Drug test in medical school? When and how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoiraBonita

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what methods schools normally use for drug tests and when they typically do it? I've heard randomly before 1st year, before 3rd year etc...

Members don't see this ad.

why don't we just NOT do coke and then we won't have to worry about it :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Google the words "femoral arterial stick" and "14 gauge Angiocath" and you will have your answer as to "how" they do it.....

why don't we just NOT do coke and then we won't have to worry about it :love:

actually really the only drug that theyre scanning for on a drug test or "tox screen" is marijuana which stays in your system up to a month after using it. Coke and most other drugs of abuse are outta your system 2/3 days after you use them. So you can still do coke just don't smoke weed the month of your test.

woh woh im just curious. if they do a hair test than it detects substances 3 months back.

Even if the school does test you the school has to at least let you know about the test prior to it.

actually really the only drug that theyre scanning for on a drug test or "tox screen" is marijuana which stays in your system up to a month after using it. Coke and most other drugs of abuse are outta your system 2/3 days after you use them. So you can still do coke just don't smoke weed the month of your test.

That time period is for blood tests, they can also do urine or hair (which detects substances from 90 days back)

woh woh im just curious. if they do a hair test than it detects substances 3 months back.
It won't be a hair test those are too expensive to test a whole class. I knew that if someone asked this question he or she would get no useful answers, only smart ass judgmental posts.

It won't be a hair test those are too expensive to test a whole class. I knew that if someone asked this question he or she would get no useful answers, only smart ass judgmental posts.

haha. it had to be done ;)

and i hope you are right. thanks.

so you think they are just looking for the chronic users, then?

This is kinda like a fat person in a speedo. Just because they come in 5X doesn't mean they should.

I think the majority of MD schools do not test before first year. But I am not sure and it is probably dependent on the school. But the school would have to let you know before they test, there wouldn't be any random drug testing without you knowing before you stepped on campus.

I have done searches on this topic and all the threads pretty much end in the same manner.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just stop doing drugs and get a life. Are you that much of a dopehead that you can't even quit for the risk of getting thrown out of med school?

There's a really simple solution if you're worried about a hair test. It's called a razor.

There's a really simple solution if you're worried about a hair test. It's called a razor.
Be sure to get all the hair on your body.....you don't want them going for your short and curlies..... :laugh:

Just shave your hair then. All of it.... ;)

-----------
dammit! after I posted this I saw the one above haha

That time period is for blood tests, they can also do urine or hair (which detects substances from 90 days back)

a urine test will NOT detect anything used longer than a few days ago except cannabis, if it aint in the blood it aint in the urine

Actually, razor works well from what I hear. It forces them to use hairs that do not capture the substances as well as your long and very quickly growing head hair. I'm not sure why this is, but other hair on your body is a bit coarser. Also, anything you cut off removes a portion of your "record" (So even cutting your hair is mildly effective for something you might have done, say, 2-3 months earlier.)

I won't pass judgment on you. As long as you're not harming yourself, I don't see one lifestyle any more or less valid than another. Know that some Med Schools do check, though, and take a habit of reading their student handbooks if you can find them, or asking students anonymously, or heck, even calling having a friend call in and ask anonymously.

I won't pass judgment on you. As long as you're not harming yourself, I don't see one lifestyle any more or less valid than another. Know that some Med Schools do check, though, and take a habit of reading their student handbooks if you can find them, or asking students anonymously, or heck, even calling having a friend call in and ask anonymously.
I think the tests are to keep him from harming others rather than harming himself. I could care less if he wanted to hurt himself, that's his choice (unless he's suicidal). I care more about what he'll do to other people.

Well of course if he's not harming others as well. That's a given, although I'm sorry for not mentioning it. As an addendum then, as long as he's not harming himself or others, then I will not pass judgment.

I work for a med school that does hair tests on all new hires. I would be surprised if they didn't do it on new students... Just this school though.

Does anyone know what methods schools normally use for drug tests and when they typically do it? I've heard randomly before 1st year, before 3rd year etc...

Probably when you start seeing real patients and working in the hospital, you're going to need a drug test.
But why risk it? Avoid the risk and the added stress. Just get yourself some help and quit. You risk getting kicked out of school, having it on your record, and losing your financial aid.

This is kinda like a fat person in a speedo. Just because they come in 5X doesn't mean they should.

Exactly, its also kind of like a picture of a homely goth/emo chick. Just because a person can use it as an avatar doesn't mean they should

I am kidding, but I swear to god no matter what angle I look at my computer screen from your eyes follow me. Real pictures as avatars are unnerving

ummmm, I don't think smoking pot every once in a while will negatively affect your performance in medical school or as a doctor. Its not like anyone on here intends to be high when taking a test or seeing patients. In my opinion, alcohol has much more negative effects--you can overdose, its more addictive, causes violent behavior, more driving accidents. But people seem to think it is acceptable and marijuana is not purely because of its legality.
So don't be hatin' on the weed!!

And I haven't heard of any med schools drug testing students....I certainly hope not :oops:

Probably when you start seeing real patients and working in the hospital, you're going to need a drug test.
But why risk it? Avoid the risk and the added stress. Just get yourself some help and quit. You risk getting kicked out of school, having it on your record, and losing your financial aid.

you seriously think the OP cares...I wonder who's the stupid one here?

I think the tests are to keep him from harming others rather than harming himself. I could care less if he wanted to hurt himself, that's his choice (unless he's suicidal). I care more about what he'll do to other people.

right...that's why these drug screens test for alcohol usage...:idea::rolleyes:

I can see why such a question would raise suspicions of a drug problem, but that is not the case at all. perhaps a certain friend of mine has some time on his hands and would like to explore his options for summer recreation...:D

Dear OP,

you're probably better off without it. although i know some people who smoke a lot and make straight a's...but those are a rare exception.

i think once you are in medical school, you'll be so busy and the people around you won't be doing it, so you'll probably just forget about it altogether. once you're on the hospital environment, i think it will provide a new "high" to replace your MJ craving.

Dear OP,

you're probably better off without it. although i know some people who smoke a lot and make straight a's...but those are a rare exception.

i think once you are in medical school, you'll be so busy and the people around you won't be doing it, so you'll probably just forget about it altogether. once you're on the hospital environment, i think it will provide a new "high" to replace your MJ craving.

I have actually been surprised by the amount of people doing this in my class, most of whom are fairly open about it.(I am pre-clinical & they don't test us until start of 3rd year.)

I have actually been surprised by the amount of people doing this in my class, most of whom are fairly open about it.(I am pre-clinical & they don't test us until start of 3rd year.)

really? interesting... i just presume that medical school will be exciting and phenomenal (minus all the studying), that you will be too excited and into medicine to really crave or need

really? interesting... i just presume that medical school will be exciting and phenomenal (minus all the studying), that you will be too excited and into medicine to really crave or need

maybe it's not a crave or need, but instead an added bonus

ummmm, I don't think smoking pot every once in a while will negatively affect your performance in medical school or as a doctor. Its not like anyone on here intends to be high when taking a test or seeing patients. In my opinion, alcohol has much more negative effects--you can overdose, its more addictive, causes violent behavior, more driving accidents. But people seem to think it is acceptable and marijuana is not purely because of its legality.
So don't be hatin' on the weed!!

And I haven't heard of any med schools drug testing students....I certainly hope not :oops:

I don't think that many (if any) med schools require drug tests. But the hospitals that you rotate through might. At my school, 3rd year students who are going to rotate through our affiliated peds hospital will be asked to give a urine sample AND undergo an alcohol screen.