dumbest answer to a PGY1 Interview question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we work through our PGY1 residency candidates we have heard some doozies - what is your worst answer that you have heard?

Members don't see this ad.

Q - tell us about a mistake you made, and what you learned from it?

A - "I don't dwell on my mistakes."

Q - tell us about a mistake you made, and what you learned from it?

A - "I don't dwell on my mistakes."
we had somebody tell us they never made a mistake.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Q: "How did you react when you got that C?" (Lowest grade on my transcript)
A: "I was happy because technically I should have failed the class."
*facepalm*

^^ This one ^^

Reactions: 5 users
we had somebody tell us they never made a mistake.

Not a PGY-1 interview, but I once had someone tell me that they had no weaknesses (which wasn't even the original question in the first place). And they were actually serious when they said it.

Wow, didn't know this was such a common occurrence.

At least you can trust them to be honest with you. Between this guy and the "I've never made a mistake" dude, who do you pick?
That guy was me, so they obviously took the other dude.

Reactions: 1 users
We had a doozy today - when asked how they communicate with others they said they like to be passive aggressive - (they thought that was a good thing??) - then responded with an example that was 100% passive aggressive - they left a note on a co-workers locker to confront them about something

Reactions: 3 users
Makes me feel a little better about residency if these are the people I'm potentially competing against haha.

For the "discuss a time you had a conflict with a co-worker" type question....we had a candidate talk about a physical altercation with another pharmacy technician...

That was an automatic no...

I told my interviewers exactly how I prepare my tasks... I beak it down to individual milestone/steps and leave 20% margin for error/variance every step, to 3 steps ahead. This way I would have at max 6.125% probability of failure at max statistically, almost statically non-significant, but more importantly, since each step I have 50:50 chance of over vs under budget, I will accomplish my goals barring fate is against me.

Guess what, I played the Asian stereotype to my max advantage even though it is exactly how I planned and operated. I got my number once choice and my advancement. What I've seem is that as soon as you whip out irrefutable facts and data, the opposition caves because they don't have squat (because the lazy bums haven't done their homework), leaving you to sweet talk or plow your way through. Leaving you to claim victory in tens big cost savings. Not only other hospitals try to follow through, you just looked like a million bucks. Fair enough to me... as a part the overall goal.

Do not use my exact goals during interview or you might get called out by the same analysis. Did I just say anal? Have at least one reputable article behind your position so you have an (exit) plausible deniability. Having 20+ facilities and decision in your hands is worth it. Keep you ethics about you, make decisions that affect thousands or more...

Last edited:
I told my interviewers exactly how I prepare my tasks... I beak it down to individual milestone/steps and leave 20% margin for error/variance every step, to 3 steps ahead. This way I would have at max 6.125% probability of failure at max statistically, almost statically non-significant, but more importantly, since each step I have 50:50 chance of over vs under budget, I will accomplish my goals barring fate is against me.

Guess what, I played the Asian stereotype to my max advantage even though it is exactly how I planned and operated. I got my number once choice and my advancement. What I've seem is that as soon as you whip out irrefutable facts and data, the opposition caves because they don't have squat (because the lazy bums haven't done their homework), leaving you to sweet talk or plow your way through. Leaving you to claim victory in tens big cost savings. Not only other hospitals try to follow through, you just looked like a million bucks. Fair enough to me... as a part the overall goal.

Do not use my exact goals during interview or you might get called out by the same analysis. Did I just say anal? Have at least one reputable article behind your position so you have an (exit) plausible deniability. Having 20+ facilities and decision in your hands is worth it. Keep you ethics about you, make decisions that affect thousands or more...
If you said this as a resident candidate I would think you were full of BS and cocky and put you at the bottom of my list because it sounds like you are blowing smoke up our butt. If you could give me exact examples, then we have something,

Reactions: 1 user
What's the most recent book you've read?
-> "The newest Percy Jackson book" :scared:

I didn't plan it well at all, the last book in the series came out in October and I didn't have time to read it until Christmas break lol

What's the most recent book you've read?
-> "The newest Percy Jackson book" :scared:

I didn't plan it well at all, the last book in the series came out in October and I didn't have time to read it until Christmas break lol

I love this question, especially when people answer it honestly with a trashy paperback or something.

I love this question, especially when people answer it honestly with a trashy paperback or something.
"Goodman and Gilman's cover to cover"

If you said this as a resident candidate I would think you were full of BS and cocky and put you at the bottom of my list because it sounds like you are blowing smoke up our butt. If you could give me exact examples, then we have something,
I'd just be pissed that he treats statistical significance as a gradient and not a binary.

An interviewer told me that he didn't believe my CV showing 3 patents, so then he looked it up, and yep they had my name on them.. I had been working, studying, planning and getting my ducks in a row using the method I described since undergrad. So when there is enough concrete merits in your portfolio, they speak for themselves and people can see that you have what it takes. I matched first choice. Was the only resident offered a job there. I took a risk taking a pharmacy manager job right out of residency. Earned my promotion to DOP. I know I've got above average skills and vision, and my career still have 20+ years ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user