DSW to PsyD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olayak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows about a DSW becoming a PsyD or PhD in Counseling/Clinical Psychology. I know that if you have a PhD in another field of psychology (cognitive, developmental, etc) you can then go for "respecialization" to become a licensed clinical psychologist. I know that if you have an EdD in psychology, you can also respecialize. Is there such a transition for a DSW? I'm just wondering because I'm working towards a DSW and I would like to someday have a clinical (or counseling) psychology license. If you're wondering why, it's because there is some added flexibility with the psychology degree that isnt available with the DSW. I would love to someday be director of the psych wing of a hospital, for example. They don't usually let a DSW do that (although, maybe someday!) Anyway, can a DSW respecialize to become a clinical psychologist? What kinds of classes should I take in the DSW program to ensure that I qualify for respecialization?

(I already hold a MSW, MA (biopsychology) and MSEd (education). I'm not looking for (yet) another masters and it would be way too much for me to do a PhD psych program after the DSW. Also, I believe that most schools won't even let you do two doctoral degrees that are very similar.) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That's why I'm asking, a DSW is very similar to clinical psych. I was thinking there was some way to cross over without having to do a whole other PhD.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
It is common for MSW to return to complete a doctoral psychology program. However, the DSW is an administrative, research, teaching emphasis so most don't pursue a PhD/PsyD psychology degree.

If you desire to be a director of a psychiatric wing of a hospital your best option would be to get a RN degree. I have worked in psychiatric units and I have never seen a psychologist as a director or more common title of unit manager. Most psychiatric hospital have LPC/LCSW and they have psychologist as contractors for testing and evaluations.

If you have just started your DSW and your MA in psychology is within the last ten years, some PhD/PsyD programs will let you transfer your MA degree into your doctoral degree program if the credits are equivalent. This would reduce your time in the program to two-three years and actually would be similar to re specialization program.

With your DSW you will actually qualify for many high paying Mental Health CEO/ director positions and the PhD/PsyD would not help you as these degrees qualify you for clinical positions. For example PhD/PsyD licensed psychologists would need to return to gets A MHA or MBA to qualify for Hospital CEO/administrative positions.

From my perspective the DSW would only be needed for administrative qualifications and many work as Director of State Mental Health Programs having much higher income potential than you would find with having the PhD/PsyD in psychology.

There are only a handful of DSW program and I know the KU and UT Arlington programs are very difficult to gain admissions into and most who finish work as Program Directors for State Mental Health Programs with high salary and administrative responsibilities. So you could potentially reach a much higher income level with the DSW than you would have as a psychologist and have administrative responsibly for psychologist on staff.

Last edited:
It is common for MSW to return to complete a doctoral psychology program. However, the DSW is an administrative, research, teaching emphasis so most don' pursue a PhD/PsyD psychology degree.

If you desire to be a director of a psychiatric wing of a hospital your best option would be to get a RN degree. I have worked in psychiatric units and I have never seen a psychologist as a director or more common title of unit manager. Most psychiatric hospital have LPC/LCSW and they have psychologist as contractors for testing and evaluations.

If you have just started your DSW and your MA in psychology is within the last ten years, some PhD/PsyD programs will let you transfer your MA degree into your doctoral degree program if the credits are equivalent. This would reduce your time in the program to two-three years and actually would be similar to re specialization program.

With your DSW you will actually qualify for many high paying Mental Health CEO/ director positions and the PhD/PsyD would not help you as these degrees qualify you for clinical positions. For example PhD/PsyD licensed psychologists would need to return to gets A MHA or MBA to qualify for Hospital CEO/administrative positions.

From my perspective the DSW would only be needed for administrative qualifications and many work as Director of State Mental Health Programs having much higher income potential than you would find with having the PhD/PsyD in psychology.

There are only a handful of DSW program and I know the KU and UT Arlington programs are very difficult to gain admissions into and most who finish work as Program Directors for State Mental Health Programs with high salary and administrative responsibilities. So you could potentially reach a much higher income level with the DSW than you would have as a psychologist and have administrative responsibly for psychologist on staff.

The director/program manager of my system's inpatient unit is a psychologist. At multiple prior settings, including community mental health, it was a psychiatrist (which is the most common setup I've seen). In both instances, psychologists were also employed, although to varying degrees. So it'll really depend on the hospital.

The DSW may seem to have a good bit in common with clinical/counseling psychology, but I'd actually be a bit surprised if there truly is a lot of overlap, as social work and psychology are of course two different fields, and approach treatment from two different (although related) perspectives.

As futureapppsy mentioned, I've not seen a respecialization program that allows for anything other than a non-clinical psychology doctoral degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users
The director/program manager of my system's inpatient unit is a psychologist. At multiple prior settings, including community mental health, it was a psychiatrist (which is the most common setup I've seen). In both instances, psychologists were also employed, although to varying degrees. So it'll really depend on the hospital.

The DSW may seem to have a good bit in common with clinical/counseling psychology, but I'd actually be a bit surprised if there truly is a lot of overlap, as social work and psychology are of course two different fields, and approach treatment from two different (although related) perspectives.

As futureapppsy mentioned, I've not seen a respecialization program that allows for anything other than a non-clinical psychology doctoral degree.

I have worked in State and Private Psychiatric Hospital units and normally the unit manager is a RN. MD/DO psychiatrist are medical director but they typically are only at the unit one day or half day a week and are called as needed, as they work in multiple Hospitals. Psychologist may be therapist but more common a LPC/LCSW are the therapist.

Many superintendent of State Hospitals are now MSW, whereas used to be MD psychiatrist.

Last edited: