Dual applying IM and FM for primary care = bad form?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soulfishsix

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was set on family med until last week, when some long conversations with a dean convinced me to apply to some internal med-primary care programs too. From what I've seen, FM and IM-PC residencies can be pretty similar aside from peds/OB/surgery. I've heard a few IM-PC tracks even include decent women's health and procedures, which sounds great.

My question: is it considered bad form to dual apply? If the programs are at the same institution, will PDs know/care? Does it matter if the programs are both affiliated with the same university but based at different sites...? My scores/grades/LoRs are quite strong, so those shouldn't limit me either way.

My thought process on FM vs IM, if you're interested (I know there are a ton of threads on this already):
-For FM: I like the focus on prevention and outpatient procedures. I'm not interested in any IM fellowships (right now, anyway). I like that I could literally work anywhere on the planet, "womb to tomb", as they say. OB was kinda cool, for a few weeks anyway.
-For IM: I enjoyed the more "cerebral/puzzle-solving" attitude of medicine, and I could live without peds/OB (especially since one of my worries is that I'll already be overwhelmed with how much I have to know). Granted, I've never actually been on FM inpatient service, so I can only go by what I've heard.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends what you mean by "bad form". From a practical standpoint, it makes plenty of sense. IM and FM are quite similar, especially if you plan to practice primary care. From a program standpoint, I don't want to waste my interview slots on someone who is likely going to rank me low. If I think you're probably favoring FM, and you'll rank 8-10 FM programs and then start ranking IM programs, I might not want to interview you if I think I'll be that low on your rank list.

PD's only know if we talk to each other and compare lists.

Reactions: 2 users
I would not recommend applying to both programs at the same institution, just because it makes it more likely that the PDs will chat with each other, but I know a couple people in my class who went this route, especially because good FM programs were hard to find in the areas they wanted to do residency (esp the Northeast), and IM programs in these areas were very robust. Just make sure your personal statement doesn't have things specific to one specialty or the other (or you have two PS, one for each), and that your letter writers are aware of your desire to apply to both, so they don't mention anything specific in your letters.

Reactions: 1 user