Early Decision question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Retractor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to apply to an EDP next cycle but I'm not sure if you are allowed to apply to other schools (regular cycle) before you receive the decision on October 1st. If I get rejected, would I only be able to apply to other schools after October 1st? This is really late in the cycle and would put me at a severe disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you are allowing to apply to others school, but you will have to tell them to hold those other application until the EDP school gets you the final decision. But most importantly you have to be far more qualified for the school first (mean well above average accepted applicants score-wise)

I'm hoping to apply to an EDP next cycle but I'm not sure if you are allowed to apply to other schools (regular cycle) before you receive the decision on October 1st. If I get rejected, would I only be able to apply to other schools after October 1st? This is really late in the cycle and would put me at a sever disadvantage.

Exactly. I wouldn't apply EDP unless you have extremely extenuating circumstances that mean you have to go to that one school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are allowing to apply to others school, but you will have to tell them to hold those other application until the EDP school gets you the final decision. But most importantly you have to be far more qualified for the school first (mean well above average accepted applicants score-wise)
This is false. You cannot apply elsewhere until you are either rejected or put on hold by the initial school. Their deadline for getting back to you is October 1st.

I'm hoping to apply to an EDP next cycle but I'm not sure if you are allowed to apply to other schools (regular cycle) before you receive the decision on October 1st. If I get rejected, would I only be able to apply to other schools after October 1st? This is really late in the cycle and would put me at a sever disadvantage.
You can only apply to other schools after October 1st, unless the school releases you from that contract earlier, which is unlikely. So yes, if EDP didn't work out you wouldn't be applying elsewhere until quite late in the cycle. It's not a death sentence as far as your application goes (I did it and got in), but it is certainly not ideal.

This is false. You cannot apply elsewhere until you are either rejected or put on hold by the initial school. Their deadline for getting back to you is October 1st.

This is correct.

EDP is NOT meant to be used in an "increase my chance of an acceptance" kind of way. It's more designed for people that have very compelling reasons to attend a particular school. I know my own institution requires a discussion with the admissions director prior to be allowed to apply EDP. It would't surprise me if other institutions have a similar requirement.

Thanks for the info guys. I had a completely wrong impression of what the EDP was.

I'm curious as to what are examples of "compelling reasons" or "extenuating circumstances"?

Applying EDP is never to your advantage.

http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/acc_ear_dec.html
Early Decision
This program allows highly qualified applicants to apply initially only to WCMC. The AMCAS deadline for the Early Decision (ED) Program is August 1. If you apply to WCMC under the ED program, you must adhere to the tenets of the program. If you are accepted to WCMC by ED, you will be notified by October 1. If you are accepted, it is expected that you will enroll at WCMC. Under ED program guidelines, you may not apply to another medical school in the United States (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) unless we do not offer you acceptance by October 1 or we release you from the EDP commitment.

Thanks for the info guys. I had a completely wrong impression of what the EDP was.

I'm curious as to what are examples of "compelling reasons" or "extenuating circumstances"?
As in, I've got a child in this town so I cannot attend anywhere else.

I see. So I'd be better off applying to all the schools regularly.

As in, I've got a child in this town so I cannot attend anywhere else.

Exactly - something along the lines of strong personal reasons for needing to be at that particular city. You could also, I suppose, apply with the idea that there are very particular aspects of that program that you think would be advantageous to your goals, but I'm not sure that even that is the intent of the program.

One last question: How do I quote something like you guys are doing? I click on the +Quote button but it doesn't do anything.

One last question: How do I quote something like you guys are doing? I click on the +Quote button but it doesn't do anything.
You can either do that and click the insert quote button or you can click reply.