Drug Testing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Often times the "benefits" are intangible. Psychological, and some would argue even emotional. A dependence on a substance is a relationship, and we all know how difficult it can be to get out of a bad relationship. It is something that is always there for you, something you can always turn to. Often, it is a way to "interact" with something and have unconditional acceptance - which is especially precious to people who have difficulty interacting with others or making true interpersonal connections (which in this day and age, seems to be getting harder and harder in some ways). So much about addiction is about trying to make connections, or trying to fill in the gap caused by a lack of connections. It's not an excuse, but it's an explanation.

Amen. I miss that bedtime cigarette still and it's been 2 years since I last had one.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a general question why are people so ok with drinking and not smoking? Just because of legal reasons?

@wheelin2vetmed and @WhtsThFrequency you're awesome!

Yeah, it's never made sense to me either. A couple social drinks is "ok", but the same people who say that will get pretty high and mighty about an occasional bit of weed and start puffing out their chests about how nobody who does weed should practice medicine (*gasp!*). Stupid, and it makes no sense. If their position was "no alcohol, no weed, no anything" .... I'd still disagree, but at least it would be consistent.

I don't see any problem with occasional recreational use on your own time, if done safely and respectfully (i.e. not driving, not done around people who don't want to be exposed to smoke, etc.).

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not going to start talking about my background here. WAY too much judgment from pretentious young kids here who think they have life all figured out because they've made it as far as vet school.

You are going to hurt the snowflakes feelings. I am sure they are already feeling triggered by this post.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not going to start talking about my background here. WAY too much judgment from pretentious young kids here who think they have life all figured out because they've made it as far as vet school.

Buncha goody goodies, like I said. :smuggrin:

Eh, if we are gonna argue about something, we could probably do better than this.

Nutrition.

GO.

nope-nope-nope-gif-124.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Really think the opinions on here depend at least partially on where people are from, and how common weed is in that area. Coming from an area where it is completely "normal" although still illegal, I feel like this posted question is completely valid and actually quite a good one. If someone was from an area where weed is viewed more as an illegal narcotic, I could see the question being quite horrifying.

Does recreational use (at responsible times) impact you being able to be a qualified vet? In my opinion no. Would being under the influence of any substance (alcohol or weed) during your work impact it? In my opinion yes.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't ventured in to the pre-med/med student area of SDN yet, so I'm not sure if this a vet field vs med field thing or an SDN vs real life thing, but I find the opinions here to be pretty interesting. I'm dating a med student, and at this point most of my regular free time has been spent around med students, and even in conservative Texas they're very open to the idea of recreational marijuana usage. I'm straight edge for personal reasons, and my girlfriend is an occasional glass of wine sort of person, but probably a quarter of the class smoked occasionally during the first two years, and recreational coke and prescription drug use wasn't uncommon (though not nearly as prolific as marijuana usage) either when they were unwinding. Binge drinking was very common. They started getting tested in their third year, so it's all stopped as far as I'm aware, but difference in attitudes is pretty stark.

Can anyone in vet school chime in on whether or not vet students party like med students?

I wish I could afford to have a coke habit

** not to use it, but the extra money I'd have from not buying any would be nice

Reactions: 6 users
I haven't ventured in to the pre-med/med student area of SDN yet, so I'm not sure if this a vet field vs med field thing or an SDN vs real life thing, but I find the opinions here to be pretty interesting. I'm dating a med student, and at this point most of my regular free time has been spent around med students, and even in conservative Texas they're very open to the idea of recreational marijuana usage. I'm straight edge for personal reasons, and my girlfriend is an occasional glass of wine sort of person, but probably a quarter of the class smoked occasionally during the first two years, and recreational coke and prescription drug use wasn't uncommon (though not nearly as prolific as marijuana usage) either when they were unwinding. Binge drinking was very common. They started getting tested in their third year, so it's all stopped as far as I'm aware, but difference in attitudes is pretty stark.

Can anyone in vet school chime in on whether or not vet students party like med students?
I'm not sure about any drug use in my class, but there is a small group of students that gets embarrassingly drunk regularly. Most of us probably drink a glass of wine several times a week, but yeah there are a select few that cannot cut themselves off when drinking on the weekends, and they get to a point where others are uncomfortable or they do some really stupid things.

As someone who works with a population that deals with treating addiction, the stigma around drug use is incredibly prohibitive. I'm 100% it's why no one here really speaks out much about their own potential drug use because you never know who is watching. I worked in a company where I had to pee in a cup every year and the gossip mill talked about people who lost their jobs for indiscrete social media posts about their job, so it's not at all surprising to me that the majority here is toting the socially acceptable line.

there were people in my class that drank a lot, some that did recreational pot.

I didn't know about anything stronger (in my class).

We had periodic binge drinkers (usually of the "I can go out and party ONCE in the next three months, better make it worth it!" variety), and probably had some pot smokers though nobody was overt about it. Really, the only one that I judged was the chick who popped Ritalin to study.

In regards to reactions to this question that @BeautifulBritishColumbia mentioned... I don't know if that has much to do with it. Marijauana use is pretty damn common and socially accepted (if illegal) in Nova Scotia, but at no point in my school/university/vet school career has random drug testing been a thing. Unless someone said something to the faculty/honour committee or you were showing up to class obviously smelling of it or impaired, I don't think they'd randomly test you.

We had periodic binge drinkers (usually of the "I can go out and party ONCE in the next three months, better make it worth it!" variety), and probably had some pot smokers though nobody was overt about it. Really, the only one that I judged was the chick who popped Ritalin to study.

In regards to reactions to this question that @BeautifulBritishColumbia mentioned... I don't know if that has much to do with it. Marijauana use is pretty damn common and socially accepted (if illegal) in Nova Scotia, but at no point in my school/university/vet school career has random drug testing been a thing. Unless someone said something to the faculty/honour committee or you were showing up to class obviously smelling of it or impaired, I don't think they'd randomly test you.
I didn't mean to sound like I was talking about the testing itself. I was more referring to the tone of the replies from other posters to the question, and my take on that. :)

I have absolutely no idea about any school doing any type of drug testing

I feel like this posted question is completely valid and actually quite a good one. If someone was from an area where weed is viewed more as an illegal narcotic, I could see the question being quite horrifying.

I don't find the question horrifying. I just find that a little bit of common sense. I mean, really thinking about that question and the OP probably has his answer. It isn't difficult to figure out what the answer to that question would be if he just used a bit of common sense.

Reactions: 1 user