Duke vs. Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymau5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this is another dumb thread and normally I would respond to dumb questions like this with "go with your gut" or "get drunk, close your eyes, and then go with your gut" or "you literally can't go wrong" but I'm curious if there's either med students or residents out there with more insight into these programs since I'm not super familiar with them. Skip over the difference in Baltimore vs. Durham, I figured that one out already.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Both of these programs are very similar- more alike than different. Top cardiac, pain, ICU at both. Peds edge to Hopkins. Both programs have a ton of fellows (with all the good/bad that entails). 2 big differences strike me after interviewing at both- regional and didactic strength. Regional strength definitely goes to Duke - I remember them saying that residents routinely get over 200 regional blocks vs Hopkins would get like 100-150 (after taking max amount of regional electives including HSS). As far as didactics, huge advantage to Hopkins. Dedicated/protected entire day ("College Days") every other Thursday where you have structured lectures, group learning, anatomy lab, simulation, etc. Duke had 1-2 hours a week of lecture from 5-6pm. Another small difference- Duke is primarily categorical while Hopkins is advanced only.

In reality, these differences are pretty minimal and you'll be a rockstar anesthesiologist graduating from either one. Best of luck in your decision! ...and maybe we'll be classmates at one of these places ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Must be tough deciding between the BMW or Mercedes? Maybe, you have Audi in there as well? Don't fret either way you end up with a nice ride.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not fretting, i realize my clinical training will be superb at both / wherever i end up even if not these 2 but I'm also a firm believer in residency being much more than just a clinical experience. I'm more interested in the morale/spirit at the program, the collegiality, perhaps how much the PD <3s you though I know that can be irrelevant. I would be a single lady transplant from a big northern city. Life is too short to be caring about your f*cking epidural numbers.

Duke resident here - our morale is very high. We are extremely supportive of each other, which has made a huge difference in my resident experience and I have told applicants how important this is too. I had no idea how collegial it was here so feel very fortunate to be here in this environment. We also have a very non malignant work relationship with our crnas. Also our pd is amazing and supportive. We recently also had young faculty start a Duke Women in Anesthesiology group to support women as they go through residency and young faculty. Balancing family etc as pursuing academics. I hope you also were able to learn about the Triangle. Hands down, I don't have a single classmate who doesn't like it here. Not to mention there is huge internal retention for fellowship and work after residency bc people love living here and love Duke. Hope this helps.

We also have a ton of people from the Midwest and NE in our program fwiw. Most are very happy to no longer shovel snow often.

Duke and Hopkins are excellent programs. I strongly favor the South and Duke is the Premier Program in the South. Both have strong National Reputations so the choice won't matter as far as name recognition. I much prefer Durham over Baltimore as a location but that is just me.