Dying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afro5692

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people.

Last time I posted about my 'plan' was back in December. Since then, some real plans have been ironed out and I want to know your thoughts. Am I going to get burned out/die? Is my timing for the DAT awful? Just need some reinforcement (or criticism.) A little background: I am non-traditional; currently a teacher; going back to school for my second bach degree in biology at the same school that houses my #1 dental school.

Summer Session 2 2014 (5 week course)
Gen Chem 1

Fall 2014
Gen Chem 2
Gen Bio 1
Calculus 1 (for my second degree)
Physics 1

Spring 2015
OChem 1
Gen Bio 2
Calculus 2
Physics 2

EARLY SUMMER- take DAT ( as in..a couple of weeks max. after classes end), then apply for that cycle

Summer Session 1 2015 (it will be at the beginning of this term about a week in that I take the DAT)
OChem 2

Fall 2015-Spring 2016 (will just take these randomly whenever I can)
Cellular Physiology
Genetics
Microbiology
Comparative Anatomy
Biochem
Ecology

I know it's going to be rough...but how rough?

Members don't see this ad.

I would make the following adjustments. Yeah it's rough, but doable. I would not take any classes during the summer you're taking the DAT & applying to dschool.

Gen Chem 1
Gen Bio 1

Fall 2014
Gen Chem 2
Calculus 1 (for my second degree)
Gen Bio 2
Physics 1

Spring 2015
OChem 1
Genetics
Cellular Physiology
Comparative Anatomy

Watch Chad's video to cover OChem 2 materials for the DAT

Fall 2015
OChem 2
Biochem
Calculus 2

Spring 2016
Microbiology
Ecology
Physics 2

Reactions: 1 user
^ I like that schedule better, but can you swap Calculus to the end, so you can take Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 before the DAT? Also, I assume the labs are included with the classes?

You may consider moving Gen Chem 2 to Spring 2015, directly before you take the DAT, too, so you'll have some recency effect.

Lastly, you may consider a psychology class instead of the Ecology class. Intro psych is useful, and easy, so it may give you a little break.

OP, that does not look like a setup for failure at all. You'll be busy, but, if you're smart, straight-A's are still well within reach. I would say start studying for the DAT right after Fall 2014, since you will be pretty busy that following semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
The GenChem sequence is a pre-reg for Orgo at my school. I'm not sure if that's the same for other schools. Ecology is usually required for Bio major.

I agree that you should throw in 1-2 social science classes too. Anthropology would be another good option.

Gen Chem 1 was the only pre-req for Orgo at my school, so I didn't think about that. OP, you can also talk to either a department head or a professor to try to get into an "advanced" class without the pre-req. If you tell them the story you started this thread with, and you tell them you're taking Chem 2 at the same time, they'll probably let you into Orgo 1 if they have room. It's up to you.

You can also delay Physics 1, since it's not on the DAT.

Any way to get Gen Chem 1/2 done during this summer? That would really help, then you'd be done with Orgo 2 and bio before the DAT and less crammed.

your title is misleading. i was about to preach the life back into ya.

one class of calculus is more than enough for most dental schools. i'll take some other bio class instead.

Reactions: 3 users
Gen Chem 1 was the only pre-req for Orgo at my school, so I didn't think about that. OP, you can also talk to either a department head or a professor to try to get into an "advanced" class without the pre-req. If you tell them the story you started this thread with, and you tell them you're taking Chem 2 at the same time, they'll probably let you into Orgo 1 if they have room. It's up to you.
You can also delay Physics 1, since it's not on the DAT.
I will try this....for chem it will depend on how well I do in Gchem 1, then I will ask to take Gchem 2 and Ochem 1 at the same time. Similarly, what if I were to take JUST the class for bio 2 this summer with Gchem 1, then take the lab in another semester? Gbio lab time interferes with Gchem lab time. Class is fine though.

where are you taking this?
ECU

I would make the following adjustments. Yeah it's rough, but doable. I would not take any classes during the summer you're taking the DAT & applying to dschool.
Gen Chem 1
Gen Bio 1
Gbio 1 is only offered session 1 at my school. I can't leave my teaching job until June 20 at the earliest (I am a 12 month teacher, not 10 month). I can take the CLASS for Gbio 2, but not the lab. Lab time interferes with chem lab time.

It will be rough, but I think you will be fine.

I'm going to be totally honest here. If you had this schedule at UNC or Duke, I'd be worried. However, the science classes at ECU--from what I've heard from friends--are hard, but not THAT hard. That's sort of how my undergrad was. My classes required a lot of work to do well, but an A was always within reach. I knew if I gave my best efforts, I could get an A. I don't think that ECU tries to weed out their science majors as hard as some other schools do.

You've got this! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, Glimmer! :) Always positive, you are!