Drug Terms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Evil1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reciently had a patient admit that she had just smoked a "51" which was a brand new term for me. Apparently it is marajuana and cocaine and seems to be fairly timid compared to what alot of other people admit to me.

Anyone else want to educate the rest of us about new/interesting drug related terminology they have heard in the ED?

Members don't see this ad.

Three from West Philly

chicklets= fentanyl patches, refrigerated and cut into bite sized morsels for sale
pancakes and syrup= soma and codeine syrup, the combination is the key
blue footballs= Xanax 2mg

Dr.Evil1 said:
Reciently had a patient admit that she had just smoked a "51" which was a brand new term for me. Apparently it is marajuana and cocaine and seems to be fairly timid compared to what alot of other people admit to me.

Anyone else want to educate the rest of us about new/interesting drug related terminology they have heard in the ED?

Here's one that I hadn't heard:

"robo-trippin'" - evidently one can take a bunch of cold medicine and hallucinate.

I had a pt say that he wanted to hallucinate and feel detached, so he took a buttload of cold medicine. turns out it was tylenol cold medicine...so as we always do in tox cases...asa, apap, cmp, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
kbrown said:
Here's one that I hadn't heard:

"robo-trippin'" - evidently one can take a bunch of cold medicine and hallucinate.

I had a pt say that he wanted to hallucinate and feel detached, so he took a buttload of cold medicine. turns out it was tylenol cold medicine...so as we always do in tox cases...asa, apap, cmp, etc...

I didn't know there was a street term for it, but what you say describes what was a fad here last year - cough syrup with dextromethorpan for the hallucinogenic effect.

Wet = marijuana soaked in PCP

Mr. Brownstone = Heroin? Only know it from Guns n' Roses.

Corpse- marijuana soaked in embalming fluid

I heard somebody talking about "Pot" the other day. Not quite sure what this refers to - anyone? :confused:

tiene dolor? said:
I heard somebody talking about "Pot" the other day. Not quite sure what this refers to - anyone? :confused:

According to Wikipedia:
a large bowl that is heated in order to cook food in food preparation.
The earliest cooking pots were made of clay or ceramics. Ceramics, such as stoneware or glass, are stable materials that conduct poorly, so these pots must cook over relatively low heats and over long periods of time. They are generally used in ovens, not on stovetops, where they may crack from too much concentrated heat. Even after metal pots came into widespread use, earthenware pots are still preferred among the less well-off, globally, due to their low production cost.
Metal pots are generally made from a narrow range of metals. This is because pots and pans need to conduct heat well, but also need to be chemically unreactive so that they do not alter the flavor of the food. Most materials that are conductive enough to heat evenly are too reactive to use in food preparation

Hope this helps :D

tiene dolor? said:
I'm sure I wouldn't know what you're talking about.

Praetorian said:
Corpse- marijuana soaked in embalming fluid

They don't literally soak MJ in embalming fluid. Wet, other street terms, is for MJ dipped in PCP (liquid). One of the street names for PCP is embalming fluid.

mike

mikecwru said:
They don't literally soak MJ in embalming fluid. Wet, other street terms, is for MJ dipped in PCP (liquid). One of the street names for PCP is embalming fluid.

mike
Other street terms for wet I am aware of are bolt, boat

mikecwru said:

mike

When I was a student, back in 2001, in Jersey City, I had a patient that I was talking to about drug use. We were talking about "dip", which was the MJ/PCP, and he said he had friends that were (literally) smoking embalming fluid. It was NOT euphemisitic.

I don't know what formaldehyde does for a smoke (or if you could get enough to go blind).

Members don't see this ad :)
Apollyon said:
When I was a student, back in 2001, in Jersey City, I had a patient that I was talking to about drug use. We were talking about "dip", which was the MJ/PCP, and he said he had friends that were (literally) smoking embalming fluid. It was NOT euphemisitic.

I don't know what formaldehyde does for a smoke (or if you could get enough to go blind).

Virtually all of these people who "literally" smoked "embalming fluid" test positive for PCP.

mike

mikecwru said:
Virtually all of these people who "literally" smoked "embalming fluid" test positive for PCP.

mike

I don't know, I know of two breakins at funeral homes near where I used to be a medic where the only thing taken was embalming fluid. You have to wonder if the street slang for PCP in hard core urban areas was misinterpreted by more outlying areas?

If so it would bring a whole new meaning to "smoking some good $hit".

- H

I work at a funeral home and I can attest that in fact we have to keep our embalming fluid bottles under lock and key because people have broken in before trying to get the stuff.

