Early Match??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roy7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this was posted before, but how does it work and what institutes have it? If it makes any difference I want to do EM.

If anyone has a link to a better thread please shoot me over and I'm sorry for the redundancy.

Members don't see this ad.

Early match fields = urology, neurosurgery, pedi neuro, ophtho.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have confirmation of that?

we just got an e-mail from our Dean saying that Neurosurgery is no longer part of the early match. it's official.

Interesting... if you go to UNSOM (www.unr.edu/med), there is an article about two students who matched into prestigious programs, and one of them was neurosurgery.

Here is the announcement:

RENO, Nev.— Every March for the past 56 years, fourth-year medical students across the nation have eagerly awaited the results of the National Residency Matching Program. However, for a select few the suspense of learning where one will spend the next several years in residency training ends early. Students who learn the results of their match prior to the traditional March date are apart of an elite group who either place in the San Francisco Residency and Fellowship Matching Services or Military Residency Match.

This year two graduating medical students from the University of Nevada School of Medicine placed in very competitive early match programs. Aicha Hull participated in the Military Match and will complete her residency in emergency medicine at Madigan Army Hospital in Tacoma, Washington. Carrie Stair will do her residency in neurosurgery at the University of Utah.

Nevada's medical students traditionally place in some of the nation's most competitive residency programs. Historically, School of Medicine students have placed in the San Francisco Match while others who placed in the traditional matching program were selected to continue study at prestigious institutions like Mayo Clinic, Tufts, and UCLA.

Results from the National Residency Matching Program will be announced to the Class of 2008 on Thursday, March 20. Celebrations will be held at University of Nevada School of Medicine campuses in Reno and Las Vegas.

Interesting... if you go to UNSOM (www.unr.edu/med), there is an article about two students who matched into prestigious programs, and one of them was neurosurgery.

http://societyns.org/match_information.html

"This year" refers to the 2008-2009 application cycle, since the 2007-2008 one is finished (for neurosurgery). Neurosurgery will be normal match, and I have heard that Uro and Peds Neuro may be following. It doesn't make sense to have two different match processes, especially when many of the early match programs require you to go through the regular match for prelim/transitional programs.