Earplugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrScrub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a quick question.

I was wondering how loud it was in the test room, and if you guys recommended wearing ear plugs.

I wasn't sure if I should wear earplugs because my ear always rings (tinitus), and the ringing isn't normally bothersome, unless if I'm wearing earplugs; and if it wasn't too loud in the test room (e.g people talking while signing in/coughing or sneezing loudly), I wasn't planning on not wearing them.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took in 2011 and there were 3 kinds of headphones available for us to use. All good quality.
I don't think it was loud or anything. Even if it was loud I was focused on exam and filtering out ambient sound.

You should check with the center .... Different place, different case

It's usually quiet, but this girl started singing while I was in the middle of BS. So you never knowww

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the same brand of ear plugs during each practice exam and bought a new pack to take with me to the testing center. Keep them unopened because they will have to check it over. I used hearos, and they worked quite well and were comfortable for me.

My testing center supplied ear plugs and headphones. I think you will be most comfortable if you go in with a brand you have been using and practicing with.

My testing center provided over-ear noise protection (or whatever you call them), but they didn't fit very well at all, and the Skull Screws I brought drowned out a lot more noise. I guess you know yourself the best--if you've been taking practice exams in coffee shops or whatever, and scoring just as well as anywhere else, maybe you don't need them. I was really glad I brought mine--there was a loud fan, and this one girl was coughing, and pretty hoarsely, for about half the exam. At this point, what's a couple bucks anyways, right? :)

I used the ear plugs I brought underneath the over ear noise cancelling headphones they provided. When I came back from a break, I forgot to put my ear plugs in at first, and I was surprised at how much I could hear... However, with the ear plugs in and the head phones on, all I could hear was my own inner monologue. It was definitely helpful, but if I hadn't been using them to taking every test that way, it may have been a little strange.

Hey guys, I had a quick question.

I was wondering how loud it was in the test room, and if you guys recommended wearing ear plugs.

I wasn't sure if I should wear earplugs because my ear always rings (tinitus), and the ringing isn't normally bothersome, unless if I'm wearing earplugs; and if it wasn't too loud in the test room (e.g people talking while signing in/coughing or sneezing loudly), I wasn't planning on not wearing them.

Thanks!

Depends on which test center you're using. And maybe on who else is in there that day.

I used South Portland Maine's Prometric, and it was almost silent. Then I used Boston's Comm Ave location and someone kept making this super loud shrill shricking noise trying to clear his throat every several minutes for about the first hour. In both places, people would get up and leave the room every now and then. In Boston, people would actually hang out in the testing room and stand up staring at people. That part was very distracting. (I don't recommend that because it's against the rules. No one seemed to care that day though.)

I had ear plugs. I heard some noise but I didn't know what it was it was muffled, so it didn't really bother me. And it continued for for a while. After I finished and took my ear plugs out I heard what the noise was, this girl was singing and humming

Reactions: 1 user