Early Acceptance Program - SUNY upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureRocDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm brand new to this (see my post titled 'new here' if you want a brief background), so bear with me! I've been spending a little time each night reading about med schools within a reasonable distance, since my family will not be able to relocate. While my dream would be U of R, it's too much of a long shot to put all of my eggs in one basket. I saw that SUNY upstate has any early assurance program, but I dont know if that's something a non-traditional student could even apply for. I graduated high school almost 20 years ago, and while I went to RIT for biotechnology, I was not a stellar student, nor did I finish my degree. Some of my credits transferred, so I will be starting as a sophomore in a few short weeks at Roberts Wesleyan. Can anyone offer me some insight? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The best insight anyone will be able to offer you is that if you can't relocate for medical school you should 1. prepare to be disappointed since putting all your eggs into even 2 or 3 baskets is a recipe for failure and 2. reconsider a field other than medicine because the likelihood of making it to med school, residency, fellowship, then a job as an attending without needing to move is highly unlikely.

Moving is essentially part of the equation. If you aren't willing or able to move, its like saying you want to go to medical school without a bachelors degree or taking the MCAT. It is technically possible to do, but highly improbable.

I never said I was unable to relocate. My family however cannot right now, so I am planning on applying to every school within a reasonable distance, so that there's some hope of me seeing them. It would be foolish not to. I was just curious about the early acceptance program as it pertains to a non-traditional student.

Early decision programs in general are a bad idea UNLESS you are a really good fit for that school and your numbers are above their typical students. The reason being is that most EDP's bind you to not applying anywhere else until you get an answer from that school, and if the school turns you down, then you are behind the power curve for all other schools.