Duke University SOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LRmed2003

BlueDevil turn'd TarHeel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
bwzup kiddios? soooo this thread is for those who are maybe/most likely/definitely going to Duke in the fall.

These are some of my questions:
are we required to get the dell laptop..i am seriously considering buying an iBook or PowerBook..apple is the wave of the past..and future...when i went to the duke computing website (http://www.dukestores.duke.edu/compstore/computer_hardware.html)though, they have links for IBM, Dell, Apple, and then Duke University Health System which describes a Dell Latitude notebook as the only laptop available...thoughts anyone??

also housing..to roommate or not to roomate??

anyone applying for the primary care program??

post your questions/answers/ideas in this thread... :thumbup:

~L

Members don't see this ad.

also waiting to hear on financial aid..i talked to them on thursday and they said things should be mailed out in a few weeks..like end of march/early may..which is when most schools, i think, start assigning financial aid $$...i hope i get a good package ..man i hate loans. :(

LRmed2003 said:
also waiting to hear on financial aid..i talked to them on thursday and they said things should be mailed out in a few weeks..like end of march/early may..which is when most schools, i think, start assigning financial aid $$...i hope i get a good package ..man i hate loans. :(

I was stuyding last night when I received an e-mail from my roommate that I had a financial aid letter from Duke. I raced home to find out that it was a routine reminder to complete the FAFSA and such nonsense. I was pissed! Here I was hoping it was "the" financial aid letter

Members don't see this ad :)
lol..true true..i got a letter from another school telling me to fill out a FAFSA correction...the thing i had to correct was to enter a "0" for net investment worth...i had left it blank assuming blank =0, but i guess not...soo frustrating all this is...

LRmed2003 said:
These are some of my questions:
are we required to get the dell laptop..

I haven't heard a definitive answer as to whether or not the laptop program will continue this year. For my class, '06, it was optional, then for '07 it was required, but since then one of the main organizers of the program has been seriously ill. So last I heard, the fate of the program was uncertain. I'm actually not sure what ended up happening with the class of '08...I thought they were once again able to get outside laptops if they wanted, but I'm not sure. In my class, that meant some people just used their computers from college, and it worked out fine (which means they saved some major $$$).

People in my class who got the Duke Dell laptops have actually had lots of trouble with them. But as a result of complaining, the '07 crew got WAY better laptops...significantly upgraded, seemingly less prone to breaking down, etc. One of the advantages of having everyone get the same computer is standardization...it's easy for them to ensure compatibility with the various software packages you'll use as a first year, and also with things like streaming video and the course webpages. Plus, you get really great tech support with the package, and if your laptop breaks they give you a loaner until they can get yours fixed, so you'll never be without a computer. Although, everyone looked kinda stupid walking around with the same exact backpacks (they were part of the package)

I know the price has seem rather inflated in the past, but when you consider that it includes all the software, the tech support and loaner program, AND it's included in the financial aid package, it's really not so bad.

About getting an Apple...I don't know if you'd be able to even run some of the software, like the cross sectional anatomy program, or the histology CD. As things have changed curriculum-wise though, it's probably best to get some info from a current first year. DukeDoc08, are you here somewhere? Can you give us some updates on the laptop issue, and what software, etc. you've been using this year?

[QUOTE/]Although, everyone looked kinda stupid walking around with the same exact backpacks (they were part of the package)

I know the price has seem rather inflated in the past, but when you consider that it includes all the software, the tech support and loaner program, AND it's included in the financial aid package, it's really not so bad.

About getting an Apple...I don't know if you'd be able to even run some of the software, like the cross sectional anatomy program, or the histology CD. As things have changed curriculum-wise though, it's probably best to get some info from a current first year. DukeDoc08, are you here somewhere? Can you give us some updates on the laptop issue, and what software, etc. you've been using this year?[/QUOTE]

hmm..but i want an apple sooooooooooooooooo bad...lol..i remember seeing those backpacks like dang..this is strange..then i figured out that they all had the same computer and i was like..oh okay..cool.. the laptops seemed awesome, but dell doesn't have a good track record. they break down and their value depreciates as soon as you buy them.. at least apples hold their value a little bit better..

~L

bump from the 4th page kids!

