Dropping out of Masters Program after Med Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nalu5804

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed my medical school applications for this upcoming year and have gotten 10 interviews thus far. When I was first deciding to do a Masters Program last year, I hadn't received my MCAT scores yet and honestly wasn't expecting to be that strong of an applicant. During several of my interviews, however, my interviewers have directly asked me why I was doing a 'post-bacc program' when my MCAT scores and grades from undergrad were 'fine.'

Although I am sure this program would still provide some benefit to my medical school application, I am honestly a little bit disappointed in the program itself. The majority of the classes are very unstructured and I feel that the professors offer little support to their students. To make matters worse, I am no longer in a financial situation where I can afford to pay another 30,000 dollars in tuition and housing before beginning medical school.

In short, I am planning on finishing up this semester with my master's program, but am seriously considering not returning for the spring semester. I understand that several medical school applicants leave their masters or PhD programs to begin medical school, but didn't know how leaving in the middle of the year would reflect on a medical school application.

I am planning on waiting to inform medical schools of my decision after receiving an acceptance, but are most acceptances conditional on finishing a post-bacc program? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.