DUI liability on pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

(Thread Title)

• No

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ExpressMaiL

alea iacta est
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014...om-injuries-sustained-in-redondo-beach-crash/

Local conjecture is that she was under the influence of pain medication at the time of this incident. I wonder if they will try and point fingers to the pharmacist for not providing adequate education/pharmacy not training personnel on proper counseling.

Thoughts?

Tangent - NECC execs charged with 25 counts of 2nd degree murder.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There have been lots of cases like this through the years (the Troy/Alana Pack one comes to mind, the one that spurred CURES & the failed prop 46 ballot measure).

It really depends. If you have some single pharmacist filling and dispensing clear "doctor shopping" patients, there may be a case.

Anyone know if the above situation would fall under MICRA? If so, this case will never make it to trial. Pain and suffering damage limit of $250k and dead children = ZERO economic damages...this case would go nowhere, fast.

Yeah even I asked my brother who has started his internship with a DUI lawyer about this case and he also echoed the same views that it might not be heading anywhere. This is one of weird thing I find about law many times.

just a hunch, but I suspect she was NOT taking her prescription medication as ordered. In which case, the pharmacist can't be blamed, if for example, the bottle is correctly labelled take 1 tablet every 6 hours, and someone decides to take 4 tablets every 2 hours (because they "have so much pain"), the blame is 100% on that person.

As for the NECC case, from what I've read of it, murder charges are appropriate. They were preparing supposedly sterile compounds without preservatives for intrathecal administration, in a filthy environment, they had been cited for problems as far back as 2002 which were never fixed.....this seems far more than ignorance or the kind of stupid screw-up anyone can do.