Drug Safety Surveillance Associate? (DSSA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asian pharm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know more about DSSA positions. I tried to get more information about it form the sticky thread on this forum named Industry Pharmacy 101. However, I wanted to start a new one to know as much as information as possible.

Here is what I want to know:

1) Certain postings on jobs boards about these kind of jobs are asking only for a BS degree, and additional certifications like RN,Rph are preferred but not required!!!
I thought you have to be Pharm.D and/or Rph for this.

2) What do DSSA do the most in their typical day at work? Do they attend a lot of meetings? Do they have to prepare the drug monographs for new drugs not in the market yet? (I had to do some monographs at a rotation).
Do they sorta play a middleman between FDA and the drug company while the drug is in pre-approval. How difficult/stressful is this job?
How is the Schedule like? Typical 9-5 M-F, or varies greatly as in retail and/or hospital?

3) Most of these jobs are only in NJ where most of the drug companies like Pfizer, Actavis and others are located. What about the other areas?

4) Is it possible to get such jobs as a new grad? Most of these require experience but I am not going to have any as a new grad. I did not even have a rotation with a drug company. What would applicants like me do to stand out?

5) Any other information you have, feel free to let us all know.

Members don't see this ad.