Dynamics switching residency during intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlzHelp2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question about transferring programs and specialties during intern year, and could use a little disambiguation of NRMP policy from those familiar with it (i.e. people who have been in my position or the ever helpful SDN PD's)

So I matched a prelim-med position with no PGY-2 this year and need to go through the match again to get a categorical position. I love my matched program and love my PD, got very lucky to end up with such nice people in a great place. However I'm still in the crap position of not having a job next year, and needing to roll the dice with the match again. A categorical PGY-1 position became available this week in my preferred specialty at a nearby hospital, and luckily my PD was nice enough to grant me permission to apply for it. I interviewed for it and now am waiting to hear if I got the job.

My question is this: as long as I stay at my current program through the first 45 days of my internship before giving notice of leaving, will I be good in the eyes of the NRMP (as in no match violation for me or the program I would be transferring to?) I was reading through their policies and the details are really ambiguous. The last thing I want to experience is giving notice at my current residency only to find out the new program can't take me because it is a match violation on them, and I'm out of a job entirely with a permanent black mark. I have been completely transparent with both my current program and the place where I interviewed. As long as both PD's know I am transferring residencies and I stay at my current job through at least 45 days am I good per NRMP policy?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are offered the new position, AND that PD is willing to wait for the 45 day period to be up, AND your current PD is as cool with all of this as you make him out to be, then you will be in the clear as far as NRMP and Match violations are concerned.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the responses! I think I am technically switching specialties going from prelim-IM to another non-IM specialty, so good to know that a waiver should be automatically accepted.