There seems to be a lot of resistance towards leaving the Countdown page. Either that or people are just getting excited for Harvard, Yale, Penn, etc.

tru true...sad though..on the other 'official' entering class pages, folks seem more interested, enthused, etc.. and people actually visit the pages...hope this is not indicative of the spirit of the incoming class.

Hey future Blue Devils,

Just wondering who is planning to attend the second look weekend in April. I just registered, so I hope to see you there.

each of you are my god. congrats and gl with the nanaline schollie thing.

Hi, I am enthusiastic LRmed! I was just off being enthusiastic all over town last weekend rather than on my computer!

I am going to second look and I am pretty sure I will be at Duke next year. YES!

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto ditto ditto...see ya soon!!!

I have not registered yet, but I will most likely be there. Anyone else?

I want to congratulate everyone who was accepted (also to those who are waitlisted and even to those who interviewed)!!!! From what I have heard, this has been one of the best or the best applicant pools to Duke. The numbers are going to be sky high and the people should be unbelievable. We were talking the other day about how if we had applied this year a lot of us would not have gotten in!!!
Have fun at 2nd look! Let me know if you have any questions about the new and improved curriculum...we are working out all of the bugs for you guys!!
Enjoy the rest of the year and summer....you will be hitting the ground running as soon as you show up to Duke!!
Also, I want to put a MAJOR plug in for the retreat (campout) thing...it is A LOT of fun and you make a lot of friends right off the bat and have people to sit with during orientation!

registered yesterday for second look..will most definitely be there..can't wait to see your smiley sunny faces :D

I registered following the link for the email. Of course, it registered me for the second look for 2002 :confused: Did that happen to anyone else? :laugh:

hey nubian..

it happened to me too.. i'm assuming it happens to everyone..they must have some kind of glitch or sthn...

I haven't heard back from Duke post interview yet...so I don't know if I've been waitlisted or rejected.

It's kinda of funny, though :laugh: b/c I really don't care anymore. :)

Has anyone contacted the Office of Financial Aid or received any mail from them regarding a financial aid package? I have heard nothing, but I guess it would help to give them a call. :thumbup:

clayito said:
Has anyone contacted the Office of Financial Aid or received any mail from them regarding a financial aid package? I have heard nothing, but I guess it would help to give them a call. :thumbup:
There was some sort of small envelope they sent... no packages yet, as far as I know.

i called a few weeks ago to ask a question they said we should start hearing about packages around the 1st week in april.

LRmed2003 said:
i called a few weeks ago to ask a question they said we should start hearing about packages around the 1st week in april.

Maybe during second look they'll draw someone's name out of a hat for a full ride ;). That'd be nice wouldn't it?

sure would..maybe i should call ahead and put a few extra entries in the hat...lol..come on duke, show me the $$

to those going to second look-

Are you staying with a student host?
If so, how many nights are you staying with (or are we welcome to stay with) the student host?

thanks much :D

trying to stay with a student host for thurs, fri, and sat. nights,,but how do we know who our host is??

~L

LR
I have no idea ! Maybe they will contact us with that info?

I want to stay with a host for at least 2 nights. I am going down there thursday through sunday nights to really get a good feel for the place. Although I am pretty sure that I am headed there!

anyone excited about duke? i hope 2nd look week is amazing b/c i was so impressed at baylor...the students were the absolute best!!! come on duke!! :)

Hey all,

Very excited about Duke. I received a call from a current student "cold." It was pretty nice. I'm assuming everyone received such a call. She stayed on the phone to answer all of my questions about the school. I'm actually mostly excited because I interviewed regionally. The agenda for the place the weekend seems pretty cool....Hey maybe Duke and UNC will make the final four..it'll be that Saturday. That would be fantastic!! Well, I look forward to seeing the bulk of you down in a couple of weeks. Still deciding amongst a few schools, but Duke seems pretty cool...Anyone deciding between Duke and HMS..give a shout out...trying to wrap my head around this whole thing.

Thanks.

CONGRATS on your acceptances to Duke everybody! As for second lookers (you did the right thing by coming down!!), your student housing assignments are currently in the "final" stages of being decided...expect an email in the next couple of days!

Hope to see you soon!

chlorineK said:
LR
I have no idea ! Maybe they will contact us with that info?

