Dvm/PhD Interviews-What to expect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Njnealon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I have two interviews for DVM/PhD programs.... one at Colorado State, and the other at UC Davis...

I have been preparing for the DVM portion of the interview, but am curious how I should prepare for the combined degree interviews. I'm assuming it will talk about my past research experiences, my current research interests, potential projects, etc, but just curious if anyone has any advice or opinions on this! Especially if anyone reading this is either preparing for one themsevles or has been through it already. If so, how did you prepare?

I really appreciate it and thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure Foxhunter will stop by and give you some solid advice in a little bit. I interviewed for but was not ultimately accepted for any combined programs but I'll make a few comments. You're on the mark regarding the topics you'll be discussing. Basically, you will be making the case that you understand how your research ambitions pair with your veterinary ambitions and that you have the intellectual firepower/motivation to make these ambitions a reality. In particular, expect very guided questions about your research projects as your ability to answer those questions and explain your contributions to the process are fundamental to proving you are ready to further the process of becoming an independent scientist. The last point to add is that you will be compared against a very select group of talented individuals all vying for a limited number of funded programs; realize that 'fit' within a program is also important beyond just comparing CVs so if you can show that a particular lab caters to your future interests and/or you can make a strong impression on a faculty member that can go a long way.

Hope that helped some. Remember to relax and have fun too. You get to toot your own horn a bit :D

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much!! I really do Appreciate the advice. Either way ill just try to enjoy the experience and be great full that I got to travel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I did forget to mention getting accommodations and some pretty nice meals paid for is an upside, and invariably one of the current students will offer to take you out for a beer if they can. There goes your NCAA eligibility :whistle:

Haha that's what the colorado invitation said. I was telling my parents how excited I was for the opportunity, and they were more fixated on how I got a flight and free food :p

And free beer sounds great (maybe wine if in in Davis)

Hey Njnealon, I got a CSU interview lined up as well! I was going to as the same thing, until I saw your post :p

Congrats!!! Are you going January 17th too? :)

I did not apply to Colorado, but I have a VSTP interview at Davis as well! I'm interviewing December 12. Honestly, I am far more worried about the MMI than the VSTP interview. I think the various essays we have been required to write for this process have prepared us pretty well! When's your interview?

Hey guys PM me. I'm a DVM/PhD student at NCSU. I interviewed at Cornell, CSU, and NCSU. My best friend/partner in crime here interviewed at Davis, CSU, Georgia, and Missouri (i think). I'll let ya'll get in touch with her too. I have finals today and tomorrow, but after that I'm just shadowing in orthopedic surgery for two weeks so should have down time to give some help.

I interviewed (and was accepted) into a DVM/PhD program at Mississippi State. I don't know how much more I can say that Bismarck didn't mention. The point about making sure you are a "fit" for the program is especially important. I'm sure that one of the reasons I got in was because I made a very strong impression on one of the faculty members that interviewed me since I have interests and knew people in his area of research.

I did not apply to Colorado, but I have a VSTP interview at Davis as well! I'm interviewing December 12. Honestly, I am far more worried about the MMI than the VSTP interview. I think the various essays we have been required to write for this process have prepared us pretty well! When's your interview?

I'm also interviewing the 12th! See you there!! :) Can't believe it is only a few days away!

Good luck on y'all's interviews. Hope my friend gave decent info.

Hey guys PM me. I'm a DVM/PhD student at NCSU. I interviewed at Cornell, CSU, and NCSU. My best friend/partner in crime here interviewed at Davis, CSU, Georgia, and Missouri (i think). I'll let ya'll get in touch with her too. I have finals today and tomorrow, but after that I'm just shadowing in orthopedic surgery for two weeks so should have down time to give some help.

About when did you find out about the interview from Cornell? I just got accepted into the DVM program (so excited) and I'm unclear as to when I'll find out about the PhD portion.

Members don't see this ad :)
About when did you find out about the interview from Cornell? I just got accepted into the DVM program (so excited) and I'm unclear as to when I'll find out about the PhD portion.

I got a call at the same time.

When did you hear back from the combined degree program at ncsu? No one had even heard back from the dvm program yet either

I received an email from Cornell's combined program yesterday inviting me to interview- it said they are bringing 4 students to interview for 2 spots. They may wait to send all decisions until they receive RSVPs? Did anyone else hear from cornell?

