drug test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boulderdash4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for residency interviews. Should I mention to PD about having positive urine drug test for marijuana which was the reason i left the previous residency program. I have completed substance abuse counseling and otherwise have no bad record. My question is the likelihood of PD/office contacting my previous program regarding me. Would it better to be honest and confess everything or be quiet? Also what are the chances that my honesty will work out in my favor and I will probably get ranked in this out of match position?
Anyone know of similar story..? Please guide and share info. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am assuming that you have disclosed on your ERAS form that you've had previous post graduate training? If so, then it will come up. If not, you probably want to fix that. As for your second question, you are a proven risk. It will depend on the program and how much they believe you aren't going to drop positive in the future.

Agree with BADMD,the first thing that the interviewer will ask you will be why you left your program .

Has anyone heard a similar story to this or know of someone who has completed residency successfully...? What are the chances that the PD will accept me into program..?

Also, it will come up when you apply for a medical license, and may require monitoring. Leaving something like this off of your application could be considered fraud -- especially since the ERAS application includes a question "Is there anything in your past that might limit your ability to get a license / credentialed". You would absolutely need to disclose this fact there.

Will someone take you? I don't know. What have you done to deserve that? Have you been in an ongoing voluntary surveillance program (usually run by the Board of Medicine)?

Honesty is the best policy here. To make your life easier you will have to make it a pain in the ass . . . sounds a little Zen? It is. PM me. I know something about these things.