Early clinicals, not associated with md/do school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyfeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

My biggest deciding factor is a school that is NOT associated with a DO/MD school and a school that starts early clinics (2nd year), so far the Pod schools have cover these requirements are:

BUSPM
CSPM
.................any other schools?

Also, could someone please tell me which schools are graded on pass/fail during the first 2 years? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

The important thing to look for is regular distribution of gummy bears and cotton candy to students.

^ LOL

I don't think any of the schools use a Pass/Fail model for most of their courses in the 1st 2 years. Some of the courses maybe. I may be wrong. Any other input on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!!

My biggest deciding factor is a school that is NOT associated with a DO/MD school and a school that starts early clinics (2nd year), so far the Pod schools have cover these requirements are:

BUSPM
CSPM
.................any other schools?

Also, could someone please tell me which schools are graded on pass/fail during the first 2 years? Thanks :)

Ok... Question to you would be, why would you want to only be concerned with schools that are not associated with MD/DO schools?

To answer your question, there are NO schools that are graded on a pass/fail basis for the first two years. There may, however, be one or two courses that are pass fail but that's about it. Obviously a GPA has to be formulated... pass/fail doesn't contribute to a GPA. Our degrees are not spoon fed to us....

Ok... Question to you would be, why would you want to only be concerned with schools that are not associated with MD/DO schools?

To answer your question, there are NO schools that are graded on a pass/fail basis for the first two years. There may, however, be one or two courses that are pass fail but that's about it. Obviously a GPA has to be formulated... pass/fail doesn't contribute to a GPA. Our degrees are not spoon fed to us....

FYI a good % of allopathic schools are P/F. They still calculate GPA, but only behind the scenes. It just doesn't factor in whether you pass a course, but it still is used in your Dean's letter and may/may not be used to calculate your class rank. Of course, some allopathic schools that don't keep track of class rank either. :laugh:

Well because I feel like if I'm going to podiatry school I would rather be in classes w only podiatry students and not DO/MDs. I also hear integrated programs are much harder than they should be even though i know podiatry school is also very difficult. I know some people think that do/md students will think higher of pods bc they'll know we go through the same training, however, either way they are going to think what they want!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

The reason I asked is because someone at CSPM said they'll be converting to a P/F system so I thought that maybe some other schools were already using that system.

The reason I asked is because someone at CSPM said they'll be converting to a P/F system so I thought that maybe some other schools were already using that system.

Oh someone please tell me that isn't true... P/F systems are typically used by high-caliber medical schools so that there is less internal competition/sabotage and to perpetuate the perception that the school is superior. There are only 9 pod schools, and we do not rank them because there are only 9. If there were 100, and a handle of excellent schools did p/f that'd be fine. But how do I compete for a residency/clerkship against a school that has p/f grades when only 9 schools without real reputations exist?

CSPM's administration thought about it last year, but the students there voted it down so it never got off the ground. What they DID do was move from a weekly exam format to a traditional midterm/final format.That's what I was told by the associate dean on my interview, so I'm very confident it's correct.

This is one of the SDN pitfalls: hearsay that's only half right

EDIT: OP, since there is no P/F pod school, your decision of where to go is now a little easier :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that info! Yes it will be easier but after going to a undergrad with 60,000 kids, I would also like to go to a school with a small class because I'm tired of being a face in a huge crowd, I'd like my profs to know my name!

The USMLE is scored, therefore some MD schools can get away with P/F

If our schools did P/F for course work it would not work because the APMLE is P/F. There would be no way to accurately judge a student on paper. This would benefit the bottom feeders in the class but punish the people who work very hard.

Just my 2 cents.

If our schools did P/F for course work it would not work because the APMLE is P/F. There would be no way to accurately judge a student on paper. This would benefit the bottom feeders in the class but punish the people who work very hard.

Just my 2 cents.

Your 2 cents is worth much more than 2 cents. Well said.