you want to do research, or else you will end up miserable like you are now.

Secondly, did you do a file review? Do you know it was due to grades and did someone suggest doing an additional degree to raise your post-undergrad GPA? Or were there other factors? Perhaps increasing and diversifying your vet experience would be a better option here, or one of the other things you alluded to strengthening.

Don't force yourself along in something you hate. It will only cause bitterness and resentment.

I did do a file review. My gpa is not great but I was not told to do a masters. One school said they did not think I needed to pursue any further classes. Mostly I was told to bring my gre up some and to have more extracurricular activities.

I did do a file review. My gpa is not great but I was not told to do a masters. One school said they did not think I needed to pursue any further classes. Mostly I was told to bring my gre up some and to have more extracurricular activities.

So do those things that they said to do. Why bother with a masters?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users