Dual Degree PhD in Clinical & MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kb1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently discovered about some schools offering a dual degree of PhD in clinical and MPH. My primary interest is phd in clinical psychology and I've always focused my attention on that. However, public health has always been something that has also interested me, but I thought that programs that combine these two don't exist.

I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge about these sort of degrees. What difference will it make if I just obtain a PhD than have a PhD & MPH as well. My career goal was becoming a clinical psychologist, but I also equally wouldn't mind working for the CDC and other similar agencies. I'm perfectly fine with a career in either fields.

Psychology and epidemiology both fascinates me so much, and if I could combine the two, that would be amazing. I'm currently an undergrad majoring in psychology. I will have some RA experience, as well as possibly posters by the time I graduate.

I'm also wondering about anyone's thought if I apply to these dual programs, but as a back-up apply to MPH programs and then go on to a PhD in clinical, if I don't get into the dual program. I don't want to waste a year doing nothing, waiting for the next enrollment. There have been topics about these on here, but they weren't that informative. I'm hoping more info can be provided here

I apologize if I'm asking so many questions!

Members don't see this ad.

My career goal was becoming a clinical psychologist, but I also equally wouldn't mind working for the CDC and other similar agencies. I'm perfectly fine with a career in either fields.
Being a "clinical psychologist" is a broad term. What would you like to do in particular? If you are just looking to be an independent practitioner an MPH may not be worth the extra resources. However, if you would like to do epidemiological research or conduct large health studies it may be an asset.

It really depends on your career goals. FWIW, someone in my program applied to an MPH program after 2 years and is completing the requirements in tandem. So, you may not have to decide at the moment if you should only apply to dual programs.