Duke finds cure for Glioblastoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.ibtimes.com/cancer-patients-cured-polio-virus-duke-university-trial-cbs-reports-1862796

The 60 minutes episode which aired tonight could be a game changer for those diagnosed with Glioblastoma.
I was really impressed with their Phase 1 results in patients who received the LOW DOSE modified Polio Virus.
Those who received the high dose version of the polio virus all died in less than 24 months.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/29/polio-virus-kills-brain-tumor/8467081/

Members don't see this ad.

Slide4.png

PBT= Primary Brain Tumor

Members don't see this ad :)
A Brief Background About PVS-RIPO.
PVS-RIPO is a genetically engineered poliovirus that is being investigated as a new anti-cancer agent at the Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke. The idea of targeting cancer with viruses has been around for at least 100 years. However, valid strategies of using ‘oncolytic’ (cancer-fighting) viruses emerged only recently. This is mostly due to technological advances in genetic engineering of viruses.

To work against cancers in patients, oncolytic viruses must target cancer cells for infection and they must kill them. At the same time, they must be safe. Accomplishing this is very difficult scientifically and only very few viruses are suitable as cancer-fighting agents in the clinic. We achieved this feat by genetic engineering to remove poliovirus’ inherent disease-causing ability (a piece of genetic code of a cold-causing rhinovirus was spliced into the poliovirus genome). PVS-RIPO naturally infects almost all cancer cells, because the receptor for poliovirus (which is used for cell entry) is abnormally present on most tumor cells. PVS-RIPO kills cancer cells, but not normal cells, because its ability to grow (and kill) depends on biochemical abnormalities only present in cancer cells. Safety testing in non-human primates and human patients has shown no nerve cell killing, no ability to cause poliomyelitis, and no ability of PVS-RIPO to change back to wild type poliovirus that can cause poliomyelitis.

What is the Clinical Experience with PVS-RIPO? The FDA approved clinical trials with PVS-RIPO in brain tumor patients recently. Since May 2012, five brain tumor patients have been treated. Remarkably, there have been no toxic side effects with PVS-RIPO whatsoever, even at the highest possible dose (10 billion infectious virus particles).

MRIs-from-PV(3).gif
There have been very encouraging signs in patients treated with PVS-RIPO. The first patient enrolled in our study (treated in May 2012) had her symptoms improve rapidly upon virus infusion (she is now symptom-free), had a response in MRI scans, is in excellent health, and continues in school 9 months after the return of her brain tumor was diagnosed. Four patients enrolled in our trial remain alive, and we have observed similarly encouraging responses in other patients. One patient died six months following PVS-RIPO infusion, due to tumor regrowth.

How Does PVS-RIPO work? PVS-RIPO is infused directly into a patients’ tumor (e.g. in the brain). This assures that the maximal amount of virus is delivered directly to the tumor. Once inside the tumor, PVS-RIPO infects and kills tumor cells. Although this tumor cell killing alone may have tumor-fighting results, the likely key to therapy with PVS-RIPO is its ability to recruit the patients’ immune response against the cancer. There are many events following PVS-RIPO infusion into the tumor that can contribute to such an outcome. The human immune system is trained to recognize virus infections and, thus, responds vigorously to the infected tumor. Unraveling why and how the immune system attacks tumors that were infused with PVS-RIPO is a major research goal in the Gromeier Laboratory.

What are our Plans for the Future? Currently, Phase I clinical trials of PVS-RIPO against recurrent glioblastoma brain tumors are ongoing at Duke. We plan to extend these studies (Phase II/III) in a quest to establish PVS-RIPO as a possible therapy for brain tumors. In addition, PVS-RIPO has the potential to work for other types of cancers. The reason for this is that the mechanisms responsible for PVS-RIPO’s effects against brain tumors broadly apply to almost all cancers.

I did a poster presentation at MSKCC about using scorpion venom as a vehicle to deliver chemotherapy directly to glioblastoma without any other toxicity. They were in phase 2 trials at UAB last i checked with some pretty promising results as well. This was a few years ago, I will check into it and report back here. Seems glioblastoma is getting some good attention.

Reactions: 1 user
I did a poster presentation at MSKCC about using scorpion venom as a vehicle to deliver chemotherapy directly to glioblastoma without any other toxicity. They were in phase 2 trials at UAB last i checked with some pretty promising results as well. This was a few years ago, I will check into it and report back here. Seems glioblastoma is getting some good attention.
Interesting. It appears that "cancer" is in for a fight.

I hope it proves to be effective. That particular cancer has taken at least three people I know in the last three years.

Good stuff. This is what makes academic positions worth it.