E-Books vs Hard Copy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mct2762

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of the schools out there use primarily E-books for their textbooks? I found out that my school apparently moved to e-books last year and it kind of scares me.

For those that use e-books now, have you had any problems?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an iPad with all of my books on it. Its convenient and the ebooks are cheaper than hardcopies. I'd recommend getting a tablet or iPad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an iPad with all of my books on it. Its convenient and the ebooks are cheaper than hardcopies. I'd recommend getting a tablet or iPad.

what program do you use to read the books?

edit: i mean what application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some books as E-books, and some of them hard copies. Nothing like a physical paper book. I feel like I don't absorb as much information when I read it off of a computer screen.

Reactions: 2 users
Just because they're using ebooks doesn't mean you can't also buy a hard copy of the ones you use the most.

Reactions: 1 users
I use no paper. All my books are electronic copies (pdf) and I've found iBooks to be the best when handling huge books.

My biggest issue with ebooks has always been the distraction potential of reading on an internet capable device. The siren song of SDN will surely be my downfall...

Reactions: 2 users
My biggest issue with ebooks has always been the distraction potential of reading on an internet capable device. The siren song of SDN will surely be my downfall...

Haha so so true

what program do you use to read the books?

edit: i mean what application?
Goodreader for most of my PDF books and kindle-something for the books I've bought on amazon.

I like to write margin notes and annotate my pages when I read. Are you guys able to do all of those things when you use eBooks with goodreads or a similar program?

Posted using SDN Mobile

When I took Cell & Molecular biology they hardcopy came with a ebook version and I found myself using the ebook so much I sold the hardcopy. I was able to search the text for what I was looking for and copy sections of text quickly onto a separte word document for notes. I imagine if you were using something with a pen like a galaxy note 10.1 you could annotate directly onto the text or images and that would be pretty helpful.

e-books are great, but I've always preferred using an actual textbook, instead. Like another poster suggested, you could try to get all of your e-books as hard copies, instead.

I have a lot of ebooks and there are advantages and disadvantages as mentioned, it's a little hard to get used to. I bought a laser printer with cheap toner (a refurbished Brother) and print out chapters if I really need to for some reason. Comes out to be about 2cents per page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essentially all of my class uses e-books. Most people have a hard copy of an Atlas for anatomy, neuro, and histo.

I was happy with e-books for all else, except for a few from the BRS series and FA (obviously).

I just use the Book app on an iPad but some of the Samsung stuff with the stylus makes me a little jelly.

I like to write margin notes and annotate my pages when I read. Are you guys able to do all of those things when you use eBooks with goodreads or a similar program?

Yep, you can highlight and add "pop up" text boxes for notes.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Mine does. My students seem to have no problem with digital vs hard copy. I'm an old fart so I like hard copy.

Do any of the schools out there use primarily E-books for their textbooks? I found out that my school apparently moved to e-books last year and it kind of scares me.

For those that use e-books now, have you had any problems?

Reactions: 1 users