Drugs and Bugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdeast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm terrible at them. We don't have a formal pharmacology or really microbiology course at our medical school (it's integrated into the organ blocks, but always de-emphasized and not taught well). I feel like I'm good at Path/Pathophysiology/Physiology questions, but these bug and drugs questions are KILLING me.

What's the best way to learn them? Flashcards? Tables? etc. Need the best resource/advice.

Members don't see this ad.

How much time do you have?

I had poor pharm teaching at my school too, so I went through all of the Kaplan videos during 2nd year, and now I think pharm is my #1 subject in Kaplan/UW questions.

My micro teaching was also practically nonexistent, but I haven't figured out a good way to make up for that yet... I think I'll just add it to my cram list for the days before the test.

Is it possible to just get the Pharm videos somewhere? How long are they?

Is it possible to just get the Pharm videos somewhere? How long are they?

Of course it's "possible" to find them online, but I'm not sure if there's a legal way to do it...

If I remember correctly, it was about 40ish hours... but I don't have the videos on my hard drive anymore, so I could be misremembering. I went through them with a study group, and after every section, we'd go through the Kaplan textbook and FA and then make a summary of all of the new drugs we learned on a big whiteboard. All in all, it took us about 1.5-2 months at about 2 hours a day.

There's also this:
http://www.doctorsintraining.com/pharmacology
I haven't tried it myself, but it seems pretty useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I've heard FA and UWorld is enough for pharma and micro. You could try Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple for Micro. Its a quick read and very easy to retain the info in there.

Get cmmrs and just go over tables in each chapter and add supplemental info in first aid with uworld,don't bother with Kaplan it is too long.

I personally love Bugcards -- http://www.amazon.com/Bugcards-Complete-Microbiology-Review-Boards/dp/0967165539. They're very detailed, and you can just schlep them around whenever you're not sitting down studying and review them when you have time and you'll retain quite a bit.

YMMV, but they were a lifesaver for me for micro when we had it during 1st year and they've been really helpful for Step 1 studying also.