Early Decision vs. Regular Dcision Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Early Decision or Regular Decision

• ED

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • RD

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

workingfarmer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read the other threads but none of them have the answer to my question and I am still not in the clear. According to PharmCAS early decision interviews are between sept and oct and decision is made by 21 OCT. However, if I apply as regular admission can I still be interviewed within this time frame if I submit my application in August? I do not want to Early Decision because I do not want to be limited. However, I am not sure if regular decision are also conducted during this time or are the interviews only slotted for ED applicants? I know it varies by schools so the schools I'm looking at are in TN, NC, and SC. Thanks in advance SD community!

P.S. I know ED applicants have better options but to me it seems like a risk if regular decision can interview during those same time period as well! :S

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Under the current rules, you can interview for Regular Admission simultaneously with Early Decision's timeframe, but if you get even one Early Decision admit, that's it for the admission cycle. You may not reject it and go into the Regular Admission cycle. Rejecting an early admit and continuing with regular admission been done in the past, but if we find that out (Midwest and PAC-12 work the same way), we will throw your application out from consideration if the times coincided for the cycle as you wasted the Early Decision school's time rejecting their admit. If you are rejected from all Early Decision, there is no impediment to using the interview made during the Early season for Regular admission.

You might be in a different situation though. If you are applying while still on active duty through the HPAR, I believe (not certain) that you are exempted from those rules due to the way HRC/BUPERS/AFPC have to work in terms of permissions to apply. You need to make your circumstances clear to the admissions office (not the interviewers) if one of the military personnel offices bind you to specific times. We will understand.

Under the current rules, you can interview for Regular Admission simultaneously with Early Decision's timeframe

False.

You can only apply to a single school under Early Decision; PharmCAS locks your application down until a decision is made in your early Decision app, and only if you are waitlisted or rejected can you apply regular decision.

Unless of course the regular decision schools you are applying to don't use PharmCAS...then you are free to try as described above.

False.

You can only apply to a single school under Early Decision; PharmCAS locks your application down until a decision is made in your early Decision app, and only if you are waitlisted or rejected can you apply regular decision.

Unless of course the regular decision schools you are applying to don't use PharmCAS...then you are free to try as described above.

Sorry, 297point1 is correct, I'm wrong. I meant that part as well about PharmCAS and nonPharmCAS schools. Sorry, thinking about what University of Arizona (non-PharmCAS) does and not Big 10 (PharmCAS) when I wrote that answer due to having that exact situation occur with this year's U of A crop.

Thanks Yeah I have decided just to do Reg. Decision as it makes more sense and is beneficial to the applicant. Thank you for the insights