Dual AuD/SLP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaggyJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to an AuD program for fall 2015 but after reading some negative reviews of the profession of audiology I am considering doing a dual program for audiology and speech pathology to give me an option once entering the field. Does anyone have any insight or advice for this track? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not aware of any programs that offer a dual program in AuD/SLP. Are you saying you would complete one program after the other? I think it would be impossible to complete both programs concurrently.

I agree, there are joint AUD/PHD programs, but not AUD/SLP. You would need to complete one and then the other... and that's around 6 years. I would honestly figure out which is best for you and pursue that alone. You can always go back later to do the other, but that's a lot of money too for "options"

What are your concerns about audiology? I am applying for Fall 2015 too, and am also aware of some negatives in the field. You're right, SLP is probably a more stable option with more stable job options, but for me, I don't want to be an SLP. I wouldn't enjoy the work. I want to be an audiologist, and am aware of the challenges in the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not being able to find a job, honestly.

That's a valid concern. From my understanding, most programs have 100% employment rate after graduation... however, you will probably have to move. I want to work in pediatrics, and so I need to be open to the whole country to find the job I want. However, if you want a job in a certain state or city, SLP is much better option, more dense jobs. I do think that job prospects are rather positive with audiology, but you have to be willing to move as there may just be a handful in any given city.