Dyslipidemia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tangov559

Pacific University 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone is studying this section with the new guidelines..I have the 2013 rxprep book. anyone care to share how different the 2014 book is on this section. I plan to review the new guidelines separately due to having the 2013 book. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There really isn't much to it. The new guidelines are a lot easier than the previous. I didn't read the whole thing, but I was able to break it down into this:

• No LDL goals anymore
  • 4 risk groups identified
    1. ASCVD hx (MI/stroke/etc)
    2. LDL > 190
    3. LDL 70-189 (plus age 40-75 AND diabetes)
    4. LDL 70-189 (plus ASCVD risk > 7.5%)
  • "ASCVD risk" is a new calculator used for the new guidelines
  • Therapy
    • Groups 1-2 get high-intensity statins (atorva 40-80mg, rosuva 20-40mg)
    • Groups 3-4 get moderate-intensity statins (all other statins, atorva <40mg, rosuva <20mg)
  • Statins
    • High intensity: >50% reduction in LDL
    • Moderate intensity: 30-50% reduction in LDL

That's pretty much the gist of it and all I memorized for the test (in regards to therapeutics). Of course, know your drugs.

Check out the guidelines, especially Section 2 and Table 3 for the pertinent changes. https://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2013/11/11/01.cir.0000437738.63853.7a.full.pdf

Please correct me or add if I missed anything.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
There really isn't much to it. The new guidelines are a lot easier than the previous. I didn't read the whole thing, but I was able to break it down into this:

• No LDL goals anymore
    2. LDL > 190
  • Therapy
    • Groups 3-4 get moderate-intensity statins (all other statins, atorva <40mg, rosuva <20mg)
  • Statins
That's pretty much the gist of it and all I memorized for the test (in regards to therapeutics). Of course, know your drugs.

Check out the guidelines, especially Section 2 and Table 3 for the pertinent changes. https://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2013/11/11/01.cir.0000437738.63853.7a.full.pdf

Good luck.

Thank you so much. I was looking for this.

Members don't see this ad :)

• No LDL goals anymore
    2. LDL > 190
  • Therapy
  • Statins

Good luck.

To JUSTBEME, thank you very much for sharing. Your summary is excellent, you have very good talent and you will pass this section with flying color.

Thanks again. Anyone with good tips about anything? Please keep sharing..............Thank you very much in advance.

I will follow your good heart of sharing by sharing a gift from my friend.
What do I share:

ACCORDING TO RXPREP, FOR BOARD EXAMS, FOR SURE, you have to be ready to convert dose of statins, within 30 seconds.
Here is a quick trick that will help you know how to convert statins in 5 minutes.

Please see attached PDF file
Let me know what you think. I will ask my friend for more creative tricks to help you pass easier.

Attachments

• TRICK TO REMEMBER CONVERT STATIN FOR BOARD EXAM.pdf
    125.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing bc I'm working with the 2013 rxprep book also and I'm concerned about the new guidelines appearing in the exam in April/May