About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ear surgery

Discussion in 'Plastic Surgery' started by Walt, May 18, 2005.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Walt

Walt New Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I didn't really know where to post about this, if there is another forum out there that deals mre specifically with my questions, could someone possibly post a link? Thanks.
    Ok, well my probelem is that one of my ears sticks out more than the other one, to the point that it is quite noticeable to other people. My first question actually is if there is an alterntive to getting surgery done. For example I always sleep on one side of the bed so that my ear is pressed against my head, in hopes that it will "even it out". I doubt that really does anthing though. I'm just curious if there are non surgical procedures that can be done.
    As for surgery, I have read up on it and I don't know if I would want to do it. It sounds a little risky, and it would be difficult for me to deal wih wearing a head bandage for a few weeks. Plus I would be unconfortable if people started asking me if I had done surgery or something to myself.
    My last question is regarding something I read that states that our ears never stop growing. Does this mean I should expect my ear ot keep expanding outwards as my life continues?
    And lastly, do any of you reccomend this surgery. I know it is hard to advise me since you havent really seen a picture and don't know the extent of my ear.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Again, I'm not even sure if I am posting on the right forum, so if there is a better suited forum for these types of questions, a link would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
  2. mustangsally65

mustangsally65 Sally 2.0

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hmm. I understand your hesitency to have surgery, and I think that is good. I assume you are a guy, and can't use long hair to cover your ears.

My sister and brother both have a bump on the top of one of their ears, and they are both self-conscious about it, but I never notice it. I don't have it, and I have long hair, so I don't know what you are going through with this. However, you might think something is painfully obvious, but other people in fact might only rarely notice it.

But none of us are physically perfect. If it doesn't bother you in any way except making you wary of what other people think, then should you even worry about having surgery to correct it? It's probably going to be expensive, and you're going to have to wear a bandage for a few weeks, and it might not even be to your satisfaction.

Try talking to someone you are close to, and find out his/her opinion, or better yet, ask your PCP. There may be non-surgical options available that would help you. :)
  3. droliver

droliver Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    On the contrary, what you have sounds like a very straight forward & correctable ear deformity. The surgery for this is pretty basic with little recovery. Essentially you just put a number of stiches posteriorly in the cartilage of you ear which bends it back on itself. Your ear size is not going to change signifigantly at your age so I would not be concerned about that.

There are no non-surgical options for what you describe. If the prominent ear deformity is identified in the newborn, the ears can be taped back and at that age you still have some plasticity of the cartilage that will allow correction. After a few months of age, that doesn't work as well.

For something as easily treated with little morbidity, there is absolutely no reason to not have that fixed.
  4. toofache32

toofache32

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    What he said.
  5. Ergo

Ergo Integrated Resident

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Ive seen this procedure. Its easy to fix with quick recovery.
  6. cgellura

cgellura Junior Member

The otoplasty is a very simple procedure in which the cartilage of the ear is surgically molded into a more pleasing position. There are some non-surgical options floating around but personally I do not beleive they will give you the look you desire. Sleeping on your ear will not work because (presumably) you are an adult and the cartilage is unmoldable on its own. In children the cartilage is still pliable and non-surgical correction is a possibility. Contact a cosmetic surgeon who performs the otoplasty for a consultation. Depending on where you live the cost can be anywhere from $1,000 and up for one ear. Your doctor may even want to do both ears to give you a more balanced look. Good luck!

www.plasticsurgery.org
  7. Walt

Walt New Member

Thanks for all the information. I'm still hesitant about surgery, but it's definetally a much bigger possibility now that more light has been shed on it. I didn't know it was so expensive though!
    I'm going to have to think about this for a while now before I make any final decision. Again, thanks for your input.
  8. TheThroat

TheThroat SDN Moderator Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    One thing I would recommend is to find a surgeon who operates on congenital pediatric facial abnormalities. Not all plastic surgeons have done a lot of otoplasties, and if you want a good outcome, having someone with a lot of experience is paramount. At Iowa, we have a cosmetic surgeon and we have a guy who does tons of clefts and other congenital stuff. No one would argue that the the cleft guy is the guy to go to here.
  9. SmokinRee4er

SmokinRee4er

OK I AM A 16 YEAR OLD MALE AND MY EARS STICK OUT. IF I TAKE MY FINGERS AND PIN THEM BACK JUST SLIGHTLY BACK (NOT EVEN A CM) IT LOOKS MUCH BETTER. I DONT WANT SURGERY AND IM WONDERING IF I TAPE MY EARS TO MY HEAD BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP EVERYNIGHT WILL IT WORK? aGAIN THEY ONLY NEED LESS THEM A CM PULLED BACK.WILL TAPING WORK? PLZ LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE HAS A SOLUTION THAT DOESNT INVOLVE SURGERY
  10. toofache32

toofache32

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Safety pins are a better option because you can hide them behind the ear and keep them pinned all day.
  11. SmokinRee4er

SmokinRee4er

Ok But If I Wear Them For How Long? And Will My Ears Stay Permanetly Pinned Back After The Safety Pins Or Wut ?
  12. toofache32

toofache32

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    You Have To Wear Them All Day.
  13. smurft

smurft

Alright Im Also a 16 Year old boy........ And my ears STICK OUT I hate it so much.... IS there any other way besides having Surgery....... And smokingreef I agree with you The fact that my ears stick out is Very annoying and embarrasing Does anyone have any ideas That DOES* NOT INVOLVE Surgery.... :) :confused:
  14. resxn

resxn

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'll say this once and for all. There is no way to get your ears to not stick out after the newborn period by taping, lying on them all day, gluing them, or whatever. It just doesn't happen (it may work for a newborn, less than a month or so old). It would be nice if it did for those who are older, but it doesn't. The only thing you'll feel is a shot, the rest is a piece of cake.

A good surgeon can easily place a few sutures under local in an office setting to correct a mild protrusion of the ears. Many ENT and plastics people will do this. Some do prefer to do it in the OR rather than an office. I've done it both places and just do so based on patient preference. I agree with Throat's comments above that you want someone experienced to do it, not your random joe blow guy in the yellow pages.
  15. toofache32

toofache32

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Ain't der a salve you cud rub on dem ears or sumpin' ?
  16. TheThroat

TheThroat SDN Moderator Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member

How 'bout a balm? My uncky Phil sells this balm out the back of his Winnebager and it'll fix anything!