Dropping Out Of Pharmacy School For Alternative Option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EXACTLY. I'm a little pissed I didn't do my research before matriculating into school, but whatever. PGY's with PHARMACY have got to be the biggest joke, ever. Who knows, PGY-10 might be coming up REAL soon, LOL! And some of these professors are going to convince many of these poor students that it's ABSOLUTELY the BEST field to go into! Those physicians finishing up their 3rd year of residency in IM are going to be thinking, why the hell is that resident-pharmacist still there?! Poor guy.

So: to those pre-pharmers, think LONG and HARD about joining this field before coming in. If you wanna do retail, I think there's a decent future there for the next two decades - that's just my guess! Yeah, the "machines replacing pharmacists" argument is tempting, but I look at the banks with ATM machines, and still see a good amount of tellers and personal bankers working - so nothing really to worry about, for now. Horrible work conditions, yes, but there's a decent check in the end. And yes, get hired by them as a tech/intern early and you have decent chances of getting a good job with the company after - maybe not at your desired location - but you do have a "reliable" job.

If you want to do something "outside the box," you better make friends, quick.

How did you expect residency in pharmacy not to be a complete joke? We tried to get some of the MD/DO/RN/PA 's lunch, but they pushed back too hard.

Our primary role and the reason we get too paid so much is that of a glorified bank teller. Instead of dealing money we deal addictive opiates. If we got paid less, more pharmacists would be tempted to sell opiate medications on the black market. All the 'knowledge' we have is somewhat useless and can be looked up in seconds on the internet. Don't fool yourself about the reality and real value to society of our profession.

Members don't see this ad.

Your loans that are given are taxed as income. If you have $200k loans forgiven 25 years from now, your taxable income would be $200k plus the amount of money you earn that year. If you earn $125k that year, then your tax rate would be $325k, which you would have to pay roughly a lump sum of about $125k to the IRS and state of New York (assuming that's where you live).
And there is no debtor prisons anymore. So you would simply get on a a new minimum payment plan to pay the IRS/state taxes/city taxes that large sum of money over another 20 years or so. It's not like they say, pay all this money right now or go to jail. If you don't have the money you don't have it.

And there is no debtor prisons anymore. So you would simply get on a minimum payment plan to pay the IRS/state taxes/city taxes that large sum of money over another 20 years or so. It's not like they say, pay all this money right now or go to jail. If you don't have the money you don't have it.

If you make bank as a pharmacist, most of it will go toward loan payments and/or the impending tax bomb after 25 years, leaving you not so well off. If you don't make much, then your tax bomb will be larger and you'll have your wages garnished, possibly for the rest of your life if you don't pay.

Looks like you lose either way by carrying a large debt to income ratio.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you make bank as a pharmacist, most of it will go toward loan payments and/or the impending tax bomb after 25 years, leaving you not so well off. If you don't make much, then your tax bomb will be larger and you'll have your wages garnished, possibly for the rest of your life if you don't pay.

Looks like you lose either way by carrying a large debt to income ratio.
Way to use the word b*mb twice. Now this thread is being monitored by the NSA and hurting SDN's bandwidth.

Way to use the word b*mb twice. Now this thread is being monitored by the NSA and hurting SDN's bandwidth.

lol

I'm pretty sure the IRS would like to get in on the monitoring, since they wouldn't be too happy about me warning others about the tax bomb consequences.

Reactions: 1 user