Praetorian said:
I work at a funeral home and I can attest that in fact we have to keep our embalming fluid bottles under lock and key because people have broken in before trying to get the stuff.

Hmm...so, people "literally" ARE smoking "embalming fluid" - except in Cleveland, where it's PCP.

Then again, they're not mutually exclusive - it's not a reach to consider someone that would smoke real embalming fluid would also use PCP.

Apollyon said:
Hmm...so, people "literally" ARE smoking "embalming fluid" - except in Cleveland, where it's PCP.

Then again, they're not mutually exclusive - it's not a reach to consider someone that would smoke real embalming fluid would also use PCP.

No, they've actually looked at this in the literature, people who say they've smoked embalming fluid usually test positive for PCP. Am I saying there's not someone stupid enough to try to find REAL embalming fluid? No. I've also had people try to wipe their ass with kerosene to try to fix their hemorrhoids. I'm just saying, if they say that it's dipped in embalming fluid, don't be surprised when they come back PCP.

mike

1: Subst Use Misuse. 2005;40(8):1035-50.

Dust in the wind: the growing use of embalming fluid among youth in Hartford,
CT.

Singer M, Clair S, Schensul J, Huebner C, Eiserman J, Pino R, Garcia J.

Hispanic Health Council, 175 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06106, USA.
[email protected]

This study suggests that use of embalming fluid as a mind-altering drug has been
underreported. Based on a social network recruitment strategy, findings from a
study in 2000 of 401 outreach worker-recruited polydrug-involved youth (ages
16-24 years) from the inner city of Hartford, CT indicate widespread (over 80%
of study participants had used the drug at least once) and regular use of
embalming fluid mixed with either marijuana or mint. This paper reports findings
on frequency and distribution of use, experience, and consequences of use,
access to the drug, and characteristics of embalming fluid users. Given the
toxic substances that comprise embalming fluid, and the tendency, affirmed in
the present study, of the drug to be associated with violent behavior, there is
a need to recognize embalming fluid as a drug of concern among youth.

PMID: 16040367 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2: Subst Use Misuse. 2005;40(4):563-71.

Beliefs and social norms about cigarettes or marijuana sticks laced with
embalming fluid and phencyclidine (PCP): why youth use "fry".

Peters RJ Jr, Kelder SH, Meshack A, Yacoubian GS Jr, McCrimmons D, Ellis A.

Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, School of Public Health,
University of Texas, Houston, USA. [email protected]

Recent drug-use monitoring among Houston adolescents has detected a concoction
of cigarettes or marijuana sticks laced with embalming fluid and PCP ("fry"). To
shed light on this mixture, the current pilot study used a qualitative approach
to investigate relevant beliefs and norms associated with fry initiation and
perceived addiction among 38 youth who were attending outpatient and inpatient
drug-user treatment programs in the spring of 2003. Respondents perceived that
addiction to fry could occur as early as initial consumption, and the majority
of participants indicated that their second fry event occurred either the same
day as their initial use or the next day. In addition, fry use was perceived to
have extremely dangerous consequences. Youth stated that users have impaired
motor skills, hallucinations, long-term mental health problems, incoherent
behavior, paranoia, and aggressive behaviors. Implications for these results are
discussed.

PMID: 15830737 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3: J Psychoactive Drugs. 2003 Jul-Sep;35(3):383-7.

Drug use among Texas alternative school students: findings from Houston's Safer
Choices 2 Program.

Peters RJ Jr, Tortolero SR, Addy RC, Markham C, Yacoubian GS Jr, Escobar-Chaves
LS.

Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, School of Public Health,
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, Texas, USA.

Self-report drug use data were collected from 494 alternative school students,
grades seven through 12, surveyed through the Safer Choices 2 study in Houston,
Texas. Data were collected between October 2000 and March 2001 via audio-enabled
laptop computers equipped with headphones. Twenty-eight percent of the sample
reported past-month marijuana use, and 10% reported past-month opiate/codeine
use. Males were almost twice as likely as females to have used cocaine during
the past month, and over four times as likely to have used opiates/codeine
during the past month. Students 16 years and older and were twice as likely to
have ever used cocaine and opiates/codeine than students under 16 years. Latinos
were 10 times more likely than Blacks to have ever used cocaine; Blacks were
twice as likely as Latinos to have used opiates/codeine during the past month.
Males were twice as likely as females to have tried "fry," a new street drug
made of tobacco or marijuana mixed with embalming fluid and PCP. These new drug
trends are startling because they indicate a potential for long-term treatment
services for abusers.

PMID: 14621137 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4: J Emerg Nurs. 2002 Oct;28(5):432-5.

