E prescriptions in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naseuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - The New York Legislature has approved an amendment to the recently enacted law that requires doctors to submit virtually all medication prescriptions electronically to a pharmacy.

If signed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the legislation would authorize the physician, dentist or other prescriber to electronically send it to a secure site from which it can be downloaded by the pharmacy of the patient's choice.

Sponsors say that would ease the pressure on patients to decide during an office visit which pharmacy the patient will use.

The patient could also get a printout of the prescription as a reminder and to make it easier for the pharmacy to find.

The state Health Department would have to issue regulations to protect prescriptions' security and patient privacy and coordinate the system with federal agencies."

- See more at: http://www.wktv.com/features/health..._including_printing.html#sthash.Q5mRBem2.dpuf

Does anyone have more information regarding this? It would certainly make life easier if this were true, however I was unable to find any additional information.

Members don't see this ad.

First I'm hearing of it. Not sure if it would be better or worse. Sure it's nice that I don't have to call around and get the pharmacy across the street to reverse their claim and get a new Rx sent to us. But does it mean all day long I'm going to have to keep refreshing a website that isn't linked into my software, then download a file, then scan it in? Forget about it. Every patient would essentially be an in-store waiter, because we wouldn't know to fill the Rx until they told us to go on the website and retrieve it. And we would still have the "no, your doctor hasn't sent anything yet" issues we still get with E-rx, but it would probably be worse because we have to check a 3rd party website rather than our own software. Devil's in the details.

Good intentions, disaster in reality. What are you supposed to do, assign a technician to sit there and click download all day. You would think the powers that be in corporate pharmacy retailers would kill this pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would the patient still have the option to have the physician to send it directly to the pharmacy? If every single script had to be downloaded someone would have to sit there all day clicking download and the phone would ring off the hook with customers calling for their rx to be filled (or the waiting area would be packed when people just show up and say to fill it).

If a c2 is sent to a pharmacy can they electronically transfer it to another store in the chain if the original store was out of stock? Or will the doctor have to resend it to the other store and cancel the original?
Also if it's e-prescribed but original pharmacy is out of stock can that pharmacy print off the script and give it to a patient to take to another chain?

If a c2 is sent to a pharmacy can they electronically transfer it to another store in the chain if the original store was out of stock? Or will the doctor have to resend it to the other store and cancel the original?
Also if it's e-prescribed but original pharmacy is out of stock can that pharmacy print off the script and give it to a patient to take to another chain?
Nope. The doc has to resend it.