When did you hear back from the combined degree program at ncsu? No one had even heard back from the dvm program yet either
Late January/Early February We were all notified of interviews at different times. Interviews are always obnoxiously close to Valentines Day

I received an email from Cornell's combined program yesterday inviting me to interview- it said they are bringing 4 students to interview for 2 spots. They may wait to send all decisions until they receive RSVPs? Did anyone else hear from cornell?
They said this to me, too, then last minute decided to only take one when I was next on wait-list. They interviewed 8 my year though... Definitely not bitter. Ok maybe a little, everything worked out for the best for me though.

Late January/Early February We were all notified of interviews at different times. Interviews are always obnoxiously close to Valentines Day

Okay thank you very much! And were you notified separately from the dvm program before getting this interview?

Okay thank you very much! And were you notified separately from the dvm program before getting this interview?
No but they're very weird. I'll PM you about it when I get a chance

At a bar right now. Oops.

They said this to me, too, then last minute decided to only take one when I was next on wait-list. They interviewed 8 my year though... Definitely not bitter. Ok maybe a little, everything worked out for the best for me though.
Good to know about the "spots" available. I just received the news that I was accepted into Davis' combined program (!), have you by chance heard any comparisons between Davis, NC State, and Cornell (the three I've applied to). Obviously funding is a huge factor and Davis is fully funded with stipend... so as a current DVM/PhD should it be an obvious choice?

Good to know about the "spots" available. I just received the news that I was accepted into Davis' combined program (!), have you by chance heard any comparisons between Davis, NC State, and Cornell (the three I've applied to). Obviously funding is a huge factor and Davis is fully funded with stipend... so as a current DVM/PhD should it be an obvious choice?

Congratulations! Unless some researcher completely grabs you somewhere else, I would go with funding. I'm almost certain our funding situation has changed for the worse since I started the program (good thing my contract locked me in to the old program.

Congratulations! Unless some researcher completely grabs you somewhere else, I would go with funding. I'm almost certain our funding situation has changed for the worse since I started the program (good thing my contract locked me in to the old program.

Thank you! I guess that is the beauty of the contracts (though a little intimidating).

Thank you! I guess that is the beauty of the contracts (though a little intimidating).
Super intimidating. So weird knowing where I'll be til I'm 30 or so ... Def go to all the interviews and at least see where you get offers! (Gotta love FREE interviews!!!) Also, I would consider which is closest to home (if family and such is important to you. lol.)

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious if anyone heard from ncsu and their dual degree program yet. I know the admissions email from the dvm program said they were behind this year, but would combined degree applicants have heard separately by now? Just curious, because I have a dual degree offer I am seriously considering at the moment, but at the same time would still like word back from ncsu. My other plan would be to call admissions this week and maybe they could help?

Thanks!! :)

Just curious if anyone heard from ncsu and their dual degree program yet. I know the admissions email from the dvm program said they were behind this year, but would combined degree applicants have heard separately by now? Just curious, because I have a dual degree offer I am seriously considering at the moment, but at the same time would still like word back from ncsu. My other plan would be to call admissions this week and maybe they could help?

Thanks!! :)

Not a peep yet! I don't think NC State covers DVM tuition completely though (correct me if I'm wrong), which could help with the decision?

Not a peep yet! I don't think NC State covers DVM tuition completely though (correct me if I'm wrong), which could help with the decision?
Didn't I mention that? I think it switched. I'm fully covered as are all years prior, but this year the funding was drastically cut so they couldn't do the same thing. After this year we have to pay our own health insurance and student fees (about $1000 a year), we were giving our adviser crap about it and he was like "Ya'll have no idea how hard I fought to keep your tuition." We shut up pretty quickly

Didn't I mention that? I think it switched. I'm fully covered as are all years prior, but this year the funding was drastically cut so they couldn't do the same thing. After this year we have to pay our own health insurance and student fees (about $1000 a year), we were giving our adviser crap about it and he was like "Ya'll have no idea how hard I fought to keep your tuition." We shut up pretty quickly

That's really too bad. Funding is getting tight everywhere. NC State was one of my top picks, but I can't justify taking out loans when I have funded offers elsewhere... :(

That's really too bad. Funding is getting tight everywhere. NC State was one of my top picks, but I can't justify taking out loans when I have funded offers elsewhere... :(
I would still wait to hear. Funding changes year to year. Wouldn't count on it though.

