Duke SMDEP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ionou

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the Duke SMDEP? I was accepted earlier this month and I want to know more about it. If you participated, I'd like some comments. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yea, I just got my rejection letter from the Duke SMDEP. Maybe its because I am not from one of the underrepresented groups(Native American, African-American, Hispanic), I don't know.

Not to be nosey, but are you from one of the underrepresented groups?

I just got a rejection from Duke too!!!

I'm not URM either... I really wanted to go there :mad:

I'm still waiting to here from Columbia though, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I got into UVA at least though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an URM at all. I am Korean and I don't attend a community college or a state school. I go to Harvey Mudd College. I got in to Nebraska and Duke, but not Yale.

Did any of you apply to the CASE SMDEP program? I did it a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. I think a lot of people paint a negative picture of Cleveland, but it is a beautiful city, nice weather, and fabulous school. They look late apps the year I applied, so you might want to try. PM me if you want more details...

yea, I just got my rejection letter from the Duke SMDEP. Maybe its because I am not from one of the underrepresented groups(Native American, African-American, Hispanic), I don't know.

Not to be nosey, but are you from one of the underrepresented groups?

Did you at least state that you had an interest in working in an underserved community?

That program has changed names several times over the past few years...it is an awesome program though.

Did any of you apply to the CASE SMDEP program? I did it a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. I think a lot of people paint a negative picture of Cleveland, but it is a beautiful city, nice weather, and fabulous school. They look late apps the year I applied, so you might want to try. PM me if you want more details...
Cleveland is a beautiful city with nice weather? There must be a Cleveland in California that I am not aware of

That program has changed names several times over the past few years...it is an awesome program though.

Did you participate? I just want to know what it's like.

No Astrife ::sigh:: I think you're confused. SMDEP isn't a med school. It's a summer program which the website says is for minorities. I don't know if its only for URM but its at Duke, Columbia, Yale and etc. I haven't applied for that program this year simply because I'm taking chem 2 in the summer so that I can start orgo in the fall. But yea anyways I'm applying in december for the summer 2008 program. So if you do decide to go to it can you please tell me what it's like. Someone I talked to said the one in Washington is really great. They flew him out and everything.

But yea anyways I'm applying in december for the summer 2008 program. So if you do decide to go to it can you please tell me what it's like. Someone I talked to said the one in Washington is really great. They flew him out and everything.

Are you asking me? I guess you can PM me after this summer. I'm definitely going there. By the way, Duke SMDEP also pays up to $300 for travel expenses. I think this thread is turning into a Duke SMDEP rejection thread for some reason.

I'm interested in applying to Duke SMDEP next year. How long did it take you to apply? Do you need a letter of recommendation from your professors or a pre-medical advisor?

No Astrife ::sigh:: I think you're confused. SMDEP isn't a med school. It's a summer program which the website says is for minorities. I don't know if its only for URM but its at Duke, Columbia, Yale and etc. I haven't applied for that program this year simply because I'm taking chem 2 in the summer so that I can start orgo in the fall. But yea anyways I'm applying in december for the summer 2008 program. So if you do decide to go to it can you please tell me what it's like. Someone I talked to said the one in Washington is really great. They flew him out and everything.

I know... I'm talking about SMDEP. I'm only a freshman in college.

I'm interested in applying to Duke SMDEP next year. How long did it take you to apply? Do you need a letter of recommendation from your professors or a pre-medical advisor?

Well... You have to write 2 essays plus another one if you think you're disadvantaged. For the disadvantaged people, they ask why you think you're disadvantaged. It took me 1 whole day to write the essays. You can get one rec from your premed advisor or you can get 2 recs from different profs. If you apply in December, you'll probably have a higher chance of getting in, but they won't let you know all the way until mid January. I had to call them many times to ask when my decision would be available.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I choose to get the letters of recommendation from the professors, do I have to get those from science ones (chemistry, etc.)?

If I choose to get the letters of recommendation from the professors, do I have to get those from science ones (chemistry, etc.)?

Well... they say u need 1 in ur major n I think the other has to be science or something. I had 2 science ones. Also, for some of the competitive places, they say it really helps to have a prof. say something like "this student really deserves to be in ur program." If u have more questions, you should just call them directly or look at the website smdep.org. I want someone to tell me how it was like for them, instead of me regurgitating what I know.

Did you participate? I just want to know what it's like.

I actually did participate in the summer program...but at different site. I did the Rice/Baylor Program...which at the time was hands down the best one for overall experience.

That site is no longer offered.

I was accepted my freshman year, but ended up not going. I realize what a stupid decision that was now, but whatever. Anyways, a friend went and said it was great... it will help you beast out in Physics/ Organic/ higher level BIo when you go back to school. You also get a chance to interact w. adcom members... which could never hurt anyone.