Acute psychotic reactions: consider "dip dope" intoxication.

Mendyk SL, Fields DW.

Emergency Department, Jersey City Medical Center, NJ, USA. [email protected]

Publication Types:
Case Reports

PMID: 12386625 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

5: J Psychoactive Drugs. 1998 Apr-Jun;30(2):215-9.

Embalming fluid-soaked marijuana: new high or new guise for PCP?

Holland JA, Nelson L, Ravikumar PR, Elwood WN.

Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, Bellevue Hospital, and New York
University School of Medicine, New York 10016, USA.

A growing trend of smoking marijuana soaked in what is purported to be embalming
fluid has been reported in the literature since the mid-1980s. This article
describes several cases of intoxication, gives regional epidemiological data on
this phenomenon, and includes current nomenclature. The authors also analyze a
sample of fluid said to be embalming fluid and discover PCP (phencyclidine) and
multiple congeners and by-products of PCP manufacture. The implications of this
finding are discussed, and the hypothesis that most embalming fluid-soaked
marijuana likely contains PCP is considered.

Publication Types:
Case Reports

PMID: 9692385 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

ERMudPhud said:
1: Subst Use Misuse. 2005;40(8):1035-50...

{Thoughtful, educated and well thought out lit review snipped}

Dang it, why'd you have to go ruin a perfectly good flame war in the making?

Seriously, thanks - lots of good stuff!

- H

tiene dolor? said:
pot is cannabis, i think

ERMudPhud said:
4: J Emerg Nurs. 2002 Oct;28(5):432-5.

Acute psychotic reactions: consider "dip dope" intoxication.

Mendyk SL, Fields DW.

Emergency Department, Jersey City Medical Center, NJ, USA. [email protected]

Publication Types:
Case Reports

PMID: 12386625 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

See? This is the "dip" I refer to above. BTW, Doug Fields is straight out of the 70's - 'Disco Stu' has nothing on him.

nicedream - i'm not joking. 'pot' is old slang in the uk (though still used) - i think its cannabis, the current slang is 'weed'.

leviathan said:
He was being sarcastic. It's used here in North America, too. ;)
woops, :oops:

"booty bump" = subcutaneous crystal meth injected in and around the anal sphincter to function as a muscle relaxant and as an anesthetic.

Patient's CC: my family brought me in because I put tin foil over all the windows to keep out the aliens

MBK2003 said:
"booty bump" = subcutaneous crystal meth injected in and around the anal sphincter to function as a muscle relaxant and as an anesthetic.
oh.....my.....god.......who thinks of these things?

I'm just finishing up M1 anatomy, and wondering if you guys think I can get high off cadaver juice? I mean, the ethanol content is pretty high, right?

when i was in high school, i did know a couple people who woudl "smoke wet." the had heard that dipping joints in formaldehyde would make you "trip balls." so... they stole a preserved pig fetus from the biology classroom and tried it. they said that it did make them "trip balls" but that it also made them "stupid" and "uncoordinated"

now i wasn't there to witness them smoking wet, so i can't be 100% that these idiots actually did it. BUT i do know that one of these guys probably would do it if he thought it would get him high.

said individual pulled his braces off with a spoon for 20 dollars worth of coke at a party.

as for using cough syrup w/dextromethorphan to trip, that has also been around since at least when i was in high school. a different set of friends tried this. luckily they were smart enough to get the syrup w/o APAP. but they weren't smart enough to get the syrup w/o gaufenissen..... so..... (per their reports) they got to experience horrible nausea while tripping.

i don't know why people can't just stick w/smoking pot. ya know? what's wrong with pot? why do people need crank and coke and heroin and percocet blah blah blah. if i could choose between those and pot, i'd pick the weed man.

stoic said:
....i don't know why people can't just stick w/smoking pot. ya know? what's wrong with pot? why do people need crank and coke and heroin and percocet blah blah blah. if i could choose between those and pot, i'd pick the weed man.
Right on, man. Righteous.

You think that's bad, I'm waiting for someone to try to smoke some of the cavity fluid we embalm the internal organs with (via a trocar). One of our mortuary students used A DROP to "clean out" a cut once (figuring it that it would clean the wound killing anything that was in there). He couldn't feel or move his hand for several days. The bottle carries a warning that it can cause seizures, nerve damage, coma, vomiting, dizziness, blindness, and (I quote) "probable death if ingested". Not possible, PROBABLE.

Actually most embalming fluids (especially those used on anatomical specimens) contain very little grain alcohol (ethanol), but often contain methanol (aka wood alcohol) which is extremely toxic and doesn't pack a good buzz.