Anyone interviewing here? It's thursday and friday!

I decided to withdraw my application :( I'm really busy this month, and realistically need to go to Davis or (if I get in) Cornell, since I have the option of being debt-free. It's a bummer I wont get to meet you though- you have been so helpful!

I decided to withdraw my application :( I'm really busy this month, and realistically need to go to Davis or (if I get in) Cornell, since I have the option of being debt-free. It's a bummer I wont get to meet you though- you have been so helpful!

Good decision. I know we're interviewing one second year and one undergrad who works in my best friend's lab. I don't know if there's anyone else.

I withdrew my application too :(
For me it's colorado versus penn right now because of funding. But I truly do appreciate your advice all along, thank you!!

I will be interviewing on Tuesday for NC State DVM/PhD Combined! The original interview for Thursday/Friday was cancelled due to weather. Would you have time to answer a few questions I have? It would be greatly appreciated :)

I will be interviewing on Tuesday for NC State DVM/PhD Combined! The original interview for Thursday/Friday was cancelled due to weather. Would you have time to answer a few questions I have? It would be greatly appreciated :)

Pm me

Also more general advice be yourself, know your research, and be able to explain WHY a dual degree vs. each separately. Most importantly, have fun, and be honest. I had a great time on all of my interviews and do not have any regrets. There are a lot of factors going into combined degree decisions, such as funding, research focus, other candidates, slots available, etc.. But it is also a matter of goodness of fit to the program. So if you answer sincerely and truly, if it is meant to be, it just might happen!

GOOD LUCK!! :):):luck:

Njnealon summed it up pretty well, but also, don't worry about reading faculty research papers and trying to memorize what everyone's doing. Just have a general idea of the labs your interested in. And don't get nervous! You're clearly very accomplished to have been selected to interview, so you are definitely a candidate they would be lucky to have.

Reactions: 1 users
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Hi everyone! So I have two interviews for DVM/PhD programs.... one at Colorado State, and the other at UC Davis...

I have been preparing for the DVM portion of the interview, but am curious how I should prepare for the combined degree interviews. I'm assuming it will talk about my past research experiences, my current research interests, potential projects, etc, but just curious if anyone has any advice or opinions on this! Especially if anyone reading this is either preparing for one themsevles or has been through it already. If so, how did you prepare?

I really appreciate it and thank you :)

Hi! Congratulations - hope it went well! I am interested in applying to the program at CSU and was wondering what kind of "profile" they are looking for. I think I would be an unusual candidate, as my experience is all in wildlife biology (with a fair amount of animal handling, including endangered species and ranging from birds to bighorn sheep) but have NO veterinary experience under a DVM. However, my MS research focuses on wildlife diet and parasitology, and I have literally thousands of hours of research experience (beyond my MS degree). I expect to have about 3 publications by the time I finish my MS. Am I automatically going to be filed in the trash bin given my lack of direct veterinary experience? Or does my wildlife handling and wildlife health-focused research (including blue tongue in deer, pneumonia in bighorn sheep, intestinal parasites in grouse) help overcome that deficiency. I have strong GRE scores and GPA (both undergrad and grad). Let me know if I need to do a mad dash for clinical experience! My interest (obviously) is in wildlife health and there are great professors at CSU studying this subject, so I find clinical experience to be less beneficial than wildlife-handling, but wasn't sure if that counts under "veterinary hours". Probably not. Anyways, would love to hear if my experience would be appropriate, and what other candidates look like!

Super intimidating. So weird knowing where I'll be til I'm 30 or so ... Def go to all the interviews and at least see where you get offers! (Gotta love FREE interviews!!!) Also, I would consider which is closest to home (if family and such is important to you. lol.)
FoxHunter, I applied for two DVM programs and two DVM/PhD programs this year. I am hoping to get into CSU's DVM/PhD program. Can I pick your brains about it? What my chances are, what to expect, interview procedure etc.?