The Yale site is another VERY good one.

Another good program is the SEP program @ UNC. It's a lil' hard to get into if you're out of state, but they do accept OOS, and def. worth applying.

Cleveland is a beautiful city with nice weather? There must be a Cleveland in California that I am not aware of

Yes, weather was fantastic in the summer. And yes it snows in the winter, but where doesn't it up north??

I liked the city. When I think of a depressing city, there is the pitt, phili....but not Cleveland. I guess to each his own.

Anyone went to the Houston or NE one? how was that?

this might be a dumb question but, what's SMDEP? special medical something?

this might be a dumb question but, what's SMDEP? special medical something?

It's a summer program. go to www.smdep.org. The deadline is March 1st (I think) so, it might be better to apply next year if you're a freshman.

I got accepted to the Duke and UNMC program. Anyone have experiences at either one?

I hear Duke is a really good program. But UNMC is also, down side is that it's in NE :) But I'm from NE and I'm going to the UNMC one....

For the people who got in SMDEP: Could you explain your application; gpa-high, mid, low, URM or not URM, how well of an essay, etc.

I'd like to know because I didn't get in and am quite pissed.

Thanks

To all those who were accepted already, how long did it take them to reply back with a decision? I as swamped with work, during the app process, thus sent mine in the day it was due( i know, that's really stupid of me, but oh well). though I did have a killer Diversity essay...hmm, well see what happens.

For the people who got in SMDEP: Could you explain your application; gpa-high, mid, low, URM or not URM, how well of an essay, etc.

I'd like to know because I didn't get in and am quite pissed.

Thanks

I am only a 2nd semester freshman so I only have 1 semester of GPA's which were quite high. I am asian (vietnamese and chinese). I do believe that each site sets its own criteria for URM.

To all those who were accepted already, how long did it take them to reply back with a decision? I as swamped with work, during the app process, thus sent mine in the day it was due( i know, that's really stupid of me, but oh well). though I did have a killer Diversity essay...hmm, well see what happens.

My LOR's finally came through a week before march 1st and I got a reply from UNMC about a couple days and got an acceptance from UMC the feb 27. I got an acceptance from duke this last monday.

stony - which site are you going to attend?

crazyhands - 3.2 gpa, pretty good essays, no LOR, URM, accepted to 2 sites...

lightthecandle - i think they are required to give a decision within 10-15 days of when ur web app was submitted

so basically, if I'm not poor or am not a URM in sciences/medicine then I can't apply?

so basically, if I'm not poor or am not a URM in sciences/medicine then I can't apply?

lol where does it say anywhere that you have to be poor or URM? I have friends who are white, in the upper class income level with a 4.0 and got accepted to sites. Some sites aim towards URM, but all sites will consider anyone regardless of race, income, etc.

I'm comfortable ( in terms of finances, though definitely not "rich", and not "poor"), and I'm not an URM, and I'm not majoring in the Sciences and I was accepted to UNMC (which is where I'm headed!). I truly don't mean to say that to simply show off, put down others or sound condescending but I think the program it self has a general goal (amongst others) of encouraging those students who want to practice in urban and/or rural areas, where health-care so desperately needs a POSITIVE change. I feel like my personal statement pretty much sucked, besides the part that I mentioned I play a sport, yet in my diversity essay I mentioned that I really want to address and improve healthcare in urban areas, where I myself have seen first hand the various issues/complexities underserved populations have to go through. To those who didn't get in don't fret, apply next year if you still can ..and as early as possible...and If you've already got a stellar GPA/EC's/ ...and the whole package, make use of the summer and do something fun!..you're bound to get into Med School regardless!...I don't know..just my thoughts.

I'm comfortable ( in terms of finances, though definitely not "rich", and not "poor"), and I'm not an URM, and I'm not majoring in the Sciences and I was accepted to UNMC (which is where I'm headed!). I truly don't mean to say that to simply show off, put down others or sound condescending but I think the program it self has a general goal (amongst others) of encouraging those students who want to practice in urban and/or rural areas, where health-care so desperately needs a POSITIVE change. I feel like my personal statement pretty much sucked, besides the part that I mentioned I play a sport, yet in my diversity essay I mentioned that I really want to address and improve healthcare in urban areas, where I myself have seen first hand the various issues/complexities underserved populations have to go through. To those who didn't get in don't fret, apply next year if you still can ..and as early as possible...and If you've already got a stellar GPA/EC's/ ...and the whole package, make use of the summer and do something fun!..you're bound to get into Med School regardless!...I don't know..just my thoughts.

couldn't agree more!! see you @ UNMC :)

Hi! I know this thread is really old, but I just got accepted to UVA, Duke, and Louisville and I was wondering if anyone could provide any information about any of those sites...Im leaning towards Duke, but im not sure....Any info is appreciated.