During dental school, did you have a "mock" WREB exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Utdarsenal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I suppose this doesn't necessarily fit into the state licensure category because this is during dental school.

Anyways, I was wondering if during dental school, did your school set up a mock WREB exam (a simulation of the actual exam, with you having to find your patients/faculty doctors grading your treatments, etc.)?

I'm curious because my school recently started making these mock exams, but, they've been failing students and actually making the students pay to re-do their failed parts (they're considering it as if you failed a class). I'm wondering if this is even ethical, considering these doctors are not WREB certified, but, supposedly they're grading by WREB standards.

This is basically the last task you have to accomplish before the school "lets you go" and says you're officialy done with everything. Last semester about 10 people did it, and 9 of them were failed in certain areas, thus them having to go pay to retake their part.

I think it's really weird, considering they're failing students for something which is not even the actual exam. I think it's cool they want us to learn how the exam is, but I don't think it's right for them to be failing students and earning more money based on these students having to re-take what is supposed to be a "mock" exam.

Do other dental schools make this mock WREB exam as well, and are they failing students and holding them back because of it?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We had mock WREB exams in dental school but you didn't have to retake if you failed. It was just exposure to what it would be like during the actual exam and was considered a learning experience.

Hey there, I suppose this doesn't necessarily fit into the state licensure category because this is during dental school.

Anyways, I was wondering if during dental school, did your school set up a mock WREB exam (a simulation of the actual exam, with you having to find your patients/faculty doctors grading your treatments, etc.)?

I'm curious because my school recently started making these mock exams, but, they've been failing students and actually making the students pay to re-do their failed parts (they're considering it as if you failed a class). I'm wondering if this is even ethical, considering these doctors are not WREB certified, but, supposedly they're grading by WREB standards.

This is basically the last task you have to accomplish before the school "lets you go" and says you're officialy done with everything. Last semester about 10 people did it, and 9 of them were failed in certain areas, thus them having to go pay to retake their part.

I think it's really weird, considering they're failing students for something which is not even the actual exam. I think it's cool they want us to learn how the exam is, but I don't think it's right for them to be failing students and earning more money based on these students having to re-take what is supposed to be a "mock" exam.

Do other dental schools make this mock WREB exam as well, and are they failing students and holding them back because of it?

Thanks.

Nova didn't have a mock WREB exam, but they did have a mock NERB exam/ competency. It's to make sure that you are competent enough to practice on patients for those specific procedures. Dental schools can virtually fail you for anything they want. I haven't heard of anyone failing and forcing you to retake at Nova though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. UT-Houston offers a mock exam during the spring of your 4th year. They try their best to grade it as similar to WREB as possible. Its nice to work out the kinks, and notice issues that could be potential pitfalls, and get your nerves down. And yes, we did have to redo portions that we failed. Or if you just couldnt find a patient in time, you could take that portion at a later date. It was a stressful time, but useful.

The criteria for grading the WREBS or the CDCA are not that difficult, but the exam can be complicated and a mock run through is always a good idea. Some of your faculty are probably examiners. Ask around. They are a good resource.

We had mock clinical exams that were run like the real wreb/ nerb... There was no fee at all and it was optional if u wanted to take part in it... sounds like ur school is just collecting $