$ during residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marcy C.

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if one gets paid during their residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, residents are paid. The amount really depends on the region, but the salary range is roughly $35,000-$50,000.

Salary is more like around 37k for PGY1 depending on the region.

Members don't see this ad :)
Geeez! I just posted the "official" salary thread today elsewhere, as reported by the AAMC. :D Check it out.

The range I listed was meant for all residents, not just interns. However, <a href="http://www.nyudh.med.nyu.edu/resopps/med5.htm" target="_blank">NYU-Downtown Hospital</a> offers first year residents a salary approaching $50,000 per year.

The higher salaries tend to be in the expensive cities, i.e. New York City and Boston have the highest resident salaries I've heard about, $42K-50K starting. Interestingly, San Francisco has very mediocre salaries (~$36k) despite being just about the most expensive city in the US.

However, before getting jealous, by the "Cost of Living" calculator I found on the web somewhere, my Boston $42k is equal to $28k in my old home in Gainesville, FL. Don't underestimate your lifestyle as a resident!

Although bigger cities on the east coast tend to have higher salaries (some in NY starting at 45K), the west coast salaries, even in SF and LA, are lower than average. I have friends in LA and Portland starting at 34K.

There is also unexplained variablitity within a region. Most residencies is Wisconsin earn 39-42K to start, even though cost of living isn't that expensive. Most programs 100 miles away in Chicago earn 35K-37K to start. Not a huge difference, but bigger when cost of living is considered.