Early Acceptance Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timeisnow17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my university premed students have the ability to gain acceptance into medical school following their sophomore year. You apply after the second semester of your freshman year and if accepted, the requirements for holding your spot at the medical college include maintaining a 3.5 GPA/30 MCAT throughout your junior and senior years.

I just finished my first semester of sophomore year and, after speaking with my premed advisor, learned I have a very strong chance of being accepted into this program. My question is whether you guys think it would be good to follow through with this and save myself the hassle of the entire application process, or ditch this opportunity in favor of applying for/potentially being accepted into a medical school that I am more partial to (better location, better match list, better school in general). On one hand having this type of security would be phenomenal, though it may also feel like I`m kind of copping out.

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on what you value. Personally I would think it is a great opportunity because I spent 10k on application related things this year and had loads of stress. Is it a state school that would be cheaper? Could you back out once you are in (as in is there any harm in applying and seeing how the program goes)? These are all things to consider.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I had a lot of fun traveling to different places and meeting lots of cools people because of interviews. However, the process really is expensive.

I think one good thing about going the "traditional way" is you get to compare different schools and see where you would fit in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It matters what the early acceptance school is. You may want to look into their facilities/faculty. Are there any heavy hitters? Would attending that school close any doors for you in any way?

At my university premed students have the ability to gain acceptance into medical school following their sophomore year. You apply after the second semester of your freshman year and if accepted, the requirements for holding your spot at the medical college include maintaining a 3.5 GPA/30 MCAT throughout your junior and senior years.

I just finished my first semester of sophomore year and, after speaking with my premed advisor, learned I have a very strong chance of being accepted into this program. My question is whether you guys think it would be good to follow through with this and save myself the hassle of the entire application process, or ditch this opportunity in favor of applying for/potentially being accepted into a medical school that I am more partial to (better location, better match list, better school in general). On one hand having this type of security would be phenomenal, though it may also feel like I`m kind of copping out.
:rolleyes:

Le Sigh.

Depends on what the actual school/early acceptance program is. Going to Northwestern, Mount Sinai, Brown, or Baylor wouldn't limit your career opportunities.

Hold on. If you get accepted, you are not allowed to apply to other schools? If not apply and get accepted to this program. When the time comes apply outside and see what happens.

Personally, I was in a very similar situation coming into my sophomore year. In Texas they have a program called JAMP, it is almost like guaranteed admission to a Texas medical school. However, I was afraid to commit to Texas schools—at the time, I was uncertain if I would be applying out of state. Long story short, I withdrew my application the day before it was due.

The repercussions were great for me—I worked harder knowing I turned away from the possibility of being secure early in my academic career. Many of my friends, who were accepted to the program, had limited flexibility in the school they were able to attend. I, on the other hand, had the opportunity to apply to any and all schools I found interesting. I now hold multiple acceptance from many great schools. Without the program, I have much more flexibility with my future. If you are very confident in your ability to keep a high GPA and do well on the MCAT, I would highly recommend weighing the pros and cons.

Another case of a similar situation, I have a friend who got into a guaranteed acceptance program out of high school. However, at the moment, he does not seem pleased with his future being decided long before interview season began. The ability to look at different medical schools and choose what school to attend is amazing. With a strong application, you will be able to choose the city you live in. If you get assigned to a school right now, you may regret that in the future—maybe not.

Best of luck to you with your decision!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Excellent advice in here --

So how do you like your university? The city/town where you go to school? Is it a great fit for your personality? Or would you be happier elsewhere? How highly-regarded is the medical school?

Do you perform better under pressure? (The uncertainty of not having a guaranteed spot may make you work harder, learn ore, get more exposure to the field.) Or do you learn better when you feel more secure and can see the road ahead of you?

Your school's requirements (3.5 / 30) are pretty much the expectations of most TX medical schools. So maintain that level of performance and you're likely to get in somewhere. Fall short of those benchmarks and your chances drop dramatically.

So really, it's more of a "choose your school now" kind of deal than anything else --

If it is non-binding, then I say go for it. The time and money that can be saved, along with the agonizing months waiting for an answer may be worth more than choice.

If it is non-binding, then I say go for it. The time and money that can be saved, along with the agonizing months waiting for an answer may be worth more than choice.
Unfortunately it is binding, and if you`re accepted but fail to maintain the MCAT/GPA standards then you lose your spot and are notified after it`s too late to apply for other med schools. This has actually happened to people and they`ve had to wait a year to reapply. But the other points you mentioned are exactly why I`m considering this option.