Early match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray D. Ayshun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we approach match day I'm thinking about my ophtho friends who know where they're going, which can inform their 1st year rank lists, and perhaps interviews. I'm wondering what makes a specialty choose to match early, and if there's ever been interest in radonc to do so. Given that we're generally not applying for integrated programs, I feel like it would be nice to be able to tell a TY or prelim that I'll be doing my advanced in city X.

Members don't see this ad.

As shown by the NRMP early leak last year (all my friends found out where they matched over a week earlier), it is evident that they sit on the results for a while. With today's computers, the answer to life should not take so long to compute, and I am sure it does not. I've concluded it is simply based on tradition to have a "match day" later (a pointless one IMO). It would make the most sense to have the results early so if people don't match they can start working on their re-application as soon as possible and potentially do away rotations in the spring, plus the reason you state of being able to match the tys and prelims. However, I don't see anything really changing. Too many things seem pointless in medical education like the Step 2 CS (what a rip off!!!), the yearly increases in application ERAS fees, paying to rank programs, and the tradition of "match day" so late in the year giving applicants no way to match up with their prelims/TYS. Don't expect anything to change. The bean counters always get their way.