During interview, admit to being a fan of american football?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of american football, and I could easily end up talking about it during an interview. However, I'm worried that this might make me look bad since:
  1. High injury rate
  2. Many people hate football (i.e. b/c it's dangerous, violent, or just b/c they don't understand it).
Is this a legitimate concern? Might the adcoms look down on the fact that I'm a fan of this sport?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Miami's secondary asks about interest in sports and I talked about my love for football. You're thinking about it too much.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just be yourself! And read the room. I got into a convo about sports with one of my interviewers but I know some of them probably wouldn't have been interested. As long as you don't talk about soccer you'll be alright ;)

Not sure if serious....
When academia obsesses over trivialities like microaggressions and safe spaces, a man learns that he must tread carefully.

Rooting for a team that's sticking with Kaepernick as their QB might show poor judgement.

Reactions: 12 users
You could use being a Cleveland Browns fan in an overcoming a hardship question...

Reactions: 20 users
Honestly as a 9ers fan right now you have a great essay about coping with loss just waiting to be written.

Reactions: 2 users
If it weren't for football, I probably would not have spent hours upon hours reading about concussions and other topics related to neurological health. In fact, Dr. Ann McKee, one of the more prominent concussion researchers in the country, is a huge Packers fan.

During interviews, you can certainly use football as a springboard for health related discussions.

Yeesh what is the deal with SDN today? Hunting, enjoying football, and being "privileged" are all perfectly fine things that no adcom member who isn't a worthless loser would hold against you.

Reactions: 6 users
When academia obsesses over trivialities like microaggressions and safe spaces, a man learns that he must tread carefully.
Your persecution complex is showing

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many academic centers care for the local sports teams, rather than boycott them. You'd be hard pressed not to find at least some local sports fans on any faculty. Many faculty might not want their own kids to play football but still regularly watch the games, so there's some hypocrisy afoot.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, did you actual think liking the most popular sport in America would work against you? We'd have hardly any doctors if that was the case!

Another one for Gonnifs megathread.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, no. Maybe if you are the media and need a story, you make it out to be that way....

Adcoms are people. Many people in the US like football, many physicians like football.

I'd reject you for having such a dumb - ass concern.

I'm a huge fan of american football, and I could easily end up talking about it during an interview. However, I'm worried that this might make me look bad since:
  1. High injury rate
  2. Many people hate football (i.e. b/c it's dangerous, violent, or just b/c they don't understand it).
Is this a legitimate concern? Might the adcoms look down on the fact that I'm a fan of this sport?

Reactions: 18 users
I've watched myself and @Goro become progressively saltier as the season has gone on

We don't mean to be this mean. Spend like an hour every day on SDN lurking with the search function, as though it is studying for your future career (it is!). Look at the current threads. Look past the first page.

On pain of us humiliating you, search search search, and only when you are truly desperate, and convinced your question cannot be addressed without the personal attention of a physician, should you start a thread

All of the above, is very good training for how to think like us, get along with us, and problem solve like us

Also, you can PM members who seem to know what they are talking about with your questions (phone a friend, aka curbside a peer, time honored tradition to save each other from humiliation!)

I know we seem like these bizarre unicorns that will bolt at the slightest Millennial microaggression, but our skins are thicker than that
It's true adcoms are nitpicky.

Just read the post histories of the adcoms on here to get a flavor of their thoughts. There's thousands of posts spanning years.

Last edited:
If you call it american football, you're obviously not that big of a fan.

This statement might be precisely why self-identifying as a football fan could leave a bad impression.

One of my interviewers was from the same undergrad as me and we spent a good five minutes talking football at our school and sharing our mutual passion for the sport... You're being way too paranoid about it.

Then again, this interview did take place in Texas...

I'd reject you for having such a dumb - ass concern.
burn_zps28a042ca.jpg

1. High injury rate

#NinersEmpire
#hateJedYork
#HateTrentBaalke
#MissPWillis :(
#MissJimHarbaugh
#Don'tMissKyleWilliams

Nahh dude your fine. I think I will talk about it if interviewer asks me about hobbies other than volunteering. Good luck :)