Dual Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manager

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to derm, but I will need a backup plan. I have always loved the ED too, so I am going to apply to ED as a backup.

I'm a decent applicant
Good MD school
247 step 1
HP and P in all clinicals (worst part of my app)
Good extras and research

Question is: how do I go about dual applying. I can do a home EM rotation in Sept and an away rotation in Oct.

Will that put me too far behind?
How many programs should I apply to?
How does one balance interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Unsolicited advice: 247 and lack of honors is going to make derm a very difficult reach especially if you don't have a bunch of published research in the field. Have you talked with head of derm at your school about your chances of matching? I think that's a crucial bit of info in determining how to balance derm vs EM interviews. Although if you don't get many derm interviews the problem may solve itself. With that board score and no glaring academic deficiencies plus a good SLOR you should get interviews in EM (I think the number is somewhere around ranking 9 programs to have a near 100% chance of matching in EM).

Will I be too late doing my first home EM rotation in Sept? Is it required to get the second LOR from another program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will I be too late doing my first home EM rotation in Sept? Is it required to get the second LOR from another program?

Most PDs will be more impressed with SLOEs from two different places than two SLOEs from the same place that say the same thing.

Also, from last year's Charting Outcomes, 12 ranks is about 99% likelihood of matching for US allopathic students

Ah, I see. Well is October too late? I know it's not ideal, but it is way to late or just kinda late?

So it won't put me at any disadvantage to do my EM stuff this late? Obviously, I will get my app sent off ASAP. Can you add letters after the app is sent? What months are interviews for EM?

So it won't put me at any disadvantage to do my EM stuff this late? Obviously, I will get my app sent off ASAP. Can you add letters after the app is sent? What months are interviews for EM?

Of course it may put you at a disadvantage, particularly for the first round of invite, but who knows if it will make an actual impact. Interviews are usually late Sept to January. Just do your best and it will be fine.