I want to stay with a host for at least 2 nights. I am going down there thursday through sunday nights to really get a good feel for the place. Although I am pretty sure that I am headed there!

Bumping to see who's going to Second Look next weekend. I'm going, but i'm arriving Friday night so I won't get introduced to anyone :( C'mon who's gonna be there and be my buddy at the party?

Hey Nubian,

I'll be around to talk to and hopefully make the transition easier...Are you arriving in time for the dinner? Also, I'm sure the people there will go out of their way to make you feel at home....

Peace

NubianPrincess said:
Bumping to see who's going to Second Look next weekend. I'm going, but i'm arriving Friday night so I won't get introduced to anyone :( C'mon who's gonna be there and be my buddy at the party?

I am going! I am also quite a friendly girl, so I will be sure to come chat with you when you get in...

Thanks, aeneid! I wish I could make it in time for the dinner because I was looking forward to it the most. But at this rate I'll just be making the tail end of it. Oh well, i'm still looking forward to next weekend :D

chlorineK said:
I am going! I am also quite a friendly girl, so I will be sure to come chat with you when you get in...
Looking forward to it ;)

mos' def' looking forward to meeting everyone..the party on friday is supposed to be pretty cool.. i am arriving on thursday night...anyone hear anything about a host yet?

so this is what is posted on the dukemed account log-in site...

"We will make every effort to contact recipients of mert-based awards before Second Look Weekend. There is no guarantee that the admissions committee will have completed its evaluations for merit based funding by Second Look but this is our goal. Please do not telephone the admissions office OR the financial aid office staff. They will not have any information to give you regarding MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS until recipients have been selected by the Executive Committee."

whenever, if ever, anyone hears anything about a scholarship, even if you get one and don't want to say you did and so you make up a story about how a friend got it...please post...this financial aid thing is going to be a MAJOR role player in determining where i go to school,.... ;)

LRmed2003 said:
so this is what is posted on the dukemed account log-in site...

"We will make every effort to contact recipients of mert-based awards before Second Look Weekend. There is no guarantee that the admissions committee will have completed its evaluations for merit based funding by Second Look but this is our goal. Please do not telephone the admissions office OR the financial aid office staff. They will not have any information to give you regarding MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS until recipients have been selected by the Executive Committee."

whenever, if ever, anyone hears anything about a scholarship, even if you get one and don't want to say you did and so you make up a story about how a friend got it...please post...this financial aid thing is going to be a MAJOR role player in determining where i go to school,.... ;)

are there only 4 merit-based awards (Nanaline Duke SCH) for non-URMs?

hey duke people,

i'm also excited about 2nd look!!! it's gonna be fun to meet all of you and see the med school in a more relaxed atmosphere. i'm kinda shy at first, so don't expect me to start any conversations ;) j/k. here's to hoping there will be a duke-unc national semi-final bb game for us to watch on saturday evening. go duke!!!

bumpety bump...it's officially duke or baylor for me.. got my rejection from Harvard finally this morning via email, since the US postal service lost my snail mail one..but hey...i am soooooooooo excited for 2nd look and can't wait to meet everyone.. :D :D :D

70-66, less than 2 min.

c'mon, dukies!

(everyone hates me now for shifting allegiance to another ACC school)

So I am not going to Duke.... but you lost tonight! GO BIG TEN!! :D

nimer1456 said:
So I am not going to Duke.... but you lost tonight! GO BIG TEN!! :D

How cruel. How terribly unpleasant. How hideously dirty. How unbecomingly shameful. How pathetically awful. How simply mean. You don't deserve to go to Duke, anyway. And don't you be talking bad about my mama!

GuyLaroche said:
How cruel. How terribly unpleasant. How hideously dirty. How unbecomingly shameful. How pathetically awful. How simply mean. You don't deserve to go to Duke, anyway. And don't you be talking bad about my mama!

*Single tear.* Duke was my first choice :p

Go Illini!

hmm..come on duke..you were my hope, my dream..still nursing this acceptance though.. AGH!!! i'm torn..headed to durham on thursday night and hope all goes well.. it all comes down to this.. let's have a grand ol' time!!! guy..vandy or duke's wknd? where u gonna be?

~L

Has anyone received any of the Nan Duke scholarships or any dean's awards? If so, let us know. :)