Early College Problem...

pumba0602

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm currently a junior at a high school that is partnered with a community college. By the end of my senior year, I'll have my Associate's in Science degree. I'm planning on then applying to a university and getting my Bachelor's in Biology (I chose bio over psych because bio is better for MCAT prep... haha why not knock out two birds with one stone?) and then I hit a wall.

I would graduate at 18 with my Associate's. And then spend two years at whichever university I get into (the credits are all guaranteed to transfer to any public university in my state) for my Bachelor's... and after I get my Bachelor's... what happens?

I talked to a teacher about what to do after I graduate from university. He said I'd be super young to be applying to med school (20 years old). So does it make sense to go ahead and get my Master's degree in something science-related? It'd only be two years... so I would be spending the same amount of time in college as my friends who go to traditional high schools. Would that look good to medical schools?
Specifically, if I said something along the lines of "oh, yeah, well... I felt that I was too young to apply to medical school so I went ahead and got a Master's degree... to, you know, knock out some time" would I be looked at any different by admissions?

If a Master's degree wouldn't distinguish me... then is 20 really too young to apply to med school? What else would make sense to do?

I've just started thinking about all this. Any insight would be reeeally nice.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you get some experience shadowing and stuff to prove you know what you're getting into, I don't see a reason to work on a Master's degree. 20 is young, but only because not many people are done with undergrad in the same time frame you are. The goal of most people: get in ASAP, get out ASAP, enjoy your career. If you're competitive with a solid MCAT, good GPA, good shadowing/volunteer, and a 4-year degree, I see no reason to pursue a master's degree.

I was 27 when I applied. I wish I had been 20. I'd be an attending now instead of a MS-2 creeping up on 30 :(

Reactions: 1 user
I probably wouldn't take any more advice from that person ... get through your undergraduate and apply to med school right after. No sense in waiting around for 2 years to be the same age as most applicants, that sounds ******ed.

Also, don't do bio just because you think it will better prepare you for the MCAT ... do whatever you want to. This is college, you're supposed to enjoy it and have fun. A lot of people seem to think that X or Y major is the best because it will prepare them for the MCAT better, or that the adcom's will get all excited when they see a biology major apply. It's the exact opposite, they enjoy diversity. If you want to be a dance major, pottery major, fire science major, or underwater basketweaving major then do it. Pick for yourself what you want to be studying the next 4 years, because if you don't make the choice for yourself then you will have a miserable 4 years. The pre-reqs will prepare you for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the whole early college thing/ graduated HS with an associates. I ended up doing 3 years after HS at undergrad instead of 2 (had medical issues and did a reduced course load for a little bit). I went to physical therapy school right after at 20. I was the youngest in my class by over a year. I don't regret it at all. Yeah I may have less work experience than many of my classmates did but I was still able to handle the rigors of school. Now I am 24, a working physical therapist, and I can spend the next few years paying more off on my student loans (and saving) before focusing on paying for a wedding, having kids, buying a house, etc. I would recommend not doing a masters as that would likely be a waste of money as it is not necessary. If anything, you could take a year or 2 off, get a job, and save up some money.

As another note: I don't think age is as much as an issue as getting prepared is. You will be in your junior year of college while also being right out of high school. This means you would have to be preparing for the MCAT and getting ready to gather everything to apply a year later.

i concur with the advice already given: bio is a useless degree and will not give you a significant advantage for the MCAT compared to any other major. nor will it give you an advantage applying to medical school. choose your major based on what job you would like to obtain if you don't make it to medical school (hint: a bio degree will not get you a good job). a master's degree would be a waste of money. if you don't want to enter med school at 20, work for a few years instead of spending more time in school. working would do a lot more towards demonstrating maturity and life experience than a master's degree. and it would ease a bit of your impending debt load.

Hey guys. I'm currently a junior at a high school that is partnered with a community college. By the end of my senior year, I'll have my Associate's in Science degree. I'm planning on then applying to a university and getting my Bachelor's in Biology (I chose bio over psych because bio is better for MCAT prep... haha why not knock out two birds with one stone?) and then I hit a wall.

I would graduate at 18 with my Associate's. And then spend two years at whichever university I get into (the credits are all guaranteed to transfer to any public university in my state) for my Bachelor's... and after I get my Bachelor's... what happens?

I talked to a teacher about what to do after I graduate from university. He said I'd be super young to be applying to med school (20 years old). So does it make sense to go ahead and get my Master's degree in something science-related? It'd only be two years... so I would be spending the same amount of time in college as my friends who go to traditional high schools. Would that look good to medical schools?
Specifically, if I said something along the lines of "oh, yeah, well... I felt that I was too young to apply to medical school so I went ahead and got a Master's degree... to, you know, knock out some time" would I be looked at any different by admissions?

If a Master's degree wouldn't distinguish me... then is 20 really too young to apply to med school? What else would make sense to do?

I've just started thinking about all this. Any insight would be reeeally nice.
You won't be discriminated against if you apply to med school at the age of twenty, but you won't compare favorably to other applicants if you don't have the usual and customary experiences that are usually acquired during three to four years in college. Evidence of maturity is expected of all applicants. Categories of activities that add appeal to a med school application are:

Artistic Endeavors
Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical
Community Service/Volunteer - Non Medical/Clinical
Hobbies
Honors/Award/Recognition
Intercollegiate Athletics
Leadership
Employment
Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation
Presentations/Posters
Publications
Research/Lab
Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant

Also, keep in mind that all grades earned while dual-enrolled count toward your application GPA, not just those from the university, so keep your GPA high.